Digital output switches off temporarily during pause or a track change

I have an external DAC that turns on or off depending on the state of its digital input. (coax, optical, toslink)

Now when I change tracks or set a pause on the RS 250, the externally connected DAC always goes into standby mode for a short moment, even if I just press Next/Prevoius or Pause.

Is there a way to always keep the digital outputs active as long as the streamer is switched on?

Hello,

Unfortunately, I should answer ‘no’ for your question.
The USB connection is likely a little different. However, even this isn’t certain as I don’t know how your DAC handles the signal. From what you said, even the USB connection seems to be impossible. Sorry for not being of any help.

Thank you for your fast answer, i really preciate this!

Its actually quite simple: If the external DAC is locked then it powers on, if the DAC is out of lock then it goes to standby. Some DAC’s have to re-synchronize all the way and might mute for a short time as well.

Coming with some background (i have developped lots of firmware for B&O, Micromega and others) i would say. that an digital output should alway send a signal as long as the device is on. It should “fill in” pause with muted (all zero) audio.

Please ask your R&D dept, maybe they will consider this. I’m shure, some people have similary problems but dont know its reason.

Hello,

USB connection outputs ‘mute’ as data. However, coaxial and optical are not designed that way.

Hello,

Thats because USB acts right away if unplugged. USB and S/PDIF can’t be compared.

S/PDIF sources should be designed that way. A digital Output must never stop sending i’ts clock as long as the device is active.

Some DAC’s, especially olders, will have problems with your implementation. In best case they will just mute, some will lose synchronism and some might even power off.

I found a few design flaws within the RS 250 which can be overcome. But this one renders the RS 250 as useless for us. And that is really sad, because we really love the idea behind your products!

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.
What’s the model name of the DAC you have?

Hello,

To be honest i tried it with one DAC only, an very early Priscus Tube-DAC. It is based on a CS8412 receiver. It has an auto power on/off function depending on its locking status.

You won’t see that problem imidialtly like on USB, but i’m shure even some newer DAC’s with power sensing will make trouble as well.

Also take in account, that the whole digital signal path (input->dsp->dac->muting->outputs) will have to recover itself each time the digital input signal is lost and regained. Some DAC’s will mute longer, some will handle this in a few milliseconds.

I have implemented quite a few digital products and it was always good practice, to keep the S/PDIF stream running.

Try it with an old DAC, DSP or Surround-processor, maybe you can reproduce it.

I really want to keep the RS 250, i started to love it so much, LOL!

I have the same problem using the digital in to use the DAC on my Accuphase DP-700 using a coax connection. This DAC is much better than that of the Hifi Rose (not surprising when you take the price difference in consideration), but cannot be endured when it switches off and on again between tracks.