How to bypass DAC in RS150 to use external DAC

Could someone please assist me? I’ve been using the HIFI Rose RS150 streamer/DAC for a while, but I’m getting a Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC. I want to use the RS150 as the streamer and go into the Baltic 4 DAC. How do I bypass the RS150 DAC? What output should I use?

Also, when I bypass the RS150 DAC, can I still use the volume control in the ROSE app?

Thank you in advance!

If you use a Digital output you will bypass the internal DAC of the ROSE. You will also bypass the preamp section, so you will not be able to control the volume.

in addition to what @thehammer stated you can select any digital output you like. I would recommended i2s if your DAC can accept profile a or b from the Hifi Rose (most likely it WON’T be compatible because Hifi Rose’s implementation of i2s is the worst I have ever seen by only offering 2 i2s profiles (PS Audio (Profile A) and Jvas (Profile B) and the never used DVI to HDMI requirement)

With that being said if you can’t connect directly from i2s to i2s then get a good digital to digital convertor (for example the Holo Red) and connect to the DDC via the USB input (USB out on the Hifi Rose to the USB in on the DDC) then from the DDC i2s to the i2s of your DAC and select the matching i2s profile (the red offers many profiles for i2s compatibility)

IF the above is not possible then simply connect from the USB output of the Hifi Rose to the USB input of the DAC and control the volume with your DAC. If you DAC does not have volume control you will need to use a preamp to control volume.

RME ADI-FS2 DAC and Hi-Fi Rose RS250

1 Like