Information about Apple Music service

Many Hi-Fi Rose users have requested to support Apple Music. Apple also released an SDK to support Apple Music in 2021, so we decided that supporting Apple Music is possible and decided to add it.
However, while preparing for Apple Music, we ran into several difficulties, and we’ve noticed why there were no other products (except Apple devices) that can support Apple Music.
The biggest challenge was Apple’s conservative development policy.
Rather than the REST API used by most of other streaming companies, but Apple Music is a structure that uses abstracted functions using pre-built SDK, so when an error occurs, the process cannot be tracked or debugged.
The contents exchanged between SDK and server are encoded to SSL, and the stream has been transmitted with DRM applied and then delivered directly to the audio device. It was difficult to understand the process from playback request to playback.
In the end, we were able to implement the Apple Music service of today’s level by testing all the features of the SDK and making logical assumptions about some behavior.
However, there are still some problems that has not been resolved.

1. Problem that lossless sound source cannot be supported

The reason we decided to support Apple Music in the first place was to make it possible to listen to the high-resolution lossless sound sources of Apple Music from Hi-Fi Rose device.
However, the currently released SDK does not support lossless sound sources.
To be honest, we don’t know exactly what level of sound quality can be used. Inferring from codec-related to logs and network transmission, it seems that the service is provided with a sound quality of 256kbps AAC.
Although AAC is a lossless codec, if the sound source is at AAC 256kbps, it is known that theoretically it can provide sound quality higher than the CD level, and Apple’s encoding technology is particularly well evaluated.
In fact, if you listen to Apple Music through the Hi-Fi Rose device, you can feel the satisfactory sound quality.
We’re constantly asking for lossless support from Apple’s Developer Site and feedback. We are waiting for Apple’s future updates.
When the lossless SDK is released, we will apply it as soon as possible

2. Login errors

As you may know, Apple has a strict policy regarding user authentication.
The process of maintaining a normal login status on the device is complicated, and the renewal cycle is too short, causing various authentication errors.
In the case of an iPhone, the process of checking the device’s login information is valid does not always work because the information on the Apple account on the phone is immediately reflected and you can use Apple Music without a separate Apple Music login process.
In the case of an iPhone, the process of checking whether the device’s login information is valid does not always work because the information from the iPhone’s Apple account is reflected and you can use Apple Music without a separate Apple Music login process.
In some cases, you may need to log in again for it to work.
For this reason, Apple Music does not support login from Hi-Fi Rose device, and only login using RoseConnect premium app is available.
Also, due to an error in the Apple SDK, if the number of characters in the ID assigned to the device is less than a certain length, playback may not be possible.
In this case, you must initialize the device to get the ID again, but there is a problem in normal operation.
The error has already been reported on the Apple’s Developer Site 8 months ago, but there was no answer or solution yet.

3. DRM errors

DRM error occurs in certain contents during playback.
In this case, playback stops and no further progress is made. This is especially likely on tracks longer than 10 minutes, and other solution (website) that uses the Apple Music SDK has the same problem.
There are times when the track returns to normal after a certain period of time, and there are cases where the problem continues for a long time, but for now, the only way is to expose a guide message to the user and play the next song.

4. Problem that Apple Music video cannot be supported

If you search for album/track, you can get the Apple Music video list, but there is no way to get the playback URL.
Inevitably, Apple Music’s video is not supported yet.

5. Lack of user convenience (sort order, playlist editing, etc.)

Apple Music SDK doesn’t support options related to some details.
Although most APIs have been checked, there are no functions for changing sort order and editing playlists.
We are continuously making requests to the Apple’s Developer Site for these contents, and we are working hard to make them available for support.

Due to the above restrictions, there are inconveniences to use, and we thought a lot about whether to add it as an in-app to the Hi-Fi Rose device in a situation where completeness was poor.
However, once it is disclosed to users, the basic services of Apple Music can be used, and after receiving feedback from users, it was decided that it would be good to improve areas that could be improved.

There may be users who do not agree with incomplete functions, but we decided to apply and improve it because we believe that we cannot accurately grasp what is lacking and that it cannot be improved if we do not disclose it.
For this reason, as the first network player to support Apple Music, it does not seem to be happy or comfortable.
However, we promise that we will do our best to become the best Hi-Fi Rose, and we hope for your understanding.

Thank you

11 Likes

Thanks for bringing Apple Music to your streamers!

