How can ripped CD files be permanently deleted?

Hi, I have bought a RS 150 this week and I am delighted with the sound quality output.

At the same time, unfortunately, I am experiencing a number of operating issues:

• unlike yesterday, suddenly today any CD inserted and to be ripped is not recognised and every single CD shows up as ‘UNKNOWN’ - yesterday everything was working pefectly so I am very confused on why today it just isn’t working. The unit is connected online OK and even showing connected to the Rose server too…let’s hope it will go back to normal tomorrow.

• I asked the Hi-fi retailer where I bought the Rose to install an internal 1TB HD and the vendor had ripped a few CDs to test the unit. Unfortunately, I am not able to permanently delete these CD rips from the Hard Drive.

• This is what I do:

Settings > System Settings > Media Library > /storage/RoseDisk/Lost.Dir - in this last folder (Lost.Dir) is where all the CDs that have been ripped are shown (NB: this list is shown in chronological order (date when they were ripped) rather than in alphabetical order…)

• I select a ripped CD I want to delete

• I touch the 3 bullet menu by side of the selected CD

• a window appears with name of the file/CD and two options are shown:
    option a) RESCAN DB
    option b) DELETE DB

• I select DELETE DB and delete the file

and yet…when later accessing:

• Music > Folder > RoseDisk > Lost.Dir (here - remarkably - all the CDs files are now shown in alphabetical order)

• I see that the files that I thought I had deleted are still all there and - moreover - I can still play these (…!!!..) - so - clearly - these do not get permanently deleted as they should be.

How can ripped CDs can actually be permanently deleted from the Hard Drive?

Please help.

Hi @alessandro, I tried the same with the 1 CD I ripped so far (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) and I noticed the following:

Hi @Dopo - I wonder why your Frankie Goes to Hollywood CD you’ve ripped doesn’t show

I can also see that as a destination path to the CD ripping you have chosen directly:

Rosedisk

Whereas my set up (done at the hifi shop) where I have managed to rip a few CDs in so far has been:

Rosedisk > Lost.Dir

I don’t know if this makes a difference but let’s see what the kind people from Rose say and if they can help.

Another thing that I have noticed with regard to the problem of not being able to delete CD rips permanently from the internal hard drive is discrepancy between what is shown in the Music Folder

and what is shown in the folder immediately underneath the Music Folder icon, where all the CDs are visible - including those I manually deleted from the music library (in this example: Akon, Allan Taylor, Andrea Bocelli) - but these are still there and if I click on them I can even still listen to the .flac files meaning that I haven’t managed to permanently delete what is on the hard drive.

Hi @alessandro ,

LOST.DIR is an Android system folder, used for collecting bits and pieces of files that went corrupt during unexpected events e.g. like when starting up. It’s a kind of garbage can for Android’s use. If you would not have an SDD installed, you will not have this folder.

Here is a more details description I found on the Internet (so I cannot guarantee it’s completely correct, but when they mention SD card you can replace it with any form of external storage, like our SDD):

" LOST.DIR is an Android folder specially created to collect files that are accidentally lost when the Android system fails due to accidents in running.

The accidents include the following situations:

- The applications suddenly fail to run properly.
- Android operating system is frozen suddenly.
- The SD card is abruptly and improperly ejected from Android phone.
- The device is ejected while some files are in read-write process.
- Accidental interruptions occur while downloading files to Android device.
- Data write back failure in SD card.

In a word, as long as accidents happen, the Android system will recover files during next system boot up and place these files into Android LOST.DIR directory. At the same time, the filename extension of files will be replaced by the numeric sequence name. So, you can’t recognize these files."

So my advise is: do not use LOST.DIR under any circumstances, as you may interfere with Android’s hard disk management.

@ROSELOA 2 questions:

1. Would it not be better to make this directory hidden by default?
  2. It is unclear for me how its content be purged? Manually? Automatically after x time? If this is not foreseen, it will only grow and occupies more disk space.

Hi @alessandro ,

About your second remark, in my case the 3th folder named ‘Music Folder’ is empty.

