HDD/SSD handling

Hi, I’m struggling if I buy a RS150B.
(little unsure if the price tag is worth the added value…)

To make the decision more easy to me, I would like to know how the internal harddrive is practical to use.

The question is more or less simple:
a) is it possible to transfer files/tracks from an external HDD through the USB ports of the Rose to the internal SSD?
b) in case not: is the format of the SSD after assembly mandatory or can I format it on a PC, copy all files in Folders and insert it into the Rose to just scan the library?

Background is that I’ve ripped all my CD collection already and saved it on an external SSD. As we are talking about roundabout 300GB of FLAC and another 500GB of video files, a transfer with SMB over ethernet sucks…

Plan is to use the RS150 with two Audiolab monos, internal 2TB SSD, maybe an external HDD for Videos on top and in combination with Tidal.

Interesting is therefore the handling of the internal drive as described above and the total setup in combination with the Rose software. I assume that the internal drive, external drive and Tidal are merged within the interface and in best case it is possible to create Playlist containing tracks from all sources mixed up?

By the way: Very strange and disappointing, that a streamer with a preamp in this price level offers no trigger for external power amplifier…

Hello,

1. Is it possible to transfer files/tracks from an external HDD through the USB ports of the Rose to the internal SSD?
→ Unfortunately, this is currently not possible.

2. In case not: is the format of the SSD after assembly mandatory or can I format it on a PC, copy all files in Folders and insert it into the Rose to just scan the library?
→ After formatting the SSD on the PC, connect the SSD with the files to RS150B.
However, in this case, it is difficult to take out the SSD whenever you want to add or delete files. For such a case, it is designed to be able to transfer files by connecting to a PC via SMBv1. Also, you can delete/edit/add files of storage devices connected to ROSE on the PC screen.
However, the file transfer speed through SMBv1 is not very fast. Therefore, if you plan to put a lot of files, first connect the SSD to the PC, format it such as exFAT, and then download the files. After that, it is recommended to connect the SSD to the RS150B.

3. Interesting is therefore the handling of the internal drive as described above and the total setup in combination with the Rose software. I assume that the internal drive, external drive and Tidal are merged within the interface and in best case it is possible to create Playlist containing tracks from all sources mixed up?
→ TIDAL, Qobuz, Rosetube, and the songs you have stored on the storage device can be put in a queue or playlist.

streamer with a preamp in this price level offers no trigger for external power amplifier…
→ RS150B can be a source device and a DAC, but it does not have a built-in amplifier.

Thank you,

Hi,
Regarding the point 2, is it possible via LAN cable to transfer huge files from PC to RS150’s internal SSD?
Thanks.

Read carefully… I was talking about the preamplifier function of the RS150 and the missing 12V trigger to activate external poweramps.

Perfect. Means I can do the initial file transfer by PC as the SSD requires no mandatory format inside of the RS150 to become alive. For the normal daily use I can life with the missing option of file transfers by the USB ports. This will not be hundreds of gigs in one strike…

Hi, even if you connect a LAN cable to RS150B, file transfer is possible if it is in the same network as your PC. However, since it is transmitted through SMB, there is a limit to the speed.

Hi, will there be a cross LAN cable connecting in between works better?
Thanks.

So I purchased a 4tb SSD and formatted it on my laptop. I added all my music files. I installed the SSD in the RS150b. I cannot find the files anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

@Shoupaloop

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please check a few things.

1. Did you format the SSD?
  2. If you click Settings–>System Settings–>Media Library, you will see storage.
    Check if the SSD is recognized by Storage, and if so, initialize the db or scan the library.

Thank you

Yes, the drive is formatted. I tried having my laptop format it first, but no go. I did have success having the RS150b format the SSD to the point that it shows up. I now need to transfer my entire library from the laptop to the RS150b. I tried to use the drive externally, but the laptop did not recognize it. I set the SMB to active, but the IP address assigned to my RS150b doesn’t work or bring anything up when I type it in the address bar. I entered my user ID and password that I signed up with the Rose Connect app when prompted by the device when activating SMB. What am I doing wrong?

@Shoupaloop

You seem to be getting the method wrong.

When you connect RS150b to your computer wirelessly, you do not need to enter your ID and password to log in to the RoseConnect app. When activating SMB in RS150b, ID and password must be entered.
I will forward a video related to the problem in the link below.

Thank you

I was able to get it. I was typing the IP address in Chrome. It didn’t specify to open it in file explorer. All good now. Thanks!