RS150B sound intermittently cuts off when using optical input or HDMI ARC

The problems is occurs every time I use optical input or HDMI ARC. The sound will intermittently disappear for 3-5 seconds, occurring 1-2 times in an hour.

I have tried to test several connections as follows.

1. TV’s optical output to RS150B (problem occurs)
  2. TV’s HDMI ARC to RS150B (problem occurs)
  3. PC’s optical output to RS150B (problem occurs)
  4. PS5’s HDMI output to TV and ARC to RS150B (problem occurs)
  5. Roon nucleus USB to RS150B (DAC mode) (no problem)

I’ve replaced the new HDMI and optical cables, but the problem still occurs.

Is it possible that the input board is the problem?

I believe I experience dropouts as well re: Optical and/or HDMI/ARC use (from new 79" Sony Bravia OLED TV).

What’s challenging is it is not always reproducible!

What I hear occasionally is this intermittent “pfft…pft…pffft…pfft…pfft” sound that can be quite loud if amp is up and shocks everyone in the house! It may clear up as the 150b “adjusts” to the input change OR it just continues until I either reboot 150b or change input back to Rose.

Crazy, right?

Yet, other times it works (and syncs audio) very well.

It’s very strange that this kind of problem occurs. I still need to use these input connections. In the past, my old streaming CXN v2 never had any of these issues.

Have you tried other upstream (optical) devices connected to Rose?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Is there a way to fix this problem yet?

@Aqual2iuS

I’m sorry for late reply.
Sometimes these symptoms appear on our side and sometimes not.
Please answer a few questions.

1. Please tell us the model name of your TV
  2. Will the same symptoms appear even if you reboot or factory reset your RS150b?
    RS150b–>Settings–>System settings–>Factory reset
  3. Can you take a picture so that the port is visible before and after connecting the cable to RS150b and TV?

My TV is an old LG 47LM7600. It supports only ACR (not e-ARC). After the factory reset, the problem still occurred, but it looks a little bit good. I tested for around 3 hours and continued to find a sound disappearing twice, around 1 sec. I also needed to spend time testing the optical input.

Picture before connecting the cable to RS150B, HDMI icon appearance will be disabled.

After connecting cable to RS150B, HDMI appearance will be enabled. HDMI1 is ARC, and HDMI4 is Display Out from RS150B.

@Aqual2iuS

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

This issue is not currently appearing for us. We are continuously reviewing this issue. If a problem appears, we will forward it to the software team for correction.

This has been a problem with the HiFi Rose RS150b’s ESS ES9038Pro DAC chip since 2019 as noted in the rose community forum and other audio forums. I pointed this out multiple times and even tried to provide some technical feedback on the actual solution that should be able to be implemented.

The ESS chip’s default jitter handling or “PLL bandwidth” is too aggressive/low. It can be adjusted if HiFi Rose would implement such a function in the OS or app to disable the jitter mitigation or adjust the PLL bandwidth. I provided a link to the datasheet about this in October 2023.

If there is still confusion about this or denying it’s a problem then I hope this serves as a warning to any future buyers to stay away from HiFi Rose hardware if you are going to use it with a TV, particularly LG TVs at the least.