Managing large volumes of music files

Dear Folks

How many of you have more than 3,000 songs connected to your Rose on any media ? (USB/SSD/NAS/HDD…)

As you may know, ROSE OS can only load 3,000 songs into your queue at a time.

I’m sure this technical limitation will be resolved at some point, but until then, I’d love to talk about how to listen to your favorite songs more convienient.

N.P. Big Log - Robert Plant
Next : West Berlin - Camel

Ryan

1 Like

I have about 12,000 songs loaded onto an SSD in my RS150B. The 3,000 song limit per playlist queue has not really factored in my use of the product. I rarely want to queue up all of those songs which cover a lot of genres from Rock, Jazz, and Classical. I typically would want to listen to an album or set of albums. I never need to queue up the entire library during a listening session. If I want a radio, I use that functionality in the RS150B using the built-in radio or Apple Music.

1 Like

I would recommend you look at ROON as a solution. I have over 300,000 tracks on NAS with a Nucleus+ as core. I recognize this is a different direction but honestly ROON changes the music listening experience forever. Could not imagine not having it…

2 Likes

Hi Ryan
If an average song has 3.5 minutes, your queue would run for more than 10500 minutes, or 175 hours or more than one week. So why is 3000 tracks not enough for 1 Playlist?
I have more than 120000 tracks, but non of my playlist contain more than several 100 tracks.
And to manage my collection, and get more out of it, I use Roon, which is much faster, and does not have so many limits. Music is centrally stored on an NAS.
I am happy this way, and use the internal disc only for SACD ISO Files (just for demonstration purpose) - I have all my DSD Files also in Roon.
Its a strategic decision.

3 Likes

Thanks for the all valuable and informative opinions.

I don’t want to listen to 3,000 songs at once and that’s just not possible.

Since ROSE OS can load to queue in the order A to Z every time, so I cannot listen to the songs that start with x, y, z without additional operation.

if ROSE OS load 3,000 songs with random option when loading to queue, maybe I would not have raised this kind of question.

Not all users to have consistent listening patterns and roon would probably not be my option.

I agree - I have 40000+ songs and if Rose would select randomly 3000 songs out of ALL songs, then I would say it’s ok but at the moment - it’s not! My Olive 4HD could do that over 12 years ago :point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

@Ryan that makes sense. I agree. The current Rose capability only seems to allow a curated playlist which can be tedious.

There should be an option that simply lets you start playing a random sampling of your music library. That could be from a genre, entire library, artists, etc. the current interface on the iOS app comes close as you can classify the library to achieve this in a search, but it’s missing the play button or even the option to pop the results into a playlist.

Luckily, this is software, so they should be able to program this.

@ROSEHAN This thread calls for an enhancement request to be able to simply randomize or play an entire library or genre, etc. Is there a way to accomplish this?

In the current interface, it seems that you need to select what you want in a playlist. We would want a way to just create a playlist from the library. It would seem ok to limit the result to a smaller subset, like 3000 songs. But it would make sense to just find a genre or all of the albums from an artist and just press play.

I have 44.319 songs on a Synology NAS. Everithing works fine, unless the data update, which takes forever. Almost one day to rescan the db. My Cambridge Au

Does this in à few minutes.

Its a well known fault, but Rose seems not able or not willing to do anything immediately :man_facepalming:t2:

I’m sure they have a plan to address this issue.

IMHO, this market is only going to get bigger and ease of managing large files should be a basic attribute when compared to competing products.

To rule the captive market with a bigger lineup, better features, it will be cheaper today than tomorrow. :^)

I have been using computers over 40 years now, and one thing I noticed that a lot of people who claim to know how to use a computer are just trained monkeys (excuse le mot). They only know how to get what they want through a method they learned long ago. It doesn’t matter how cumbersome it is they stick to their ‘proven’ methods.

Ask yourself: does it really get me what I want? Do you want to be free and creative? Or do you want blinds on and only chew what you’re given. Or planned a week ago? Or… Do you only like your paintings as a jigsaw puzzle? That’s probably not how the artist imagined his painting. Or maybe you like your van Gogh with Campbell tomato soup for a ‘just’ cause? Because you! are creative and paint your hair purple?

Jokes aside: playlists are terrible. It takes away your focus. You don’t take your streamer for a 20k run or vacuum the livingroom. You want to LISTEN to music. Mindfulness instead of a-musement (mindlessness). I also listen to vinyl (always have) and I also enjoy the ritual. Thinking of what I would like to listen to, pick the album, put it on, (clean it) and start to play from the beginning in the order the artist intended.

Of course some people enjoy hanging a jigsaw puzzle on the wall in a frame (to show of their skill?) but I prefer an original oil painting.

Listen to your spirit and then decide what you want to hear. Don’t put yourself in a straight jacket.

1 Like

I don’t know what you are trying to tell us but shuffle play and playlists are things people do! That does not make us simple people! Anyway, things my Olive 4HD could manage over 12 years ago shouldn’t be to difficult to program :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:

Who is the the ‘us’ you are talking about? Why do you claim to speak for everyone if you yourself feel offended? Did you not get the disclaimer?

