Adding music stored on Mac mini to existing library of cd rips

Hi having owned the rose r/s 250 now for about a year now I find it a fantastic addition to the way I want to listen to music , I’ve added a Samsung 4tb ssd and ripped maybe 600 cds in flac , I also have a large collection of music on a Mac mini that I was using with Roon before I purchased the rose , my questions are , can I connect the rose to the Mac mini and the roses 4tb show up as a storage on the Mac mini then drag and drop , like a external hard drive would behave , I know I can experiment and find this out myself and I will , my other question is once I’ve figured out how to get the music of the Mac mini onto the rose will all the music integrate or will the rescan show up just the Mac music or just the cd rips , I’ve had music mysteriously disappear before that I know I’ve copied , thank you for taking the time to read and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, mark

Sorted , I found a way and everything worked out well , It has put me off asking for help , maybe not a bad thing as I did sort it out myself , but it also makes me wonder what the point of this community forum is I did think it was a place to ask for help if you was stuck and the knowledge you gained would then enable you to become a valuable part of the community , 50 posts in 24 hours discussing a fuse and nobody offering advice to a novice hifi enthusiast, I’m not knocking how people want to spend their spare time but it seems pointless thinking of this as somewhere you could come to for help and advice , I’ve not got the knowledge to join in in a conversation about the benefits of a piece of wire , I can’t even think why a cable would be directional , it makes no sense to me , not even sure I care , if anybody needs to know how to connect a Mac mini to a rose rs250 and transfer music I’d be glad to help, if it would save someone hour trying to figure it out on your own it would be worth it

3 Likes

@Collie I am struggling connecting my Mac mini to an rs250a. Is this something you could walk me through?

Hi , sorry for the delay I don’t come on here as often now as I find it a bit clicky , I will try my best to walk you through , it’d be my pleasure , that’s how community forums are suppose to work , right , if I remember right , first thing make sure your Mac mini and your rose are on the same Wi-Fi network , go to settings on the rose , then storage settings , in there you’ll see ‘SMB ID/PW SETTINGS ‘ touch this you’ll be prompted to enter your account , (I think anything you put in will be ok as long as you enter the same later on your Mac mini )
Now go to your Mac , load finder > move >connect to server
Type in the ip address of your rose , for example , Smb//123.456.7.9
Click connect , then type in the id and password that you made on the rose earlier
Select the folder you want to connect
Finder >shared , you will see a folder named with your ip
Good luck , if this doesn’t work let me know and I will set mine back up and physically go through it again to refresh my memory , mark

Thanks @Collie , I tried this. It’s when I enter the ip address with smb, that I get the error. Everyone else is saying this is what to do, but it’s not working on my Mac.

@Collie please see my other thread “unable to connect 250a to mac mini”. thx.

@collie, now my mac is connected to the RS250A. i’d like to be able to play files from an external hard drive (ehd) connected to the mac mini. i can see the files on this ehd, but the 250 wont play them. they are a file format listed as able to be read by 250 (flac and m4a). Have you been able to do this?

Thx!

@Snipe2084

I have a few questions for you.

1. When you connect Mac mini and RS250a wirelessly, you can see the SSD files connected to RS250a on Mac mini. At that time, are you trying to play music from SSD on Mac mini and play music through RS250a?
    If so, music cannot be played over a wireless connection. If you want to play SSD sound source connected to RS250a on Mac mini, you need to download and play RoseConnect PC app.

2. If you want to play the sound source stored in Mac mini through RS250a, follow the method below.
    2-1. Go to the link below, extract the Asio driver, and install it on your PC.
    ASIO Driver (For Windows PC)_May 31, 2022
    2-2. In the In/Out settings for RS250a, select USB IN from the Input section.
    2-3. Connect the USB-B port on the back of the RS250a to the USB-A port on the PC with a USB cable.
    2-4. Play a digital sound source on the PC. Volume is controlled by the PC player volume.
    If you select RS250a as the PC’s sound output, the sound will be played from RS250a.

3. Please tell me what you intend to use the RS250a and Mac mini connection for.

Thank you

Hi , I have not tried to be honest , I bought a 4tb ssd for my hifi rose and ripped a lot of cds onto it , their was still a few I couldn’t locate physically but I knew I had previously ripped to I tunes so that was my reason for connecting to my Mac mini , I bought the Mac mini in 2014 to use as a streamer it worked well but when the rs250 became available it changed everything and made the Mac mini redundant I have everything in one place now and am happy the rs250 is a fantastic piece of kit , good luck with whatever your doing sorry I couldn’t be of assistance this time but if I can help with anything else I am more than happy to , have a nice day