Connecting RS130 to fibre

:man_facepalming:

Well, itā€™s your money. Might as well put an audiophile fuse in it, too. Will make just as much difference (i.e. none whatsoever).

So, connecting from a router (or mesh node/repeater), you have connected a copper ethernet cable, which then is connected to an adapter which then connects to a fiber cable which then connects to the RS 130
router/node>RJ45 ethernet copper>adapter>SFP fiber cable>RS130
Is that the set up?

1 Like

Iā€™ve trying to get my RS130 to talk to my Nighthawk x10ā€™s SFP port and it refuses to work.

Iā€™m using Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL and a CommScope cable. Has anyone found that certain SFP modules donā€™t work with the RS130?

When I loop the X10 transceiver into itself to test it, the router recognizes the module, so the issue isnā€™t the transceivers or the router.

Ideally has anyone tried and gotten Cisco or Finisar transceivers to work?

Hello Nuforce, yours SFP is actually SFP+ which supports 10Gbs transmission, I recall that someone has mentioned the RS130 support SFP (not SFP+), that may be the reason why it doesnā€™t workā€¦

I am using Finisar SFP (not SFP+) now which works on my RS130ā€¦

1 Like

Which Finisar are you using?

I will try some 1gb Finisar although those might not work in my router which is SPF+ā€¦

I use this one which is working fine in my system:

1 Like

thanks. Thinking about it, it makes sense that the Rose wonā€™t work with SFP+ since this is a newer technology, and it canā€™t be ā€œforward compatibleā€ whereas it is more likely that my router will be ā€œbackward compatibleā€ with older SFP 1G technology.

I will order a pair of these 1G Finisar now. FYI the Cisco AOC cables arenā€™t compatible with the Rose either which is a shame since the consensus is that this is the ultimate cable, even better than the Finisar 1G + CommScope/Corning.

When I use the Cisco AOC cable the streamer and router refuse to talk to each other :frowning:

I find this whole SFP thing very confusing. Iā€™ve just bought a 1G media converter and when I plug my router into it via ethernet, then both my Cisco AOC 10G and Finisar 10G transceivers work fine in the Rose?!

For some reason the Rose and Nighthawk x10 wonā€™t communicate directly via SFP. Is it because the media converter is converting a 10G signal into a 1G one?

Itā€™s perhaps the media converter converts to whatever port you insert: either the sfp or the sfp+. The culprit is there streamer and its requirements: in this case the RS130 canā€™t have anything else than sfp ports. Thatā€™s also stated in the manual.
For sfp, you have the choice of single mode or multi mode sfpā€™s and both connect with LC connectors. Because they will mirror eachother on both sides: select either sm or mm LC-LC fiber cables. Preferably fiber with a Corning core for better sonnics.
Once youā€™ve got everything in place, youā€™ll be glad you pushed on: the result is definitely worth it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve bought a pair of FTLF1318P3BTL for use with my CommScope cable hopefully that will sort it, I donā€™t want to use a media converter if I donā€™t need to.

I also recommend the Nighthawk x10, I use it with a 19v linear power supply.

FTLF1318P3BTL works perfectly with my Rose and Nighthawk X10 SFP port!

Now I donā€™t need a media converter.

The sound is so analogue now, wow, SFP connection works so well, well done Hifi Rose team.

1 Like

How do you connect from your streamer to your DAC?

Coaxialā€¦

Groovy, Im trying USB atm

I have a high end ethernet cable right now(Mad Scientist Audio), but given the low cost of the componets needed to connect fiber to my RS130, Iā€™m going to give this a test to see if I can hear difference. If its as good as the copper cable, or better, Iā€™ll keep it and sell the copper cable. If notā€¦lesson learned.

I bought cheap switch with SFP and 10Gtek 1000Base-SX LC Transceivers and it works fine. Iā€™ve immediately heard positive difference in sound using optical connection vs LAN cable. Via optical sound is fuller, harshness on highs disappeared and blacker background.

2 Likes

Using a switch with SFP port is a good idea as it removes the need for media converters that always sound bad, in my experience.

Buy some proper transceivers and quality cable however.

Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL and yellow CommScope is that you need.

I use these trio of items between my Blackhawk X10 and my RS130.

Doesnā€™t the switch just have an internal media converter?