I was just speaking of my own personal experience how I noticed that by learning to use certain software the user is being trained. Not the user telling the software to do what they want. That made me the trained monkey. However, intelligence means cognitive ability to adapt to changing situations.

It is like getting to choose between two preselected options and the person thinking he has free choice. If what you want corresponds exactly with either of those, you are in luck.
If you want to use shuffle or a Playlist, that’s just fine. But there are other (I think; better) ways. Shuffle is just horrible if you have a wide taste.

If you think a product from 12 years ago is good then keep using it. But don’t try forcing full implementation of legacy code into modern products.

I was trying to make readers think. But I guess I failed there. Or maybe not.

Legacy audio machines make economic decisions based on the sum total of design, tone, connectivity, brand and price.

And the gate for requesting and getting additional feature improvements is closed after buy.

An iPhone or Android device is constantly improving its user experience with OS and firmware upgrades.

I think straming machines should be no different and we are talking about its OS.

And it is the right thing to do for Rose as well.

That’s why we need a board like this.

@Jeep, I get the feeling from your writing that you are rudely imposing your hardended ideas based on 40 years of experience on others.

Different and wrong are not the same thing.

Ryan

I am not rude. But there is always someone taking things the wrong way because they don’t take the time to read. Or write a proper response. Instead they chose to be offended.

I can’t help it if someone doesn’t care to learn quotes or look them up. I said “excusez le mot”. That means ‘I’m sorry to use the word but it’s a phrase’.

And true, I don’t abide lazy woke people that get triggered by a word and deranged a topoc with one sentence.

I also don’t like people that don’t do research but instead dump their lazy question into a forum hoping that there’s someone who takes the bait.

Or dump their opinion in one sentence without any argument or reasoning. You can’t learn anything from that, unless of course it’s a simple closed question. (and it’s not the first time I noticed)

So, who wants to argue the question if a playlist worth more than one week of continuous play is useful? And for what?

Is there really nothing more useful to bother the programmers with? I really appreciate their continuous effort to improve the product experience.

Anyone attacking the messenger instead of talking about the issue is just showing he has no argument.

Managing large volumes of music files, like 4TB, is just silly with a text file like a Playlist. That’s like writing a book, or a webshop page with notepad. You need to organisme your files properly in a tree list and tag them uniformly. Then you can make a parsable database.

@Jeep I respect your opinion.

But I want to emphasize that it’s important to recognize that everyone’s llistening patterns and approach to music is different.

People who post outrageous questions do so for a reason, and people who use it well can answer and help them on a board like this.

You may think it’s silly to manage 4TB or 3,000+ song files. but the competitor can makes it look easy, so I think we can expect and demand it.
Because it can be done with improvements to Rose OS.

I think we can as Rose OS to add one more knob for bass enhancement.

I want to lean on the strenghs of Rose’s philisophy, product identy, their technology and active communication with consumers.

@Jeep - ok, here I want to give you the full reply since you think I can only do one sentence replies:

1. First of all, what does shuffle play mean? It means to play songs in a random selection of a pool of songs.
  2. Secondly, to create a playlist of 3000 songs like being the case with the Rose products takes a lot of time. Why should I spend hours to do so when it can be done by simply pressing a button?
  3. Yes, I would be happy even if these products could do that in honest (3000 songs), but they only ever select songs from letters of the beginning of the alphabet!
  4. There is a fast forward button, should a song being played you not like. Surely that can’t be difficult for you? I take your tablet, phone or the remote control are not located too far away from you when you listening to music?
  5. Another point would be, that the musical flavour of some people might not be as extreme as going from metal music to classical music.
  6. I would think, that if you don’t like the shuffle feature simply don’t use it!
  7. I would also like to refer you to a previous comment here, that when it is simple for other companies to implement a feature easily, then it should be easy for Rose to do that too.

These points are obviously only my opinions, but I think they express exactly the same then my one sentence reply. I am sorry to tell you, that that’s how I am in life - straight to the point! At one stage in my professional life the top manager of a corporation let me have a £600 bonus for being exactly like that.
In any case, have a nice weekend :+1:t2:

2 Likes

How do you know rose doesn’t shuffle beyond the first named 3,000 songs.

• Is this true? I’ve only surpassed 3,000 added today and have seen some Y and Z in the playlist. I use 8TB internal. Does anyone know if it pulls the shuffle playlist from the entire library?

@JOHNxxEIRE - I found out on a call with an ROSE engineer that a number of songs that are not limited on any machine, including my car, are limited on my ROSE OS.
You will see comments on this board from users with similar demands to mine.

It’s been a long time since then and I don’t know if they’ve quietly adopted our demands, counting 3,000 songs on odd days from Z and vice versa.

Half of the 6,000 songs I have are English titles and the rest are Korean titles.
I can still only randomly listen to songs with English titles.

1 Like