Digitize vinyl LP

Can I use the Rose 150B to digitize my old LPs? If so, how?

@Hausi

Please tell us the Rose device you use and the audio device you have.
Then we’ll tell you how to connect and what you need.

Taking the RS250a as an example, you can listen to LPs by connecting a turntable-phono amplifier to the analog in port on the rear of the RS250a and then connecting it to an integrated amplifier through the analog out port of the RS250a.

Thank you

I use a Rose 150B with a resolution cantata music center 3.0 and cantata c50 amplifier. The turntable is a rota with the cardridge reson lexe, all delivred by your partner reson.ch. The turntable is actually connected to the cantata music center and then to the amplifier.
I would like to use the 150B to record the digitized vinyl on the internal SSD or an USB stick either by connecting the turntable directly to the Rose or the music center connected to the Rose?

Why would anyone digitize the vinyl? Rather buy a proper turntable and skip digital harshness and less resolution in the sound… At the end, you can always find certan albums already digitized by distribution vendors having a proper master tape in place for that purpose…

What @Hausi was asking is actually whether he could “digitize” his vinyls LPs to the Rose = meaning, convert the analog LP/vinyl signal into digital files.

Of course, the answer is “no”, but one can’t escape - once again - that recurrent “Lost in Translation” feel one gets reading the replies of our most polite, kind and helpful Rose staff here.

By the way, “Lost in Translation” is a 2003 Sofia Coppola movie starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson.

Maybe to preserve the vinyl from wear and tear over time?

Maybe 99.99% of people have inadequate equipment to do it right. As sad, proper transfer is already done by vendors thus better to buy them than having ridiculous outcomes…

I’m not sure I will need a professional stuff to have a decent result. Digitize LP will be definitely cheaper than buy a digital copy of a whole large vinyl collection.

Digitize LP requires serious lp condition and high quality turntable/cartridge from analog side and prety high end adc based equipment to have a proper outcome. At least from my experience, have a solid analog part(Audio Note Level 3 gear) bit digitizer is very vey important to be superb to ge max out of vinyl. At the end, it will never ever be even close to the digital provided by music vendors as they did it from the master tape and vinyl is not even close to it.
However, anyone can do what they think is the best for them.
I usualy make copies from analog vinyl records on a tape, digitalization is blasphemy comparing the sound between them. :grinning:

My vinyl collection includes about 800 Lp’s in very good condition. When i’m driving I like to listen to music, it is convenient to use an USB stick. I know that there are digitizers that can be connected directly to a PC and this also allows editing.
For my purposes, however, this is unnecessary and the direct way via the Rose 150B would be much easier, if could copy the digital version directly to a USB stick, because my cars do not yet play vinyls yet.

Thank you for this information. I did not know that there were really vinyl players in cars.
Now I’m actually still waiting for the promised answer from Rohan (see above answer) regarding the necessary connections and the possible storage locations, after I have posted my configuration.

As there is no recording functionality on the Rose - this is not possible.
If they would implement an App on the Rose, this would work as all needed for recording is already existing (except software). If it makes sense, up to you.
I had a Cocktail Audio X45 on which this feature exists.
Today you can find all music on streaming plattforms like Qobuz or Tidal. And they can be also used when you are in your car.
I use Roon for my music collection, and Roon has an Export feature, which allows me to export music directly on a stick.
and just saying, that it’s not worth to digitize LPs anymore. I have 1500+ LPs and still listen to them frequently - and on the other side, when I’m not in the mood for LP, I stream over the Rose RS150.
2 Player, 2 different ways to listen to music.

Alessandro, Are you saying if the turntable has a USB out that you can’t record to digital? I have a AT-LP5 turntable and it has USB out. The manual states that you can use it for this purpose with audacity software. Maybe it’s the limitation of the Rose but from what I have observed, it’s possible to preserve the vinyl this way. Albeit, it does defeat the purpose of vinyl it’s an option.

Robert

Hey Robert, to my knowledge the Rose doesn’t offer recording capability from vynil.

I guess that your turntable’s manual referring to Audacity might be to record vynil to digital on a PC/Mac first and then plug in the digital files into the Rose…

Although I don’t have Roon, I use the Rose to enjoy all my music ripped on the internal SSD and - like @aswiss - play my vinyl records when I feel like.

1 Like

Hi Alesandro,

Sorry for confusion! I was talking about Audio Technical manual for turntable.

Thank you for clarifying the non record option for Rose 250. I was thinking maybe just use USB to HDD similar to using CD drive.

Robert

1 Like

And just saying - that the quality of a turntable with USB are pretty at the lower end - and the digitized vinyl will sound like crap. I had a Pro-Ject like this - and the result were poor.
If you wish, I can give you an example of 1 vinyl I was digitzing with my Cocktail X45. The quality is very good - it’s a Japan Version of an LP, to not play it that much.
Just write me a personal message