CD Player Connection Issues - Multiple Input types

I’ve got my Oppo BDP83 connected to my RS150B via arc for BluRay Playback.
There will be occasions though when I just want to play a CD or SACD without having to use the ARC HDMI connection.

I’ve tried connecting my CD player using coaxial out from the player to coaxial in on the RS 150. I can’t get any output though from this connection. Only audio comes back through the TV and not my amplifier. I realise I can make changes in the TV arc menu to use amplifier audio instead of the TV speakers, but this won’t solve the problem of wanting to use the CD player as exactly that and not have to go through the TV.

Can I possibly use the preamp jacks to take the BDP inputs ?

I’ve tried using analogue connections as well as line in but still no luck. Surely, I should be able to use two different connection types and depending on which one I want to use I simply use that input which I’ve always done with previous DAC’s / amplifiers.

I always use unbalanced outputs so it’s only the input type that changes.

Update: Think I’ve found a solution of sorts. I’ve connected analogue outs from the BDP directly to the amp and I can play CD’s standalone. Unfortunately though I bypass the DAC on the RS150 which I’d think is better than the older DAC on the Oppo.

I don’t know how the 83 is setup - I just have the newer oppo203.
I had to go into the setup menu, and tell the player, to use Toslink (or coax) out for CDs.
And remember - ARC (Audio Return Channel) is used by the TV - so your oppo must be connected to the TV on one HDMI, and the TV on the ARC port to the RS to get sound.
For any kind of Stereo - toslink/coax direct to the RS is the way to go.
And of course, you need to change input to either toslink/coax on the rose as well.
Your CDs will then be transferred digital to the Rose.
hope this helps - and again - oppo does not have ARC.

Thanks very much,

I’ll give that a go. I’m usually pretty good with this sort of stuff but this has had me scratching my head, makes sense though.

Aware that the Oppo didn’t have ARC, hopefully the architecture will be pretty similar from an input / output perspective…

I’ll drop back and let you know how I fare.

Thanks again