BBC Sounds to access BBC radio

What is the news in respect of UK listeners having to access BBC radio through
BBC Sounds from mid 2022.
The message the BBC broadcast advises:
“If I can hear this message I should contact the manufacturer”

5 Likes

Here in Belguim I listen also to the BBC radio. Hope you will resolve this issue. Thank Frank Vantvelt

On the BBC website I have found this information:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/recent-changes-to-bbc-sounds/shoutcast-closure

I wondered if RoseFM is compatible with DASH of HLS technologies, or can be made compatible. I will greatly miss the BBC radio after May. I know I can stream through Airplay, but I don’t find that convenient.

It would be good if we got a reply to this but I have been waiting since February for
a response from HiFi Rose.

I just don’t think they realise how important this is for owners in the UK and Europe.

2 Likes

Would perhaps the Rose team be so kind to offer an answer or any acknowledgment of these questions, please?

@Jos is asking about compatibility and I guess it would be nice if he too could get an answer? I also agree with @colin that - for many Rose owners - this is important…

Just to offer some context to our Korean friends, the BBC is perhaps the most respected and popular English-speaking broadcaster across the world, let alone Europe.

I listen to it on the Rose regularly and I am sure it would be a big loss if - suddenly - any of the many BBC radio channels would not be accessible by many other Rose users.

Below is info copied from a BBC webpage:

### Streamer device

A Streamer is a Hi-Fi separate that can be connected to an existing Hi-Fi system that uses an internet connection to play media including radio stations and podcasts. It’s recommended that prior to purchasing, to check if a particular device is supported. You will need to speak to the manufacturer and/or retailer about this. We also recommend that the device supports either DASH or HLS audio streaming formats. Search online for ‘Wi-Fi streamer.’

### What audio streaming formats do the BBC Support?

We recommend that a device supports the DASH and HLS formats. You may wish to check with the manufacturer and/or retailer whether it supports these formats (and whether they support BBC Radio content) prior to purchasing.

### How do I find out if a device is supported?

We list connected TV devices that are supported. We also state requirements for mobile/tablet devices as well as information on smart speakers. For any other devices, you’ll need to check with the manufacturer and/or the retailer.

1 Like

alessandro,
Go to this link
https://www.webradiostreams.nl/streaming2.html#bbc
Here you will find a good overview of the Radio stations in UK.

Be sure to read this text!!!

Er zijn radiostations die buiten het VK alleen met VPN beluisterd kunnen worden. Soms wordt om een postcode gevraagd. Die is te vinden in bijv. Postcode London | postal-code.co.uk. Her en der, zoals bij Bauer Media, is inloggen noodzakelijk.

Yes, it’s in Dutch.

Translated:
There are radio stations that can only be listened to via VPN outside the UK. Sometimes a zip code is requested. This can be found in e.g. Postcode London | postal-code.co.uk. Here and there, as with Bauer Media, logging in is necessary.

I hope this gives you a direct answer.
And when you can’t wait
use the RoseRadio + to add radio stations via smartphone or tablet.
Hopefully this feature will also be available on PC or Mac.

Good luck

Thank you @ARey11, yours all valuable tips to access radio stations.

The issue though is that the BBC has announced that all their radio channels will only be accessible through BBC Sounds in May this year (which is very soon now…) and manufacturers’ systems need to be compatible with DASH and/or HLS technologies.

We’re asking HiFi Rose is to have a look at what other users and myself having been posting here so that - hopefully - the BBC channels can continue to be accessed.

1 Like

Go also to this link

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp

I can only help you from outside uk

Any link in the above to BBC radio channels will no longer work when the BBC implement their new access rules.
The only access will be through BBC sounds.

I am still waiting a reply to this question from Rose - they just don’t seem to be interested.
I have contacted the UK imported and yet again had no reply.
This is just not good enough.
If I lose access to BBC radio I will have to sell the streamer and I expect a lot of other users in the the UK will do the same.
Rose’s attitude seems to be - ignore the user and they will go away but so will their UK
sales

You can buy a chromecast audio device, you can find them in ebay. It’s not a native solution, but is the way I listen to certain stations

I am not spending thousands on a HiFi Rose product and then having to buy some additional item just to get it to play BBC radio.
I would rather sell it and I expect many others will as well.

1 Like

Would be good to know if ‘BBC Sounds’ could be implemented in the future by ROSE and if they are considering it on their future software roadmap.

Not sure how it compares, but we have TiDAL & Qobuz implementations and the BBC Sounds app/API would be a good addition across the ROSE streamer platform.

3 Likes

I contacted the UK importers and have now received 2 replies.
The latest reply is:
Hi Colin,

Just coming back to you with an update on this - Hi-Fi Rose are currently working hard to update all the BBC stations on the Rose Software - there are currently 187 different channels on the software, so it is no quick task unfortunately.

Apparently it is possible to add your own URL’s manually, so they are currently looking into this process and hopefully, as a shorter term fix, we can provide you instructions on that once they send them over. That way, providing there is a higher quality stream available, you could add some of the ones you listen to.

All the best,

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require further assistance.

Best regards

Henley Audio Scott Lawson
Technical Support
T:+44(0)1235 511 166
W: www.henleyaudio.co.uk

Henley Audio, Unit B, Park 34, Collett, Didcot, OX11 7WB

BBC radio stopped working today.
My wife was very angry this morning at not being able to listen to BBC Radio 4.
I am patiently waiting for an answer from HiFI Rose.
Please fix this issue ASAP to stop my wife complaining.
Colin

Confirmed the ‘mp3’ streams are not accessible - error reported by HiFi Rose ‘AVERROR_HTTP_OTHER_4XX’.

However, did a search in Rose Radio for ‘BBC Radio 4’ and a number of alternative streams of various bit rates are shown and are working. AAC & AAC+ streams working.

Personally I have all the 320kbps BBC Radio streams saved as favourites and named according. Had to assign my own icons. They are all currently working.

Be nice if I could re-order 1-to-n but they do all work as they are.

Radio 4: https://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_four_fm.m3u8

Others Here

Would still be nice to have proper ‘BBC Sounds’ App integration.

2 Likes

Woorlord
Thanks for the update.
I had tried searching using just BBC which returned nothing useful.
Searching using the full BBC radio 4 was successful.
I might not have tried this without your post so a big thanks!!
Colin

1 Like