External clock for Rose 130

You want a Master Clock not a word clock. I would look at the Mutec Nano (or any of the Mutec master clocks), LHY OCK-2, https://www.beatechnik.com/lhy-audio-ock-2, this is the one I have or any of the After Dark audio master clocks. And yes, to my ears if you have one master clock controlling the streamer and the DAC you can achieve an increase in fidelity for sure.

Hello @duffer5 Duffer, thanks for point out this! I am now also looking into Mutec Nano, my DAC does not support external master/word clock, I am thinking about to use the Mutec MC3+ reclocking (via AES in/out) as well to my DAC while the Mutec Nano fed master clock signal to both RS130 and MC3+, do you think this is an appropriate setup?

Very much. Perfect setup.

@ROSEHAN shall the external clock be sinewave or rectangular please ? What voltage ?

@ZABOKS

Specifications for connecting an external clock to RS130 are as follows.

Master clock: 10MHz
Input rms: 1V rms

when connecting external clock, it should be sinewave

Thanks.
So @Bitspeed : Mutec clock output is SQUARE WAVE… Too Bad because its performances are interesting. Did you try it really ?

No, did not buy it yet
But I wonder if it would work with the square signal
Maybe anyone did test??

Why do you recommend sine wave only vs both sine and square wave for external clock connection. @ROSEHAN

Because as Rosehan Said, external clock should be SINEWAVE… which by the way is far less sensitive to the type of coax câble.

@Nuforce : would you mind sharing details about such a better DIY OCXO of yours please ?

Sinewave OCXO build below.

-118dB @ 1Hz symmetricom clock (hand measured with test report)
X2 levels of AC filtering
X2 levels of DC filtering
Copper Faraday cage grounded to earth
X2 levels of internal mechanical vibration control

Wow : so nice ! Where do you find this OCXO module ? What reference please ? IS it MV200 ?

I sourced it via an AliExpress dealer. The module wasn’t cheap at over $1000 USD but -118 is very hard to find.

By comparison the LHY clocks in reality measure less than 100 @ 1hz…

Thanks. What is the module’s reference ? How did you ‘secure’ such a good measurements ? did you measure and sort several modules ?

I see…The supplier does the sorting and grading, thanks !
I Can see that you use the output directly, so no need for an extra level adjustment to use with the RS130 ?

BTW, you didn’t report your experience with the RS130 and this external clock…

I understand that @ROSEHAN suggested SineWave only but why. If I own high quality BNC cables shouldn’t the RS130 be capable of both Sine and Square Wave without issue as long as the Master clock can accommodate both. What is the technical limitation that HifiRose is only suggesting SiineWave for the RS130, that is my question.

@duffer5 it’s a good question actually ! I will borrow a LHY OCK2 soon and check both sine & square waves…

@duffer5 @ZABOKS

RS130 is capable of both Sine and Square Wave

I said it rudely above.
When connecting an external clock to RS130, both sine and square waves can be connected, but sine wave is recommended.