External Master Clock & USB output

Hey JMBARG, I agree with you to a point.However if you have good quality cables on all of your interconnects and speakers,would you agree that at some point there is a point of diminishing returns. I have no dog in the fight, I would encourage a visit to Blue Jeans Cables website.They show you in detail with all the testing and comparisons that are available to anyone.Tell me your thoughts after checking it out.

1 Like

ROSE is not divulguing it’s OCXO specs, so I just tried a well specified 10 MHz Cybershaft OP19A as external clock on my RS130… and (unfortunately for my wallet), I must admit it immediately adds depth and focus + makes the voices more natural !
Any other users feedback here ?

Fortunately for your wallet, a master clock does exactly nothing for USB output, which does not carry the clock signal.

Nice of Cybershaft to put the warning right in the name of the company – if you buy their products, you are definitely getting shafted.

Sorry Boris, but I didn’t mean the clock is affecting the USB output ! It is rather improving the inner circuitry ‘precision’ thanks to lower a jitter clock… with the said audible improvements thru USB connection.
Otherwise, what would be the point of having a OCXO already in the RS130 ? I simply assume Cybershaft clock specs are better than this internal OCXO…
You should try it by yourself before dismissing it !

1 Like

If it is not affecting the USB output (which it is not) then there is nothing at all different about what the DAC receives to produce any different sound. DAC is not a magic mind reader that feels that there is a “better” clock in the transport and decides to sound better.

There is no point, other than taking more (for less, natch!) money from people who do not know any better.

Possibly. It might even make some (inaudible, but maybe barely measurable) difference in S/PDIF or I2S output, if one really wants to use something from the last century. But it just does not make any difference for the USB connection.

Sorry, but this only works on people who slept through all the physics classes in high school. If it worked, it would have been demonstrated in at least one controlled test (but somehow manufacturers of these devices quite adamantly refuse to perform those) and designers of these things would be getting their Nobel prizes.

As it stands, it needs to be “tried for oneself” about as much as putting razor blades under a pyramid to make them sharper. Many people believe in it, but it just as much can’t work, and just as much does not do anything.

+1Absolutely correct

1 Like

Boris,

I’m not smart enough to be a physicist (I’m a physicist wannabe) but I am an electrical engineer and I agree with what you are saying 100%. Better cables are like the tinnitus I have in my ear. It’s all in the head. “Better cables” are needed only in very high frequencies as in terahertz. 20k is nothing to even to the cheapest oxygen loaded copper. On the other hand “Blue fuses”…

StandardModel

1 Like

Cables at least can have some aesthetic appeal Probably not the ones that look like an obese anaconda, but some at least look nicer than blue-light specials from K-Mart. Fuses on the other hand, if you use them as intended, aren’t even visible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Boris,

I actually like the cables that don’t kink, curl up, aren’t too stiff and have good quality connectors. Some of the HDMI connectors are a lot better than others. Ten to fifteen dollars will buy nice HDMI cables that check all the boxes…and they work!

StandardModel

Exactly.

Ironically, lots of really expensive ones are far too stiff to be useful…

@ROSEHAN Btw, Can you provide the specs for the external clock input of the RS130 please ?

@ZABOKS

Specifications for connecting an external clock to RS130 are as follows.

Master clock: 10MHz
Input rms: 1V rms