Help on Connecting Roon Nucleus to RS150B

Hi,

I have a Roon Nucleus and I would like connect it to my RS150B via USB.
The Roon device has two USB 3.0 ports.

Should I use a USB 3.0 A-to-A cable to connect the Roon unit to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the Rose ?

or

Should I use a USB 2.0 A-to-B cable to connect the Roon unit to the USB AUDIO IN port on the Rose ?

Please help. Thank you very much.

Tom

Hello,

If you want to use RS150B as a DAC, use USB cable A-to-B. Roon unit(A) to USB AUDIO IN(B) port of Rose.

Noted. Thanks
So USB A (Roon) to USB A (ROSE) won’t work. Am I correct ?
Best

You are right.
USB A port for RS150B is to send out digital signal to external DAC or using USB storage.

Got it.
Thanks for the quick reply
Tom

Hi, @TomT

Curious if you ever connected your Nucleus to RS150 via USB 2 and how it worked.

-better sound quality?
-better Roon experience?
-does track info display on RS150 screen like normal?
-any cons?

Thanks.

John

Hi John,
No, I didn’t try connecting the Nucleus to RS150 directly.
My Roon is connected to the Rose via a switch (with optical separation). The sound is quite nice and has no issue displaying cover on the RS150 screen.
May give a it try in the future.
Did you try it to the USB dac or the USB port on the RS150 ?
Tom

I connected via the USB 2 input on the rose but got what sounded like digital clipping. No cover art or track info was displayed on the rose screen either. I ordered a new cable but that didn’t fix it.

When you say you’re connected by switch, are you saying you have a network switch in front of both the Nucleus and the Rose and they’re both connected to it?

The only advantage in using USB in is, that you can use DSD512 native.
But I don’t believe, that Rock will support native DSD for the RS150B.

Clipping: You can let Roon show, if it’s really a clipping

and set then the headroom.

Yes. Both are connected via the network switch.
If I remember correctly, there’s no cover art shown on the Rs150 when I connected my Aurender to the USB IN (for dac).
Tom

Got it. Thanks. You mind sharing the make/model of your switch?

Sorry can’t. The switch is a local DIY made.
Tom

TOM T.
I noticed in your message that you used ( Optical Separation) . I have a Nucleus Rev B. and an RS-250 that I use as a DAC and Streamer. I watched a LittleGreen-Computer Video last night. They have Gigabit Fiber Ethernet converters- that have Ethernet- In and connect to each other via a Single-Mode Dual SC-SC Fiber cable, then back to ethernet which goes into the ROSE box. Is this what you have ? Was the clean single noticeable ? Thank you for your anticipated reply. Mike Siegel - New Jersey

Hi Sieges,
Not quite sure about the technology.
The switch I am using is an integrated one. Network signals from wall via copper cable (CAT8) go to the switch. Then internally, it has a special optical converter module that converts the normal signal to optical signal and then back to normal signal again. So that electrical noise is cleaned before going to the shared ports on the switch. Also the switch has clock upgrade etc.
Something like that.
Pretty easy to use. Signal thru normal LAN cable to the switch, then the unit carry out optical conversion, clock signal upgraded, etc inside the box, Then use normal LAN cables from output ports of the switch to equipments needing LAN connection. That’s all.
It’s just like using a regular switch.