External Master Clock & USB output

product page „ External Master Clock Input The audio source requires a master clock input that outputs audio data synchronized with the master clock. Applying this method eliminates jitter in the S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and 12S Out connections from the audio source to the DAC, and supports perfect synchronization between devices based on the usage environment.“

What’s about the USB output (Fibre 3.0, Audio 2.0)? Will the USB output not improve with a external clock and stay with internal clock?

Thanx to everybody for clarifying…

1 Like

USB does not carry any clock signal, only data, which is buffered and properly timed by the DAC. As long as the DAC itself has an accurate clock, source could be using anything, even a sundial, as long as it pushes the data out fast enough. There is no jitter, and no need for synchronization.

One of the reasons why USB cis the best currently available connection.

As an aside, master clock synchronization makes sense when you are running a recording studio and need to synchronize multiple ADCs and processors, but does not really do much in playback environment.

Just a thought. I’ve found that a decent i2s cable gives better sound quality than a high end usb cable

Has anyone else had a similar experience

Lots of people who listened to Uncle Paul and switched cables themselves.

Without seeing which cable has been used, nobody ever has been able to tell any difference.

There is no such thing as a “high end” USB cable, there are cables that work (i.e. $5 one from Office Depot) and cables that do not (e.g. $800 curiosities).

Hi
By high end cable I meant an audiophile cable
I have noticed a significant difference between a normal usb and an audiophile one

I’ve also done a blind test on both and also with the I2s with a help of my friend who is a also hifi enthusiast

It may be just me but I have noticed the difference and I thought I’d like to put this out

Thanks

3 Likes

Exactly. There is no such thing as an “audiophile” USB cable. There are cables that are marketed as such, by companies pretending that USB can be directional and such, but sorry to say it is complete nonsense.

In a blind test? Not to be (too) mean,m but if you did you’d be the first one. Many people tried, but in a proper blind test there is neither measured nor perceived difference. But when someone is looking (or listening) for differences, they will hear them.

No doubt about that. It is expected when you are listening for and expecting one. But if you have no idea which cable is used in each attempt, it is very very unlikely. I think over on ASR someone has been offering good money to anyone who could distinguish these things in a proper test. Somehow nobody had ever taken him up on it…

It should also be noted that many “audiophile” USB (or Ethernet etc.) cables aren’t actually USB certified or tested to any existing Ethernet category specs, and as such do not necessarily work, or work reliably.

Hi

I understand your views and do agree with them but I’ve noticed a significant difference between a.usb cable and the Is2

The usb is somewhat harsh compared to the Is2 which is smoother

Nothing more I can say

Thanks

3 Likes

As long as it makes you happy…

Dear Friend.

As long as the pocket allows, I buy cable for “audiophiles”; on my Hifi Rose RS250A, I have Audioquest cables, the Cinnamon to connect to the hard drive, and to go to the amplifier, I have the Golden Gate.
I don’t give a shit what the rest think, and even more so if they listen via Streaming.

Be happy and use your money as your heart sees fit, except that someone pays for your pleasures… the rest, fuck them!

1 Like

And I wil say no more than: I concur with your findings and agree with jmbarg.
Happy listening!

1 Like

Friend, I want to tell you, yes, there are differences when you use “audiophile” cables.

The components and elements with the cables for “audiophiles” are made, make the data flows that are transmitted to generate the analog wave more precise; This translates to better sound quality in your ears. The differences are really substantially noticeable, because you are not going to have a flat and harsh sound, quite the opposite… you are going to have a clear, smooth, and wide sound.

Let’s understand that a cable does not make the differences; A set of elements makes the difference: Having good sound columns, having an excellent DAC, like the one Hifi Rose brings, having an excellent amplifier and of course, using “audiophile” cables in all your components.

Good and well-made things have to be paid for… second brands, improvisations and grandmother’s home remedies are all stories.

Greetings and have a great start to the year.

2 Likes

…and “audiophile cables” just happen to be one of those remedies. But if one had slept through a high school physics classes they will believe anything, including that a cable can make data flow smoother…

You better start doing some advanced physics then.

Meanwhile we’re enjoying our rigs to the fullest and you’re enjoying music, I hope, on a budget. Good for you.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, the good old “I’ve spent more on my system so I know better” argument.

Meanwhile, I actually do know advanced physics, while you know jack. I am enjoying the music (which sounds far more accurate than anything you’ve ever heard), while you’re enjoying having spent money on your rig. Hope it makes you happy, just remember that unless your music is stored on a Wadax, your cables are Valhallas, and your speakers are at least Alexia V’s, you’re just a poor schlob who might as well be listening to a clock radio.

Hey ! My GE clock radio has amazing sound stage!

1 Like

Did that hurt, or what?

Terribly. I think I’[ve pulled a rib laughing.

There are people who get off pretending to be richer than some stranger on the internet. Never works in real life somehow. Actually rich people have better things to do than proving something to internet strangers, but you will never know.

Meanwhile, I think I’ll listen to some music. You can enjoy listening to your cables and realizing that you will never be either intelligent enough to assemble a good sounding system or rich enough to afford one that would make some random audiophool in the internet feel impressed.

Hello… just confirming here and sorry for not understanding more on the topic, I just learning. Running an rs130 today to a PS Stellar Gold DAC via USB A|B. From what this thread appears to conclude, there is no chance a master clock connected to the rs130 would make any difference?

Without getting into a discussion about merits (or lack thereof) of BS Ausio products…

With a USB cable, no, it will not make any difference as the USB cable does not carry any audio-related timing data, it is all reconstructed by the DAC, using DAC’s clock (as it should be).

Master clocks are occasionally useful if you are running a studio and need to keep multiple DACs and ADCs and audio processors all in sync. At home, unless your clock source (whether in the DAC or transport) is driven by a hamster running in a wheel, it won’t make any audible difference anyway. And if something as pricey as the 130 or any PS Audio product uses a hamster wheel for a clock, and needs an external one for a few grand (bill of materials: $50 tops) to produce better sound, it really does not speak well of those products, does it?

But in short, no, connecting a master clock to the source, and then sending data in asynchronous packets to the DAC, which uses its own clock to produce sound out of them, will not make even any theoretical difference, let alone practical one.