Metadata retrieved from CDs is wrong

Using a RSA780 HiFi Rose CD to rip to 4TB SSD installed/formatted in Rose RS250. Connected via Ethernet.
Have been ripping & dozens work just fine. Maybe half need to be searched to get a/the correct album art.
Now I am beginning to get the wrong info for the disc I am ripping.

Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead 50th Ann. Delux Edtn, 3 CD set,
CD1=the album Wkgmns Dead
CD2= Live set from 1970
CD3= bal of Live 1970 set

When I put CD1 in the 780… List & artwork comes up automatically (as expected) - (photo#2)

Photos 3,4 &5 show as I scroll down CD1 list… CD2 & CD3 are listed too!

When I ripped CD1 - even though it has all 3 disc tracks listed, it only ripped CD1. ???

Put in CD2 for ripping.

Info is for RED HILL by CHAGE&ASKA ???

Put in CD3 and we are back to Workgmns Dead -

but all 3 discs listed again, even though only disc 3 is in the drive

the number of tracks on a disc always displays correctly - regardless of what album it THINKS it is ripping. If the disc has 8 tracks, but the machine displays the info for an album with 12 tracks, it will show only 8 tracks (but with the wrong metadata).

ANOTHER SET THAT DOES THIS is Govt Mule’s ‘Mulenium’ live 3 CD set.

I put in CD1 & all info comes up… plus tracks for the next 2 CDs!

THEN- I put in CD2

List shows BLUE FIRE by Jessica Williams!!! Whaaa?

Then put CD3 in…

and again it lists CD1, CD2 & CD3 in the track list for CD3!!!

Much much more common is for Commercial discs to not bring up ANY info - “unknown”

This ‘unknown’ listing happens much, much too often. We can’t connect a keyboard to enter info, so we are left to ‘tap out’ letters on the front of the machine.
Im not going to do that. Rather have YOU fix it.

I hope all of these photos come thru. If not, let me know how to attach them & I can resend.
Please help.
Thanks, John

Hello,

I’m sorry about the issue with 3 CDs in one album. I will have to buy those CDs and fix it.

About ‘unknown’, when the CD’s ID is not in database, it shows unknown.
We will try to get more database for CD and improve way to correct information.

1 Like

hi, I think John’s important point, is that if you allow bluetooth keyboard (is it possible in next update) users can type their own album information in the case of unknown CDs; thanks

3 Likes

One thing I failed to mention — I am adding disc #s to the end of the CD title! - CD Name d1 and rip 1 disc of the set at a time.
I have run into a couple problems. When I load Disc #1 of a set,the ROSE lists the Tracks for ALL discs (see photos above). Then I load Disc #2 and it either comes up with some way-off-the-wall data (see photos above) or it basically repeats disc1 info - Title, Artist & track info for ALL discs.
Disc #3 usually loads just like disc #1.
When I rip them I add the d# at the end of the Title - to keep them separate.
Thought maybe THAT was causing problems. So I ripped a 2 disc set, and didn’t edit anything.
D1 > all Data appears (tracks D1, D2, t1-7 each) > Rip to SSD
D2 > all Data appears (tracks D1, D2, t1-7 each) > Rip to SSD

Checked files on SSD: 7 tracks (not 14) the files are D2 t1-7 but the titles are from D1!
Another 2 disc set I ripped this way - no editing - ripped both discs, but puts the tracks from both discs together. Track D1 T01, D2 T01, D2 T02, D1 T02, etc. (<-the reason I put the Disc #s on them!)
So this isn’t working at all. All I can rip now are single CDs - until somebody can give me an answer. ARRGH.

And fix it so we can EDIT THE SSD!!! I have too many ‘mistakes’ on it. :rofl:

1 Like

Hello,

I understand how uncomfortable it is. I will try to find a better way.
Thank you for your feedback.

A BT keyboard would be very helpful, as would be the ability to pair the 150 with BT headphones (to make up for the lack of a headphone socket).

Hi, CDs that show ‘unknown’ are also likely to be hybrid CDs - this has been discussed on this thread:

Multiple CDs are not recognised by the Rose and #1, #2 (or other numbering options) must be edited/inserted manually before the ripping process, otherwise the Rose will jumble all tracks together, irrespective of the order on the individual CDs.

@ROSELOA these issues apply to all multiple as well as hybrid CDs together with all the problems related to metadata or - even more problematic - when accents/hyphens/apostrophes/dashes are present in album titles, artist names, song titles. Even more disheartening when - because of this - albums are saved split in two parts…

All of these have been signalled to the Rose team for nearly one year now. If you look at the CD Ripping section there are many posts on this…

Allowing users to edit as well as delete the data that the Rose has mistakenly saved to SSD would make it easier for all of us that continue - relentlessly - to experience these issues and have music libraries full of errors and mistakes.

Please do something about this.

I -THINK- it is aready possible to edit the SSD… and in the manual no less!
Chapter 5 deals with the SSD. “Chp 5-3. How to copy files over the Network”

Set the SMB ID/PW in Storage Settings - Main Menu>Settings> (opens in Syst Info screen - Note the IP Address number)>Storage Settings>SMB ID/PW Settings (turn on).

The SMB ID/PW pop up opens asking for an ID, a PW, 3rd line reads “workgroup”.
You can use any id & pw you choose, make note of them. Enter those & the Rose is all set.

Now open your laptop & connect to the same network the Rose is on. Once that has been done, go to your file browser (File Explorer in Wdws) and type in the IP Address of the Rose. You MUST begin with 2 back slashes- ie \ \123.456.7.89
A pop up opens for you to enter the ID & PW you made up for the Rose. Enter those, hit OK and you should be in! If you don’t see ROSEDRIVE on your laptop, look under Network on the left side of computer files/folders. Open ROSEDRIVE and you should see your EDITABLE! files
Spent ALL DAY yesterday fixing junk on the SSD! And moving files. Lots of files. Good luck.

oh, and I still get @%*# when ripping multi disc CDs. The correct files rip to the drive (CD1 rips all CD1 songs, CD2 has CD2 songs) but ROSE sees it as a multi disc set and lists NOT THE FILES ON THE INSERTED DISC - but all of the songs on ALL OF THE DISCS.
So when I insert CD2, it rips the correct files, but TAGS them as CD1 (until it runs out of CD1 tags and just continues with CD2 tags). If there are 3, 4, 5+ discs in a set, only CD1 comes out tagged correctly.
The easiest way is to rip the files to your laptop - then transfer to the ROSE :roll_eyes:

Also - Having a disc return all “unknown”. I get that Hybrid CDs, Home Made CD-Rs, et al mess up the meda data.

But when I have a store-bought, commercial release, one single disc CD… and Rose can’t find it?
Maybe talk to DIscogs. They know DBs and CDs. Perhaps they’d sell you access to their goldmine???

In all fairness though, the problem for me of unexpected ‘unknown’ popping up is very small, only a few CDs out of hundreds.

ATTN: HiFi ROSE

Where the problem with ‘wrong info’ coming up HAD been on multi disc sets.
Now it is doing it with single CD releases too.

My B I G problem, though is the ROSE listing ALL of the tracks of ALL of the discs no matter which disc is in the player to be ripped.
Am I missing something? Why would anyone want that? No matter which disc (1 or 2… or 3 or 4 or more) the track listing starts with D1 T1. Put in Disc 5… D1 T1 listed as 1st track.
The FILE is correctly ripped from the CD, just Labeled wrong.
So what am I doing wrong???

Same story with Pink Floyd’s The Wall which is 2 discs set. It seems is a common problem for CD sets.