MTS files payback

Hi,

I’ve setup local network access to my NAS that holds .music shows that are actually blue ray rips.

The files in the stream folder are MTS but rose cannot access them for playback

Can rose play blueray rips from storage ?

Thanks
Meni

lol… you really ask if an audio focused playback device can playback video stuff? lol

It’s a well built audio device running android based os that has HDMI in/out.
So the answer is yes… I expect it to play well recorded music shows.

It has vlc pre installed and vlc plays mts files.

Would be nice to have the option to on to side load our own apks as well.

@Meni I play movies and other video file RIPs using my RS150B. It works quite well. I use the network folder under the video tab. I use the iPhone app to do it. I navigate to the network share - I am using a MAC mini with an SMB folder share that the RS150B connects to via Ethernet.

I don’t use MTS, I use MKV (using makeMKV) for the DVD, HD BluRay, and 4K BluRay movies. These are listed as supported and do work. The doc from Rose does not list MTS explicitly, but it may work.

The video stream perfectly well in my setup.

That is one of the benefits of the Rose stuff is that although it’s audiophile audio centric, it is also a capable video device.

1 Like

@Meni
Below is the list of codecs supported by Rose…

1 Like

Mts or ts are just transport streams that hold compressed video which i am sure is of a supported codec.

If the file browser will recognize mts files and send them to the player, I’m pretty sure it’ll work

Let us know what you find. We know the contents of the containers should work.

Ok,
When trying the video icon, folder and then browse to my network server i am able to play m2ts files which is good :relaxed:

• As i cannot see the file size in the rose connect app - it’s difficult to identify which file is the main

• subtitles appear on the rose device screen instead of the TV where the video plays (tv icon - on)

• with high bitrate of multi channel audio track, it seems like rose is having a hard time buffering fast enough. Connected through ethernet, 1Gb port and other android tv devices such as Nvidia shield play this exact file with no issues through the same network cable so its not a storage / network bottleneck.

Hope this helps

Meni

Hi @Meni
I used to have a lot of buffering issues with 4K movies when using MKV containers… My newer MAC Mini M2 seems to send those along much better than my prior Intel MAC Mini (2012).

I do think the challenge is that the Rose 150B does not buffer sufficiently well when playing files. It is clearly optimized for Audio files.

I use RoseTube (their native app) to also play YOUTUBE videos and I also occasionally get buffer issues when playing 4K videos on sone channels.

I think all of this requires Rose optimizations which we may or may not ever see since these are video related issues. The argument could be made that they do support RoseTube and it does have buffering issues.

I too have 1GB ethernet and also have 1gig Internet service. None of these issues with buffering occur when playing Apple TV or Plex with the same MKV files and YourTube channels. So, it seems to be a Rose Issue.

BTW - when playing YouTube channels that consistently pause and start due to buffer issues, I can usually fix the issue by forcing the RoseTube app (using the touchscreen) to play the video in 1440p instead of 2160p. That fixes the problem. The overall setting for the Rose TV interface does not seem to address the buffering issues for YouTube content. It would be nice if they allowed you to set the Rose interface to 1440 or 1080 and then force Youtube to send no video higher than that…

@Manny

Rose are using Android OS, hence Kernel, drivers, CPU compatibility… those are already resolved and working.
I understand they included an extremely high performance DAC and hopefully high quality Op Amps and other electronic parts, carefully implementing the circuits to the best possible outcome.

The video playback part and buffering are handled by the more COTS hardware and software to my understanding.

If we had access to install third party APKs, we could have installed MXplayer which i think is better than MKV and test whether it improved the situation…

Meni

Rose bundles VLC for video playback along with an internal video engine. I would presume that they manage the buffering parameters when using these video engines to render video using their supported CODECs.

As noted, I use the 150B for video playback everyday. I have no issues with audio streaming, but I do occasionally run into what seems like buffer overrun issues when streaming high resolution video (4K). I have to manually override these to a lower resolution like 1440p which resolves the buffer overrun conditions.

The progress bar during video playback usually shows a substantial buffer for lower quality video, but for 4K it’s almost real-time - so any slight delay in the stream causes the 4K video to halt while the buffer fills up again and video resumes. I think YouTube has faster streaming for more popular channels - so not all 4K content has these buffer issues.

Their use of Android definitely helps Rose with third party support - so they don’t need to write everything. But the use of Android 7 pretty much keeps it a closed proprietary implementation - which is probably good for stability, but not so good for currency, etc.

Maybe @ROSEHAN can help clarify options to resolve video playback buffer issues using RoseTube. If we experience 4K video stop/start issues related to buffering issues with the video stream, do we have any options or capabilities to alter the buffer - other than manually selecting a lower resolution video stream.

I am streaming 4k content from my local NAS.
I built a Solaris ZFS based storage with over 40TB setup as RaidZ, similar to raid 5, all disks are 7200RPM and the machine fully utilizes it’s 1Gbe port. Rose is connected via wired ethernet so no reason for buffering from the storage side.
I know Linux handles NFS much more effectively hence my initial request for NFS support.

I suffer from sound breaking and streaming problems when streaming BMDV content that has multi channel audio.
I’m fine with stereo but Rose has to downstream those channels to stereo IMO.

Meni