Copying files to Internal SSD extremely slow

@ROSELOA what is the normal speed of copying files to internal SSD of RS250? I just installed a 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD which was rated at ~500MB/s. I’m getting only ~20MB/s speed copy files from my PC via gigabyte Ethernet (now it is even slower@5-7MB/s). Thanks!

Hello,

Is your SSD in RS250 and you’re trying to download files from PC via SMB?
If so, SMB connections are not as fast as connecting an SSD directly to a PC…

Small file transfer is slow

Slow transfer of small files through SMB occurs most commonly if there are many files. This is an expected behavior.

During file transfer, file creation causes both high protocol overhead and high file system overhead. For large file transfers, these costs occur only one time. When a large number of small files are transferred, the cost is repetitive and causes slow transfers.

The following are technical details about this problem:

SMB calls a create command to request that the file be created. Some code will check whether the file exists, and then create the file. Or some variation of the create command creates the actual file.

Each create command generates activity on the file system.

After the data is written, the file is closed.

All some time, the process suffers from network latency and SMB server latency. This is because the SMB request is first translated to a file system command and then to the actual file system latency to complete the operation.

If any antivirus program is running, the transfer slows down even more. This is because the data is typically scanned one time by the packet sniffer and a second time when it is written to disk. In some scenarios, these actions are repeated thousands of time. You potentially observe speeds of less than 1 MB/s.
1 Like

@ROSELOA The SSD was installed in RS250.
I found the same question was asked in Q&A section of Rose website (Writing speed to SSD : HiFi ROSE) but wasn’t answered.
It was RS150 in that case but still…

Thanks. That makes sense to me. I was copying 1000+ files when I had 20-30MB/s speed. But now the speed dropped to only 5-7MB/s even though I only copied a single album (~400MB with a dozen tracks). By the way I mapped the “ROSEDISK” folder as a network drive in my Windows 11 PC because RS250 didn’t show up in “Network” anymore.

1 Like

same issue, the transfer is painful slow. I get 100mb/s with my nas, and only 5mb/s with rose. Cables are ok.

Any solutions by now?

You can give ftp a try (it’s for me a bit faster than the smb v1 transfer), but if you need to use the network, than you’ve to wait until Rose will implement smb v2/v3.
For the initial transfer it’s better to take out the internal SSD and connect it to a PC for file transfer.