Only the 4th folder (showing the SDD content) contains the ‘Frankie Goes To Hollywood’ folder (+ tracks inside) despite having it deleted yesterday as test.

Also my LOST.DIR is empty.

I have enabled the TidalCache but this folder is still empty for the moment. I will continue testing this feature to see if I see cached content appearing in it.

Thank you @Dopo - that’s very helpful and very kind of you to look up for me. Therefore, it was wrong to set LOST.DIR as a final destination path (!).

In the future - when I will be able to continue ripping CDs (at present all CDs inserted have stopped been recognised by the Metadata and - unfortunately - they all currently display as ‘unknown’…) - I will set the CD ripping path straight to ROSEDISK.

The issue about how to delete - permanently - all files remains and this is happening also to you as the Frankie Goes to Hollywood folder that you deleted as a test is still visible in the 4th folder and - therefore - still present on your hard drive. Similar situation to mine. Let’s hope @ROSELOA can help.

At the moment, I am focusing on enjoying the Rose RS150 as a music server and my first step is to upload and organise my pretty large collection of CDs. I am not ready for streaming (Tidal, etc.) yet. That will come, but moving all my CDs away from all my living room shelves and into the Rose is my priority, although - because of these problems - I cannot continue doing it.

Hello @alessandro and @Dopo ,

Thank you a lot for the discussion.
First of all, ‘DELETE DB’ is not deleting files, it deletes Scanned data.

Currently, file management is not possible through Rose.
However, we are preparing to develop a way to manage files in Rose. Not right now, but soon it will be possible to add directories, delete files, and copy files. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, about LOST.DIR, I will check with the development team.

Thank you.

Thank you @ROSELOA - that’s clear now.

Let’s hope we will be able to delete files at some stage soon.

Would you have any clue of why - suddenly - my Rose doesn’t read/recognise any inserted CD anymore?

Any CD I insert - including some I managed to successfully rip on the 1st day - show up as ‘UNKNOWN’.

The unit is connected OK via Ethernet - it is connected to the Rose server and other functions (RoseTube, Radio, etc.) work OK - I have restarted/rebooted my modem a number of times but since yesterday it has stopped reading/recognising CDs.

Is there a problem that you know of or do you have any tips/suggestions for me?

thank you.

Hi @alessandro ,

I understand your CD project, look what I have beneath the RS150 waiting for me:

A 400 CD exchanger, indeed! :slight_smile: It’s not completely filled, but still contains about 300 full CDs. The sound quality is excellent as well, also via RCA-connection, wondering what DAC it uses?

Hey @Dopo - wow that looks impressive… I have never seen a Sony unit like this one before - so do you plan to load all the CDs you have onto the Rose and get rid of the Sony or you will keep the Sony alongside the Rose?

I can see from your pic that you’ve managed to rip another CD onto the Rose…which is good news for you (as I mentioned, my Rose has suddenly and mysteriously stopped reading the CD info/metadata since yesterday…).

All I can tell you is that once you’re successful in ripping a CD onto the Rose (like you, I have a Hard Disk installed inside the unit and I have chosen 1TB size), the reproduction sound quality of a ripped file from the Rose is amazing.

As good sound quality I get from vinyl and miles ahead of the sound output I was used with my CD player.

I am sure that this is down to the superior quality of the DAC inside the Rose RS 150.

Superb quality sound.

Let’s hope all these interface/software/operating issues will be resolved soon.

I want to get rid of all of these (and I have many other ‘towers’ of CDs in other parts of my home) and load them all onto the Rose so that I can manage all my music from one point. Right now, that’s the plan…! :slight_smile:

Hi @alessandro ,

Are you sure all those CDs will fit on 1 TB? I went for the 4 TB SSD instead, the maximum possible. But then you can also add network drives though I expect a slower response when browsing them compared with a directly accessible SSD.

About my CDs I am not sure yet what to do. I think I need first a good music manager and will soon try out Roon for that purpose and install Rose Connect on my iPad to compare both. Only then I consider it useful to start ripping my CDs.

