Active subwoofer connection

How do I connect an active subwoofer (B&W PV1)? I guess that’s OK to use an Y split cable from single ended RCA outputs, but are XLR and RCA outputs active at the same time?

Well, it is not.
Both sub and speakers have pretty complicated crossovers (electric-wise) therefore you will compromise signal both in speakers and sub.
Sub out on amplifiers exists for a reason.

Thank you for your prompt and kind reply. Please excuse me, but unfortunately I don’t understand your answer. Put it simple, do you mean that there is no way to connect the SR150 to the built in amplifier in a subwoofer and make it work?

Hi Diego,
The main problem is that in such a scenario, you will have connected not only speakers on amplifier output but sub, as well.
As electricity is an active connection, you cannot predict what will happen in the meaning of electricity. This could lead to different electrical noises that you do not want to have in signal cables.

Thank you once again for your reply and attention. It puzzles me that the functionality to connect an active subwoofer is missing from such a sophisticated product, as the SR150 is. This functionality is not uncommon in budget units.

Dear Diego,
I do not know. I just checked; nothing of my gear got sub out. On the other hand, I cannot see the purpose of it.

As an example, Marantz NR1200, very budget, has specific sub connections. The purpose of it is to connect an “active” sub, which is “very” popular.

1 Like

However, I do not understand why.
Maybe some electronic music really needs that. Such low-frequency volume does not exist in nature.
I have enough bass with both pairs of speakers (controlled bass and not booming or standing waves).

With all respect, it’s a matter of opinion. Many people out there, for reasons of space or what ever, invest in a monitor speaker set up and have no way of reaching the low frequecies without a sub. I believe that this group is considerable, as the market for subs is significant. Even with a full range speaker system set up, as I have, I’m of the opinion that it’s an advantage to let a sub handle the low frequencies. This is why, I am a big sub advocate and it makes a lot of sense to me. Even more, I wouldn’t consider a Hi-Fi system without a sub.

1 Like

I understand.
As a mathematician and musician (I play piano and flute), I do not take systems seriously WITH subs.
But I agree with you to disagree. :blush:

You’r welcome! Diversity makes this world a joy to live in. Just let me express a final thought. A placebo feeling you might say.

For some, Hi-Fi is what can be meassured and perceived by the human hearing. I’m of the opinion that an important factor is missing in this reasoning, for lack of better words, the ”visceral feeling”.

Have a good day!

1 Like

Diego, I absolutely agree with you.
As you said, “visceral feeling” is what is important and, to be honest, I do not mind how the individual will achieve it as long as they - fully enjoy it.

I look forward to SR150 MkII.

:wink:

1 Like

Not yet. I just acquired brand new NOS McIntosh C22 60th Anniversary Edition.