John Adams - Nixon in China - mis identification issue

John Adams - Nixon in China is a 3 CD release. Disk 1 and Disk 3 are correctly identified by artist and song progression.

Disk 2 - gets interesting. This is identified as “Mary Black - Without the Fanfare” And the Rose shows a nice picture of Mary Black’s album cover. Also all her song titles are listed - although the correct times for the opera tracks are displayed. Really weird.

Perhaps, Mary Black performs on John Adams opera. Nope, she does not.

So…before ripping, I manually over ride the artist - change it back to John Adams. Next, I manually type in all the correct song titles and then I rip the disc.

Then I play back, the ripped file. All the songs are out of sequence. These are all part of John Adam’s opera - just in a messed up order.

I don’t even know (before today) who Mary Black is or why my Rose insisted that this was a Mary Black disc.

I’d love to hear ideas for a solution on this issue.

@patric9956
Let me ask you a few questions.

1. Is the information displayed in the list before CD ripping in question?

2. If the CD information in question is displayed normally, does it appear normally even when you scroll all the way down?

3. Can you take a picture of the problem CD ripping screen and show it to me? (Like the picture below)

4. The CD in question comes out as “Mary Black”, was it one of the CDs you ripped before?

Thank you

1. Not sure what you are asking, but all information relative to my John Adams Nixon in China Disc 2 is incorrect. See following snippet.

I think the problem is with your database. The reason I say this is I lost my internet for a while today and the Rose could not connect to your database and the disc information came up unknown.

When my internet service was restored and the Rose was able to reconnect to your database, I got the following bad data:

1. The entire data displayed is bad.

2. Yes see above.

3. I don’t own anything by Mary Black. I have no idea who she is.

Patrick

Hey Patrick, having ripped hundreds (and hundreds…) of CDs to the Rose, I can share with you my experiences.

The Rose CD playing/ripping software has a number of problems which I have reported here for nearly one year, all sorts of issues, from how the metadata (the databases containing all CD info) is displayed, double/multiple discs releases, to text/languages/characters, albums been split in two, etc. - quite frankly, it’s a minefield.

I believe the Rose team is working on these, but we have no indication of when all these issues will be fixed.

Your issue is something that can be encountered with some CDs, where in the metadata two (or even three) different albums are associated/linked to that specific disc. Once again, on other music softwares (I am thinking of i-Tunes, for example), you have a drop down menu where you are given the option of choosing - like in your case - between John Adams and Mary Black’s albums so that - before ripping - you can save the correct/corresponding info. This option is not available on the Rose, so you can either edit manually all the John Adams info (song, artist name, etc.) on the Rose main panel display before ripping, which is time consuming and laborious, or give up.

A number of people on this forum have ripped their CDs separately (using a separate and much more reliable/accurate PC/Mac software) and then transferred the data to the internal SSD, or they have relied on Roon, which I hear is much more efficient (at a subscription cost though…). I didn’t know I had to do that to guarantee an accurate/correct outcome.

I trusted the Rose to do all the ripping correctly for me but I have encountered a wide variety of problems and my Music Library remains full of visible and rather annoying errors. I have no other option than waiting for Rose to fix these issues.

Alessandro,

Thank you for the kind and thoughtful reply. Actually, for this disc, I did enter all the information manually and did a rip and then I played it back. When manually entering the date, I did not alter any of the track numbers; however, upon play back, the Rose played the tracks in a non-sequential order, which really does not work all that well on opera. On many pop albums, that do not have a specific theme, that is not much of a concern, but opera, which is telling a story, that is a no go.

Again - thank you for taking time to respond, it shows your passion for the Rose community. Hopefully, Rose will get its act together relative to their meta-data database. I’ve considered Roon, but I despise the subscription model - I like to delude myself into thinking I actually own something.

1 Like