Faint cracking noise when playing low frequency bass

Hello ROSELOA,

I followed your guidance to check on my cache. In RS150 → TIDAL → My Collection → Setting, the display showed that Enable Cache was turned off. When I pushed the OFF button to ON, the RS150 replied that " To use the cache, You Must set an external storage path where the cache can be saved. Do you want to set this path?" Since I am not using any external storage path, so I answered “cancel” to leave this dialogue box.

Separately, I did some experiment with the Audio Setting → Volume Settings for each source, below is what I found out:

For source TIDAL, I set the volume setting at 0 dB, then I played the track (Linkin Park, Shadow of the Day MQA) at play volume at 50, I header the cracking noise.

For source TIDAL, I then set the volume setting at minus 10 dB, I played the same track (Linkin Park, Shadow of the Day MQA) at play volume at 50, the cracking noise was NOT heard. However, if I pushed the play volume to something like 65 to 70, the cracking noise started to show up.

With this new information, can you think of a resolution? Thanks a lot!

Hello ROSLOA,

Let me re-type my new finding because I had a typo error:

For source TIDAL, I set the volume setting at 0 dB, then I played the track (Linkin Park, Shadow of the Day MQA) at play volume at 50, I HEARD the cracking noise.

For source TIDAL, I then set the volume setting at minus 10 dB, I played the same track (Linkin Park, Shadow of the Day MQA) at play volume 50, the cracking noise was NOT heard. However, if I pushed the play volume to something like 65 to 70, the cracking noise started to show up.

Hello Roseloa,

Referring to my findings descripted above, do you have any suggestion for my problem?

I appreciate if you may have a look into this. Thanks a lot!

Hello,

We tried your settings but couldn’t reproduce the noise.
I checked your amplifier’s manual and could find input sensitivity is ‘1.45 V RMS’.

So, would you try this?
RS150 > In/Out Settings > XLR/RCA menu > Preout level settings > 2000mV

With this setting, you cannot change the volume in RS150.
After setting this up, try using it by adjusting the volume on the amplifier.

Hello ROSELOA,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I connect the RS150 directly to the Kinki Studio EX-M7 Power Amplifier which has no pre-amplifier function because it is not an integrated amplifier so it does not have a volume controlling function, I can only use the RS150 to change the volume.

If I experiment it by setting the RS150 Pre-Out Level to 2000 mV, then is it safe for my speakers because I will have no means of turning the volume down? Can you confirm this before I carry out the experiment?

Thanks a lot for your patience to handle my problem. I hope we are getting close to a solution.

Hello,

Input sensitivity is the maximum voltage strength of an input signal that an amplifier can handle and still produce unclipped full output . (google)
I’m not sure with your speaker as I don’t know what’s your speaker, and I’m sure your amplifier will be able to handle it.
If you’re anxious, you can start from the lowest value in this setting.
(ex-RS150 > In/Out Settings > XLR/RCA menu > Preout level settings > 500mV ~~)

Hello ROSELOA,

For completion purpose, I am using ELAC Vela BS403 stand mount speakers.

I will experiment with the Pre-Out Level Settings this weekend and report the results next week.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hello ROSELOA,

I am sorry to ask one more question. Now with the input sensitivity of my power amplifier as 1.45V RMS, if I set the RS150 Pre-Out Level Setting to 2000 mV (i.e 2 V), does it mean the signal from the RS150 over-drive the power amp and may cause clipping and distorted sound? Is this the purpose of this experiment?

Hope you may clarify, thanks!

Hello,

If you set a greater value than 1.45 V RMS on RS150, your amplifier can cause clipping noise.
Since there’re so many audio devices in the world, it’s hard to say which setting is the correct answer, but usually, people set preout level setting close to amplifier’s input sensitivity.
If you still have noise with 2000mV, please try 1000mV.

Hello ROSELOA,

Thank you for the clarification. I will experiment this weekend and report to you next week of the result.

Thanks!

My setup is
RS250 → avr denon x4500h analog-in → power amp ‘nubert nupower D’

Which input sensitivity is to note?
Avr or power amp?

Currently the preout level is set on maximum 2200mV and I have no clipping, but I don’t hear on maximum volume.

The avr manual says 200mV input sensitivity, for the power amp didn’t I find this attribute. If I set the preout level 200mV all is very silent and I have to turn volume level very high.

Hello ROSELOA,

Below was what I experimented during the weekend:

(1). Music source by TIDAL: Eagles - The Long Run with MQA coding 192 kHz.

(2). Pre-Out Level Setting for Balanced Output.

200mV - Heard cracking noise
300mV - Heard cracking noise
400mV - Heard cracking noise
500mV - Heard cracking noise
1000mV - Heard cracking noise
2000mV - Heard cracking noise

It looks like the different values of Pre-Out Level did not make any difference, the problem of cracking noise ccontinues.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!

Hello,

Are you sure that you heard the noise even in 200mV?
The reason why I ask you is because 200mV is such a low volume, much lower volume than 45-50 that you did before.
(RS150 > In/Out Settings > XLR/RCA menu > Preout level settings > 500mV ~~)

After setting one of those mV, you must touch Apply on top right to apply.

Hello ROSELOA,

Thank you for your reminder. I will experiment again this week to make sure the Pre Out Level Setting is APPLIED by touching the Apply button on the top right. I will report what I hear later.

Thanks!

Hi ROSELOA,

I did the experiment during weekend, experimented with Pre Out Level Setting of different values and each time I changed the value I did press the APPLY button on the top right corner of the screen. Below are my results:

Source: TIDAL Eagles - The Long Run MQA 192 kHz, play volume = 68

Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 100 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 200 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 300 mV, NO cracking noise was heard.

Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 400 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 500 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre out Setting value (balanced) = 1000 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.
Pre Out Setting value (balanced) = 2000 mV, CRACKING NOISE WAS HEARD.

I did not try 3000 mV, 4000 mV and 5000 mV because the play volume was too loud.

As control experiment, I also did the following tests:

Source: TIDAL Ealges - The Long Run MQA 192kHz
Without Pre Out Level (i.e. OFF and APPLY), the cracking noise was heard at play volume 50.

Source: NAIM CD5XS, CD Pink Martini Sympathique, track 5 La Soledad
Without Pre Out Level (i.e. OFF and APPLY), the cracking noise was heard at the piano solo portion with play volume 48.

Also, I got additional inputs from Kinki Studio technical support, they said their XLR inputs (for EX-M7 Power Amp) are single-ended design. I am connecting RS150 to EX-M7 by a pair of XLR cables.

ROSELOA, what is your assessment with these information? I appreciate if you may suggest the next step. Thanks!

Thomas

Hello,

Do you have the same noise when you play with RCA cable?
If so, how much volume is there no noise?

Hi ROSELOA,

Good question, I am thinking this too. But I don’t have a pair of RCA cable, I need to buy a new pair and experiment with it. Let me go downtown to buy a new pair of RCA cable and try them out during this long weekend. I will report next week. Thanks a lot!

Hi ROSELOA,

I am sorry to report late of the progress here. I changed from XLR cable to RCA cables. I tested many tracks and I do NOT think the problem resolved. I still hear noise. Noise is heard particular for the following conditions:

(1). High resolution tracks.
(2). Quiet music and loud music, that is during the introduction of a song when the loudness is increasing. I think it is related to the dynamic range.
(3). Noise heard for volume set at 50.

I would like your guidance. Thanks!

Hi ROSELOA,

Please response! Thanks.

Hi ROSELOA,

I appreciate if you may response to my problem, please. Thanks!