Information about Apple Music service

Hi HifiRose, I’m Apple Music user and looking for a good steamer that can be compatible and work with Apple hi-res lossless audio. So, does it mean that Apple Music is integrated into your product? I can now stream Apple Music wirelessly to any of rose product like Tidal / Spotify connect?

Hello @ccthered

1. Our Hi-Fi Rose products include in-app music streaming apps such as Apple music, Tidal, Qobuz, and Rosetube (Youtube). You can use it by entering your login account into the music streaming app you want to use.
  2. Like Tidal Connect, Hi-Fi Rose also supports the RoseConnect app. You can use it after setting the same IP address with the Rose device you are using and your mobile phone or computer.
  3. When using a Hi-Fi Rose device, it cannot be used wirelessly. You must use a LAN cable or Wi-Fi connection.

Thank you

Hi Rose, thanks for your response. I have few more questions.

1 - So when streaming Apple Music, i can use in-app music streaming. Can I stream from my iOS devices directly to rose product?
2 - can it stream hi-res lossless 24bit/192khz? Or what is the highest audio quality it can achieve?

Thanks in advance

If I remember correctly 256bps AAC is the only format available for Apple Music on Rose now.

@ccthered

Let me answer to your questions.

1. Yes, Apple Music is in-app on your Rose device, so you can connect it to Rose and operate it after downloading the RoseConnectPremium app on your mobile phone.

2. In-app Apple Music does not support lossless streaming.

• Currently, the audio source of Apple Music Official SDK (Apple Music Kit) only supports AAC.
    • In the Apple Music app, lossless music is also supported for clients implemented based on the Official SDK/API.
    • This part can be supported by updating the API and SDK in Apple Music.
    • Hi-Fi Rose is making various attempts/accessions/contacts to support Apple Music lossless sound sources.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi Rose, am considering Rose streamer as DAC to connect to my amp and from my amp to speakers. Which streamer would you recommend? RS250?

The RS250 is a good starter. If you want higher sound quality, RS150B is recommended.

Hi Rose, other than RS250, I also noticed RS201e, which one would you recommend?

As you have your own amplifier, I would recommend RS250 or RS150B.
RS201E is all-in-one model. (Streamer + DAC + Amplifier)

Hi Rise, Make sense. Which port should I use to connect to my amp for best audio quality? Thanks for your advice

Most likely the analog audio out so that the digital to analog conversion is done in the rs150b or rs250.

Integrated amps generally have lower quality DACs.

1 Like

My plan is to use RS250 as DAC, hence I want to make sure the connection is correct. Is this analog RCA cable?

Hello,

If you want to use DAC in RS250 and connect with your amplifier, use RCA cable.
ANALOG OUT in the photo you’ve uploaded.
(I guess your amplifier has input port for RCA)

Hi Roseloa, thanks for your sharing. Last question for my own understanding. What do you think of BluSound Node vs RS250?

I added songs that are not available in apple music and encoded them in several formats in apple music and add in the cloud.
Streaming on imac.
Streaming on android 13.
No streaming on RS 201E.
Apple cloud file playback not working.

Streaming format:

• ALAC 16 bit 44,100 kHz 961 kbit/s
  • WAV encoded with music in AAC 256 kbit/s iTunes Plus.
  • FLAC encoded with XLD in AAC 128 kbit/s - 192 kbit/s - 256 kbit/s - 320 kbit/s.
    Everything transferred to the cloud is converted and played at 256 kbit/s.

@manudream

I have a few questions to solve the problem.

1. Are you saying that the encoded sound file can be played on mac and Android 13, but not on RS201E?

2. When playing a sound source on RS201E, where was the sound source stored and played?

Thank you

My comments:

The files are encoded on a Macbook Big Sur with the Music application and XLD.

The files are played on the macbook with Music and on a Xiaomi Mi 9T android 13 with the Apple Music application.

The files are not local, they are synchronized with the cloud and then I delete them locally to read them in streaming from the apple servers.

They are read by the macbook and the Xiaomi with the apple application but not with my RS201E.

Apple files are read but not my personal files synchronized on the apple server.

This is a test to see if the apple integration is complete. :wink:

I use my superb RS201E with roon or local samba.

Thanks

I see that the last response from Rose is from November 2022. Has there been any updates regarding Rose fully supports Hi-Res Apple Music? I’ve recently tried the Eversolo DMP A6 and it is capable of streaming hi-res Apple music. If Eversolo successfully implemented this, I truly hope Rose has also done the same or better. My Rose is on its way and I hope I don’t have to return it.

@Randy

Only Apple hardware or software developed by Apple products and apps support lossless music.
Since the app (software) on the Android phone was also developed by Apple, it supports lossless sound sources.

So, until now, Apple hardware or software supports only up to aac256 bps unless it is a product or app developed by Apple.

For hi-fi audio equipment, I think Apple Music will gradually expand technology disclosure.
If Apple releases this part in the future, we will be able to apply it.

Additionally, we will explain the differences in how to play Apple Music lossless music on other products.

Hi-Fi Rose does not use the Android Audio Framework to provide HIFI Audio services but is designed to deliver pure audio data to the DAC without loss by using the self-developed Rose Audio Server.

Since we use the Android OS, there are many people who misunderstand that the Audio System also uses the Android Audio System, so I would like to explain the current audio playback structure of Hi-Fi Rose in more detail.

Basically, we use Android to provide a smooth touch screen-based user interface. Additionally, all processes related to HDMI output and graphics on the LCD are performed through the Android Framework. Android’s graphics system is very well tuned compared to other OSs, so the CPU calculations and power consumption required to provide a similar interface are relatively small. This has the advantage of minimizing interference in audio-related processing despite providing a rich graphical interface.

In addition, video playback, system settings, etc. are also used by taking advantage of Android.
The audio system does not use the Android Framework. To provide HIFI Audio service, all steps from I/O to sending audio data to DAC were implemented using the Rose Audio Server we developed ourselves.

Figure 1 is the traditional Android audio structure. A mixer is implemented on the Android Framework to support various audio channels (calls, notification sounds, multimedia, alarm etc.), and all audio is played through this mixer. Because of this, transcoding inevitably occurs in the audio data, and even when playing lossless sound sources, they are played at a specific Bit/Sampling Rate.

However, Hi-Fi Rose products do not use the Android Framework for audio playback, as shown in Figure 2.

When playing audio, only the path is passed to the Rose Audio Server, and the Rose Audio Server directly reads the audio source (file/stream, etc.), converts it into pure audio data (PCM/DSD), and uses the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) API. to pass audio data to the DAC on the Linux Kernel. Rose Audio Server is a framework for HiFi Audio developed directly by Hi-Fi Rose to deliver audio data as it is to the DAC without modification, support MQA Decoding, or perform DSP functions such as EQ (RS201), MQA Decoding, Resampling, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response with details. I hope soon Rose will be able to implement Apple music the best possible.