Improvement request for the Rose Radio-App

@ROSEHAN

Would it be possible to display a background image in the Rose Radio-App, analogous to the Music-App or Qobuz-App?
I have saved many of my own radio stations that also include a high resolution logo/cover art, so generating a background image shouldn’t be an issue resolution wise.
The app would make a high quality impression if it didn’t just have a gray background.

I would be very happy about a positive feedback.

Best regards
Philipp

3 Likes

I think this is a great idea. It leverages one of the great advantages of HiFi Rose streamers, that of video display associated with audio content.
What would really be great is if HiFi Rose would link the artist’s album art to the song playing on the radio.

StandardModel

1 Like

I also asked for that option a while ago, but it was not possible, according to some HifiRose bloke.
If you play f.i. music from the internet, you have to push on the shazam-icon each time to see a corresponding picture and I suggested to do that automatically! :confused:

Yes you did. Now I remember where I saw the idea.
Old age is gaining on me.
It’s still a good idea!

Hello @ROSEHAN
I assume that you have overlooked my request given the many posts here in the forum.

A feedback is still pending…

@Philsisch
I’m sorry for late reply.

As answered in another post you need to press the “Music search” button. With the current technology, it is not possible to automatically display album covers of radio channels that do not support information values.

Thank you

If this can’t be done, how did these people do it?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121058.0.html

HOW “METADATA FROM THE INTERNET” WORKS

We love the elegant and clean Now Playing screen of HiFiBerryOS.

One big block here is the album cover display. However, not all music sources provide a cover for the song that’s playing. If you’re listening to a web radio stream, it might send the current song (not all radio stations do), but there will be no cover art. Also with some of your own music files that you stream from your Roon or Logitech Media Server might miss covers.

At this point “metadata from the internet” kicks in. It first tries to identify the current song and album. Then it uses MusicBrainz to get more information to this song and album including a unique ID for song, artist and album (called MBID in MusicBrainz terms). Based on this ID, it uses other services like Last.FM, Cover Art Archive and Fanart.TV to find a cover for this song.

The process might take a few seconds and finally you will get covers not just for your songs for almost any song you’re playing:

Does it always work perfectly? No! Sometimes, guessing the right album can be just wrong and you will see another cover. However, we think this iosn’t a huge problem as it usually works quite well. If you don’t like it, you can easily turn it off under “General / User interface”.

There are more data that are retrieve during this process like release date, artist bio and many more. Right now, these are not displayed in the user interface, but you can access them using the audiocontrol API.

My last Streamer was a Cambridge CXN-V2 and I believe it was able to display album covers and artist information for the song playing on a streaming radio station.

StandardModel