About metadata, I did not rip another CD other than the FGTH CD. I remember at first there was no metadata but after like 30 seconds it was there.

@ROSELOA is the metadata retrieved from 1 source or a several sources? And will we receive a message if a metadata resource is not available?

Hi @Dopo - it’s very interesting what you say…

I was told that 1TB should accomodate about 2,000 discs and that’s - more or less - matching the numbers in my collection.

As I started briefly ripping CDs before my Rose suddenly stopped recognizing CD metadata, and seeing the actual data storage numbers showing, I also thought that 1TB would not be sufficient. We will see.

Having said that, as a test, I uploaded some .flac files I had elsewhere on a portable/external Hard Drive, plugged it in in one of the USB slots on the back of the Rose and I can reassure you that there is no slow response or delay compared to the music files on the internal SSD. I put different files from both SSD and external HD on a playlist and they all played OK, in sequence and with no delay.

When it comes to music management, I am ‘old school’ and would 100% prefer a music management interface which I could operate from my Mac. Something as simple and as easy to use as iTunes. I was told by Rose that this is not a priority for them to develop at the moment, so I will have to wait for that. Bad luck for people of my age that grew up with desktops and laptops as opposed to the current/dominating mobile platforms. It’s a shame as I really am uncomfortable with this, but I trust that - at some stage - they will offer desktop/laptop interface too to customers that have put faith in the brand.

I cannot believe I am the only person feeling that a fully functioning desktop/laptop version of the Rose Connect should be part of such a ‘premium’ piece of hifi.

Anyway, until then, I will use the Rose manually directly from the control panel.

The Rose Connect Premium app is very difficult to control/operate from my phone (I have an old Apple SE…as mentioned before I am ‘old school’) and everything looks squashed and tricky to operate - menus look and feel incomplete - and - reading all the other contributions on this forum - I can see that there are many issues that need to be fixed with the app as well.

I will also borrow this week an iPad from a friend and test the Rose app that way and see if - in the end - I will have to spend another £300 to get an iPad that will allow me to manage the music that way. Bit expensive ‘remote control’ for just working a unit such as the Rose and not ideal, but this is the situation currently.

I looked at Roon, but my needs are so basic (organise music by artist/album/songs and ability to seamlessly create and edit playlists…that’s all…!) that getting Roon doesn’t justify the subscription price I’d have to pay for it. Besides, I believe Roon really makes sense when you have a big house with lots of different areas you wanna play music in and that’s definitively not the case for me and my flat in London!

Hello @alessandro ,

There seems to be a problem with ripping CD.
I will check and let you know again.
I apologize for any inconvenience. I will check it as soon as possible.

Hello, would you try ripping cd again?

Thank you @ROSELOA - the Rose has now - magically - started ripping CDs OK and recognising all metadata.

Is this a sort of problem that is likely to happen again?

It stopped working on Tuesday morning and it’s back on today.

thanks

@Dopo I am going along with your advice and have ordered a 4TB SSD - as I currently cannot delete files from the current 1TB and as I have seen how much disk space the Rose needs when ripping CDs to .flac, I think it’s sensible to put in the maximum storage drive and start all the ripping from scratch. I am also thinking about at the hundreds of CDs I have to upload/rip and - like you mentioned - I feel that 1TB won’t be enough.

1 Like

In the mean time I think it is useful to handle the file management for your Rose Disk via tablet or smartphone.

The Files app from iphone is capable to connect to smb shares so you can delete the not needed music this way.

When I saw it right in the settings, you also have the chance to use your Rose as a FTP server so you only need a ftp client for your desired device (smartphone, tablet)… so you can delete files too. If you re using an android device, you can use one of the thousands of available file managers from play store… x-plore file manager or something else…

I would prefer the first way… its more universal… Sometimes tag information is wrong or are typing errors are shown, cover art is missing etc. you easily can edit the related files from outside the rose player, rescan the library and you are done.