Constant ticking heard from speakers

Hello All,

Love my RS250. I have a concern regarding a constant faint ticking sound that comes when I turn the RS250 on.

RS250 > Musical Paradise MP-701 tube pre > Audio Note OTO > Reference 3a MM 92db

I was chasing what sounded like static sound when listening to music, only notice when streaming between songs. I replaced tubes in Audio Note, EL84, 12AX7 and12AU7. But static ticking continues.

With only the Audio Note amp turned on there is the normal hiss/ transformer buzzing.

The ticking sound stopped when I powered down the RS250. I am using AudioQuest Monsoon power cable plugged into a Pananmax power conditioner.

Each device is plugged into its own channel so no shared channel.

Digital filter is set as Linear phase slow roll off
Upsampling rate 176

Please advise

I upgraded from a ethernet only streamer I had for a few years. I used a powerline ethernet adapter to deliver internet.

I am hoping that when I unplug the adapter and use only wireless with the RS250 that gets rid of the ticking. I prefer ethernet as the speed is more than 2x faster than wireless.

I’ll update

Do you still get the ticking if you were to bypass the pre and connect 250 to the power amp directly?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that as well but the ticking is present with the RS250 over ethernet directly to power amp.

Has anyone switched from ethernet to wireless and noticed any difference in sound quality?

That’s strange. I suppose one could also try plugging headphones in to see if ticking is present there as well, but even if it isn’t it it might only prove that it’s not coming from the DAC or anything before it in the signal chain.

For what it’s worth, on my 250 as well as 520, there is no ticking and no audible difference between using WiFi or Ethernet. I primarily use Roon to feed both Roses, but it should not really matter.

Is the ticking present when the 250 is on but not playing anything?

Probably time to talk to your dealer and see what they can suggest. I haven’t tried feeding digital zeroes to mine, but both are dead silent when not playing anything when either the volume of 520 or the volume of the external amp for 250 is turned up the the level that would incinerate my speakers if they were playing something.

Great news! It was the power line Ethernet adapter making the tick sound. I removed it from the system and connect wirelessly.

The hiss is at the level before the RS250 was in my system.

Hope this helps some one here.

Oh interesting. I think there should be PoE filters available if oyu want to put it back on wired…