Apple Music / Tidal

Hi Rose,

Appreciate advice on:

1 - How to create/ delete a playlist and add/ delete songs.
2 - Why some songs in a album are dimmed and cannot play?
3 - While playing songs from different albums at the same volume setting, I noticed some songs were playing softer and I had to adjust the volume up. Why is that so?

Thank you.
George Kok

To point 3 - that’s normal as they either recorded or (re-)mastered at different gain levels :+1:t2:

@Georgekok

Let me answer to your questions.

1. We will explain how to create and delete playlists in RoseConnectapp, and how to add and delete songs in playlists.
    1-1. RoseConnect app–>Tidal or Apple music–>My Tidal–>My Playlist–> + button at the top right–> After setting the playlist name, click Confirm.
    1-2. RoseConnect app–>Tidal or Apple music–>My Tidal–>My Playlist–>Click the 3-dot button to the right of the Playlist you want to delete–>Delete
    1-3. In Tidal or Apple Music, click the 3-dot button to the right of the album or song you want to add to the playlist and click “Add to Playlist”. Then, Create New Playlist at the top and created Playlist lists at the bottom appear.
    If you want to add a new playlist, click Create New Playlist to create a playlist and click Complete to complete the addition. And if you want to add to the previously created Playlist, select the previously created Playlist and click Complete.
    1-4. Finally, if you want to delete a song in the Playlist, RoseConnectPremium app–>Tidal–>Tidal home–>My Playlist–>View all–>Select Playlist–> Click 3 on the right of the song you want to delete Click the button and press Delete.

2. Are you saying that there are dimmed or unplayable songs in any album?
    2-1. Tidal does not support Dolby Atmos music. And Apple Music also doesn’t support lossless music. Is the sound source that cannot be played is a Dolby Atmos or lossless sound source?
    2-2. Can you take a picture and show it when you say that some songs on the album are dimmed?

3. As Bruab explained above, all audio files are mastered at different gain levels. So, even if the volume is set to the same value, the sound volume may be different for each sound source.

Thank you

1 Like

1.1 Rose Connect App’s Apple Music has no + option to add playlist. These were added using Apple Music App.

1.2 Rose Connect App’s Apple Music has no Delete playlist option.

1.4 Rose Connect App’s Apple Music has no Delete song from playlist option.

2.1 The album indicates Lossless in Apple Music App but there’s no indication in Rose Connect App’s Apple Music. Some songs are playable and some are not.
2.2 Song 7, 8 and 9 are dimmed and not playable.

Thank you.

@Georgekok

Hello

1. Currently, Apple Music app does not have the ability to add and delete playlists and delete songs in playlists. Apple needs to provide related APIs, but since Apple is so closed, we haven’t received the relevant APIs yet.
  2. Our Hi-Fi Rose does not support lossless music, so it is not displayed.
  3. If you look at the last picture, the dimmed songs will be dimmed in the Apple music app. Some of the dimmed songs are missing songs that cannot be played due to the request of the copyright holder.

Thank you

Hi @ROSEHAN, can you please clarify your comments on Apple Music Lossless? Apple Music supports lossless streaming up to 192Khz. Using my RS150B with a McIntosh DAC, the DAC shows a 96Khz sample rate when playing Apple Music.

In your comments you seem to indicate that the RS150B will not support lossless formats. Is that correct? Why would it send a 96Khz sample rate to an external DAC when playing Apple Music?

All of this is why it is important for Rose to display the sample rates that it is playing to avoid confusion.

1 Like

@Manny

I apologize for my confusing answer.
If you play an Apple Music lossless sound source in Rose, it can be played, but it is downsampled and played. The fact that it does not support lossless music does not mean that it cannot be played.

Thank you

Thanks @ROSEHAN. I still question why it sends a 96Khz sample rate to my DAC. That is not likely a downsample - unless the source was 192Khz.

You confirmed that it can play lossless music. But it does not explain the sample rate being sent to the DAC.

If I play a CD, my DAC shows the correct 44.1Khz sample rate. Why would content from Apple Music show 96Khz unless that is what Apple Music is sending and the RS150B is properly receiving it.

Does the internal DAC in the RS 150B work differently than an external unit?

Maybe others on the forum can comment of their experience with Apple Music or other streaming services.

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

@Manny

I hope my answer helps.

Apple Music supports lossless music only for products manufactured by Mac, and only aac256 bps is supported for technology disclosure for riding devices.
In the future, Apple will be able to apply this part when it is released.

Thank you

Thanks @ROSEHAN.

My remaining question is why is the RS150B seemingly sending a 96Khz signal to my external DAC?

AAC256 is typically 44.1Khz or 48Khz sample rates.

Is the RS150B resampling the signal up to 96Khz?

Or is it Apple sending some bogus signal?

@Manny

1. When playing a 192kHz sound source, the external DAC must also play at 192kHz. Is the PCM Resampling Frequency set to 96kHz in the output settings of In/Out Settings? If so, change the Resample Rate to 192kHz and click Apply at the top right.

2. Yes, AAC256 is typically 44.1Khz or 48Khz sample rates.

3. Apple Music is played through the SDK, but Rose cannot be involved separately, so it is played by upsampling to 96kHz.

Thank you

Thanks for the response @ROSEHAN.

In response to your question, I am not resampling on my RS150B. I am using the digital AES/EBU interface between the RS150B and my external DAC. Max sample rate is Auto and the resample rate is Original. The same settings for the balanced (analog XLR ports).

If using Qobuz, I can see the sample rates on my external DAC matching the stream sample rate - it will vary from 44.1 to 192 depending on the song selected.

When using Apple Music, the external DAC is always reading 96KHz. This indicates to me that either Apple is somehow sending a 96KHz sample each time, which is feasible if it was sending down its lossless content at 96kHz.

Or the Rose RS150B is resampling Apple Music to 96kHz even though the resampling settings are set to Original.

Is this a bug? Or is Apple Music lossless being sent and processed by the RS150B?

@Manny

Please see the 3rd answer I left above.
This is not a bug. Apple Music is upsampled to 96kHz for reasons that Rose cannot be involved in.

Thank you

Dear Team,

Do you support Apple Lossless music now? I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide guidance on how to properly set up the apple music player to enable the play back of lossless music files on HIFIRose system

@1x1

Apple Music is supported losslessly only for Mac-manufactured products, and only aac256 bps is supported for technology disclosure for riding devices.
In the future, when Apple releases this part, we will be able to apply it.

Thank you