Fiber type for RS130B

I just ordered an RS130B to stream to my Allnic D10000 DAC. I wish to use fiber from my network switch located in our utility room to the RS130.

In my second system, I used OM1 fiber cable to a Etherregen, the recommended type. I don’t wish to assume the same for the Rose.

Any recommendations?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coherent/FTLF1318P3BTL?qs=D%2B6gCNt%2Fg2C91cko4IuSEQ%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

I bought a TP-Link WiFi Mesh System with SFP+ 10GB Fibre Network. Could somebody help what I need to connect this with my RS130 directly via fiber without switch?

I assume two SFP Transmitter (one SFP+ for the TP-Link, one SFP for the RS130) and a fiber cable, but which fiber type (Single Mode, Dual Mode), connector type (LC), transmission distance (e.g. 100m).

And does it promise sound improvements compared to the included fibre RJ-45 (copper) adapter?

Thanks much for the information you good folks provided.

My Network switch has built-in 100 & 1000mb fiber ports but my switch is downstairs and it will be painful to run a cable to the future Rose location. But I slept on it.

My solution is this, buy 2 lengths of fiber. One fiber goes from local RJ45 port near to Rose utilizing 2 media convertors. The second fiber will run from network closet direct to fiber port on switch to Rose eliminating 2 CAT6 cables and their connections and 1 media convertor.

My brain tells me they’ll be no difference. But I’m often surprised in this hobby.

The RS130 only accepts SFP modules, not SFP+.
Best use single mode fiber (SMF) with LC-LC connectors. SMF with Corning fiber core for best sonic results.
Check Internet for good prices of SFP modules and fiber cable. An audiophile switch with SFP port or media convertor provides additional positive sonic results.
Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFP is mentioned for best sound quality.

There are differences to be heard, so do yourself a favor and go for the best components right away. Prices for these are relatively low, compared to the price of the streamer.

Thanks Jobbie, I have on order, a Finister SFP+. Using a corning 62.5 MM-2 I had laying around.
Now I need to return that for the SFP version already on order.

Please, let us know how things work out for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, the SFP+ worked perfectly - until it didn’t. And 2 more sets of SFP transceivers failed as well. Now I’m back to wire. The port using the supplied RJ45 transceiver works fine, but not with fiber type transceivers. I’m wondering if something didn’t break.

I’m sorry to hear! This seems strange, however. Could you list the makes and models of the sfp modules, fiber cord and media covertor?

I had to know if this is a ‘Rose’ problem or a home network problem. I brought the Rose upstairs, to our 2nd system where I’m using a computer server and fiber to a 10Gtek fiber switch (fiber to wire) which works perfectly. I connected the Rose to that fiber and bingo - connectivity.

I suspect the fiber ports on the Network switch could be giving me this headache.

My SFP+ is an OSFPTEK QT-SFP+LR CO
Fiber upstairs is the Corning 62.5/125 MM2

If you use SFP+ in that port the signal can be over amplified and indeed cause damage. I believe that is why Hifi Rose only recommended SFP, at the least if you use SFP+ you would have to use a modulator to downgrade the signal to avoid over modulation.

1 Like

I hope you get things to work in the first place.
Do consider that you may want to use selected components for best sonic result for your precious streamer.
Good luck on your journey!

I wrote technical support on this question. What I learned was that the Rose fiber port is backwards compatible to both the SFP and SFP+. No mention of burning up the port.

I’ll stay with what is working perfectly :ok_hand:

1 Like

Odd as this is the direct opposite of what I was sent via email. Hifi Rose support stated only to use SFP and not SFP+. But I suspect the response you received maybe more accurate as the Specs for the RSA720 list the SFP module as SFP+ and typically the SFP scheme is the same throughout the entire hardware of a streamer.

Ich verwende ein ADOT Singlemode-Upgrade-Kit (2x Transceiver, 1,5m Singlemode-Glasfaser) zwischen meinem Melco S100 und dem RS130. Multimode durch ein spezifischeres und klanglich besseres Glasfaserkabelset OS (2 x SFP Singlemode, Lichtwellenleiter OS) ersetzt.

https://3-h.de/blog/singlemode-upgrade-fuer-adot/

Die Technologie ist bei Singlemode jedoch in viel engere Toleranzen und somit bessere Qualitätsstufen unterteilt, welche zu einem Gewinn an Perfomance (Netzwerk und Klang) beitragen. Hier ist die Glas-faserseele deutlich dünner (nur 9 Mikrometer) und besitzt nur einen einzigen Lichtmodus, wodurch es zu weniger Interferenzen kommt. Das Kabel kann somit auch für deutlich längere Übertragungswege ein- gesetzt werden. Die Signalabschwächung tritt signifikant später ein: bei Singlemode Glasfaser kann eine Bandbreite von bis zu 100 Gigabit pro Sekunde ca. 200 Kilometer lang übertragen werden. Die bessere Lichtübertragung am Ende des Kabels zum SFP ist hierbei maßgeblich.