Connecting a 180 to a rel sub

Hi just bought a new 180 from lee at Yorkshire hifi.has anyone connected a rel sub hight level as we are getting the buzz of the rel.But as soon as the amp is turned on it goes.Cant use the black return lead as it’s class d amp has anyone done this and had a conclusion if the amp can be damaged by this.

1 Like

Hi Ste.
I have exactly the same problem, in case it helps you, my experience is the following.
I have connected a Rel t9i with a three-wire Rel Neutrix cable to High-Level Input.

-With the RA180 “OFF” and REL “ON”.
In RA 180 BTL Mode “ON” if the Rel buzzes.
If BTL Mode “OFF” nothing buzzes.
(If RA180 is “ON”, it never buzzes.)

I have done all kinds of tests with the help of my store and without results.
I currently have BTL Mode on BTL-A (400w)
According to the RA180 and Rel manual, I have the yellow and red cable connected, the black loose without connecting.
Personally, to turn on the equipment, the last thing I turn on is the Rel, and to turn everything off,
first the Rel, then the rest. It is not the ideal solution, of course, ideally it should never buzz.
The Rel Standby switch that disconnects this if there is no signal input is no longer valid
because if you turn off the amp it will never stop buzzing and therefore the Rel will not turn off.
I’ve been like this for months. Sounds really good. That’s how it stays if no one gives me another idea.
Sorry for the English because it’s a Google translation, unfortunately I don’t know English.
Greetings

Hi you have to connect the sub with rel airship as it will damage the amp.Lee at Yorkshire av looked into this for me. as this is a a/d amp class d connection won’t work.He said it will burn out one of the sound boards out in the long run .I’m now waiting for airship 2 to arrive to connect my s510 rel. I was gutted as I had the rel baseline blue lead connection which is much better than the supplied lead

Hello,

Can you confirm that REL’s Airship actually solves the problem of buzzing with BTL Mode “ON”. I am running two RELs S/812 in my setup and had to turn BTL off due to buzz issue. I hope it is only a temporary configuration as BTL ON gives much better control with my speakers.