Faint cracking noise when playing low frequency bass

Hi ROSELOA,

I did the experiment during weekend, experimented with Pre Out Level Setting of different values and each time I changed the value I did press the APPLY button on the top right corner of the screen. Below are my results:

Source: TIDAL Eagles - The Long Run MQA 192 kHz, play volume = 68

Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 100 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 200 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 300 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.

Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 400 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 500 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre out Setting value (balanced) = 1000 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 2000 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.

I did not try 3000 mV, 4000 mV and 5000 mV because the play volume was too loud.

As control experiment, I also did the following tests:

Source: TIDAL Ealges - The Long Run MQA 192kHz
Without Pre Out Level (i.e. OFF and APPLY), the cracking noise was heard at play volume 50.

Source: NAIM CD5XS, CD Pink Martini Sympathique, track 5 La Soledad
Without Pre Out Level (i.e. OFF and APPLY), the cracking noise was heard at the piano solo portion with play volume 48.

Also, I got additional inputs from Kinki Studio technical support, they said their XLR inputs (for EX-M7 Power Amp) are single-ended design. I am connecting RS150 to EX-M7 by a pair of XLR cables.

ROSELOA, what is your assessment with these information? I appreciate if you may suggest the next step. Thanks!

Thomas

Hello,

Do you have the same noise when you play with RCA cable?
If so, how much volume is there no noise?

Hi ROSELOA,

Good question, I am thinking this too. But I don’t have a pair of RCA cable, I need to buy a new pair and experiment with it. Let me go downtown to buy a new pair of RCA cable and try them out during this long weekend. I will report next week. Thanks a lot!

Hi ROSELOA,

I am sorry to report late of the progress here. I changed from XLR cable to RCA cables. I tested many tracks and I do NOT think the problem resolved. I still hear noise. Noise is heard particular for the following conditions:

(1). High resolution tracks.
(2). Quiet music and loud music, that is during the introduction of a song when the loudness is increasing. I think it is related to the dynamic range.
(3). Noise heard for volume set at 50.

I would like your guidance. Thanks!

Hi ROSELOA,

Please response! Thanks.

Hi ROSELOA,

I appreciate if you may response to my problem, please. Thanks!

Hi ROSELOA,

Do you have any updates regarding my problem described in this thread? Hope you come up with some suggestions. Thanks !

Hi ROSELOA,

I have not heard from you since I reported that I changed my cable from XLR to RCA. Are you still following on my problem? I leave it to you but I would like to hear your conclusion of this chat, including you want to close it. Just to have a closure of my product experience with Rose, thanks!

Hello @thomas.tse ,

I’m apologize for late reply.
I checked with engineer about your issue, but there’s no way of reproducing your issue.

Please send your RS150B to your distributor and better get a overhaul.