Now at least Hifi Rose streamers can stream music in countries where Tidal or Qobuz are unavailable.

2 Likes

Tremendous effort guys!

I appreciate what you have released here & look forward to seeing what else you do when Apple start to make developers life easier.

1 Like

Hi HifiRose, I’m Apple Music user and looking for a good steamer that can be compatible and work with Apple hi-res lossless audio. So, does it mean that Apple Music is integrated into your product? I can now stream Apple Music wirelessly to any of rose product like Tidal / Spotify connect?

Hello @ccthered

1. Our Hi-Fi Rose products include in-app music streaming apps such as Apple music, Tidal, Qobuz, and Rosetube (Youtube). You can use it by entering your login account into the music streaming app you want to use.
  2. Like Tidal Connect, Hi-Fi Rose also supports the RoseConnect app. You can use it after setting the same IP address with the Rose device you are using and your mobile phone or computer.
  3. When using a Hi-Fi Rose device, it cannot be used wirelessly. You must use a LAN cable or Wi-Fi connection.

Thank you

Hi Rose, thanks for your response. I have few more questions.

1 - So when streaming Apple Music, i can use in-app music streaming. Can I stream from my iOS devices directly to rose product?
2 - can it stream hi-res lossless 24bit/192khz? Or what is the highest audio quality it can achieve?

Thanks in advance

If I remember correctly 256bps AAC is the only format available for Apple Music on Rose now.

@ccthered

Let me answer to your questions.

1. Yes, Apple Music is in-app on your Rose device, so you can connect it to Rose and operate it after downloading the RoseConnectPremium app on your mobile phone.

2. In-app Apple Music does not support lossless streaming.

• Currently, the audio source of Apple Music Official SDK (Apple Music Kit) only supports AAC.
    • In the Apple Music app, lossless music is also supported for clients implemented based on the Official SDK/API.
    • This part can be supported by updating the API and SDK in Apple Music.
    • Hi-Fi Rose is making various attempts/accessions/contacts to support Apple Music lossless sound sources.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi Rose, am considering Rose streamer as DAC to connect to my amp and from my amp to speakers. Which streamer would you recommend? RS250?

The RS250 is a good starter. If you want higher sound quality, RS150B is recommended.

Hi Rose, other than RS250, I also noticed RS201e, which one would you recommend?

As you have your own amplifier, I would recommend RS250 or RS150B.
RS201E is all-in-one model. (Streamer + DAC + Amplifier)

Hi Rise, Make sense. Which port should I use to connect to my amp for best audio quality? Thanks for your advice

Most likely the analog audio out so that the digital to analog conversion is done in the rs150b or rs250.

Integrated amps generally have lower quality DACs.

1 Like

My plan is to use RS250 as DAC, hence I want to make sure the connection is correct. Is this analog RCA cable?

Hello,

If you want to use DAC in RS250 and connect with your amplifier, use RCA cable.
ANALOG OUT in the photo you’ve uploaded.
(I guess your amplifier has input port for RCA)

Hi Roseloa, thanks for your sharing. Last question for my own understanding. What do you think of BluSound Node vs RS250?

I added songs that are not available in apple music and encoded them in several formats in apple music and add in the cloud.
Streaming on imac.
Streaming on android 13.
No streaming on RS 201E.
Apple cloud file playback not working.

Streaming format:

• ALAC 16 bit 44,100 kHz 961 kbit/s
  • WAV encoded with music in AAC 256 kbit/s iTunes Plus.
  • FLAC encoded with XLD in AAC 128 kbit/s - 192 kbit/s - 256 kbit/s - 320 kbit/s.
    Everything transferred to the cloud is converted and played at 256 kbit/s.

@manudream

I have a few questions to solve the problem.

1. Are you saying that the encoded sound file can be played on mac and Android 13, but not on RS201E?

2. When playing a sound source on RS201E, where was the sound source stored and played?

Thank you

My comments:

The files are encoded on a Macbook Big Sur with the Music application and XLD.

The files are played on the macbook with Music and on a Xiaomi Mi 9T android 13 with the Apple Music application.

The files are not local, they are synchronized with the cloud and then I delete them locally to read them in streaming from the apple servers.

They are read by the macbook and the Xiaomi with the apple application but not with my RS201E.

Apple files are read but not my personal files synchronized on the apple server.

This is a test to see if the apple integration is complete. :wink:

I use my superb RS201E with roon or local samba.

Thanks