My RS130 i2S doesn't work at all

Here are the answers to today’s questions you asked:

  1. Yes
  2. There really is not anything to take a photo of. A generic HDMI cable and then an Audioquest HDMI cable have been plugged into the i2S ports of both the RS130 and the Denafrips Terminator II DAC. The connection worked very well in i2S A-mode for eight weeks and produced beautiful sounding music–i.e., two weeks with the generic cable and six weeks with the upgraded Audioquest cable. Then it stopped working around April 1st, when I first reported the problem above, and has only produced faint static and crackling noise through my speakers with no music.

After four weeks, does the software team have any other solutions given all of the thorough information I have provided per your questions above that you started asking me April 27th?
Jim

Have you Un-Plugged your Denafrips Terminator II DAC to reset it and verified the DACs I2s pinout settings.
I use a RS130 on A mode PS Audio standard to my Denafrips Terminator 15th DAC with the I2s set with all lights off 0.0.0 with a Tubulus Concentus I2s cable or Wireworld Silver Sphere 48 HDMI cable or Audioquest Thunderbird 48 cable that all work fine.

Hi Michaels1963,
Can you please specify which version you used on the RS130 (A Mode or B Mode) with the Wireworld Silver Sphere 48 HDMI cable?
Have you also tried the Wireworld Stellar™ 48 Fiber Optic HDMI Cable?

I’m not an i²s expert so I may be wrong. AFAIK, your HDMI Cable may be the problem. See Michaels1963’s post; he recommends

  • a Tubulus Concentus I2s cable ← see tubulus.net
  • or Wireworld Silver Sphere 48 HDMI cable
  • or Audioquest Thunderbird 48 cable

True there are a few HDMI cables that will not work with I2s
There is no standard protocol for I2s but most not all manufactures use the open-source PS Audio standard, also eARC HDMI cables are not compatible with I2s

BTW, For a small fee, Tubulus will custom build the cable’s pin connections ← for details see www.tubulus.net

1 Like

“A Mode” which uses the PS Audio standard pinout since there is no industry standard for I2s most but not all manufactures use the PS Audio standard.
There is no need to use fiber HDMI for I2s to work properly most manufactures recommend a HDMI cable no longer than 1 meter in length

1 Like

I thought an i2s cable’s pin connections were hardware connections (hence, Tubulus’s offer to custom build the cable). If this is true, then why/how can a generic Wireworld/Audioquest HDMI Cable work?

Wireworld and Audioquest plus many other manufactures make standard HDMI cables with 19 individual wires for Audio and Video so all 19 wires are not used for I2s
Tubulus makes their cables to order they don’t keep them in stock on the shelf. Tubulus I2s cables only use the necessary wires for the audio only with no video wires it keeps the noise to a minimum. I2s is used to transport digital data between digital devices and the first company PS Audio to implement I2s between there SCAD transport and there DACs chose to use a HDMI cable because it can transmit digital data fast enough for the purpose and its widely available. Some manufacture also use Ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors to transport digital data between devices ether way the sending device and the receiving device need to be setup with the same pin configuration to communicate with each other properly

Thanks for the answer,
I didn’t say that HDMI with fiber optic is needed, I just asked if you tried such a cable.
By analogy, if fiber optic is better for the ethernet connection, I wonder if here too an HDMI cable with fiber optic wouldn’t have better performance than copper.

Like you I have wondered the same thing since I run fiber optic cable from my data closet to my listening room’s Matrix Audio SS-1 Pro switch then fiber to my Rose RS130
No, I have not tried fiber optic HDMI cables because they are designed for long runs and most high-quality fiber optic HDMI cables start at 5.0 meters, and all of my equipment is close to each other on two purpose built stereo racks and the manufactures of my I2s DACs Denafrips Terminator-15, Denafrips Venus II 12th, Ferrum Wandla GSE all recommend I2s cables to be 1.0 meters or less.

I asked because I found the Stellar™ 48 Fiber Optic HDMI Cable in 1m, 2m, 3m lengths at a really good price and I was tempted to buy it.
The fiber optic connection between the switch and the streamer is not related to the connection between the streamer and the DAC. They are two different things!
I use fiber optics between RS130 and DAC, via RSA720, and I would also try the I2S connection via fiber optics.

My network is fiber to the RS130 streamer and I2s to my Denafrips Terminator-15 DAC with a Tubulus Concentus Silver I2s HDMI cable. I looked into the Wireworld Stellar 48 fiber optic cable but Wireworld website shows the minimum length of 5.0 meter so I contacted one of my dealers The Cable Co .com and they confirmed the minimum is 5.0 meters or maybe there don’t make the short cables anymore. Make sure the cables you are looking at are not counterfeit.

Wireworld Stellar 48 Optical HDMI Cable | 8K Fiber Optic Cable

I understood, from the beginning, that your connection to the network for the streamer is made through optical fiber. I don’t understand why you keep repeating that, that’s not what I asked. I’m only interested in the connection between the streamer and the DAC via I2s and in particular the use of an optical HDMI cable.
I also checked on the Wireworld website and saw that the shortest length is 5m, but AudioMonkey has a solid reputation on the market, being the official representative of several prestigious brands. If you still contacted your dealer, why didn’t you show him the audiomonkey link and find out what the truth is.

They should just rename I2S to LowIQ…

The one (fake) advantage of I2S, allegedly, is that the signal is not modified from some “internal representation” as it moves around. Guess what happens when you try to move electric signal over a fiber-optic cable…

Not that people who believe in I2S could or would understand any of it…

From my various connection tests between my RS130 and my RD160, it was the HDMI I²S connection (A mode) that gave me the best results.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Never underestimate the golden ears of true audiophiles. They are perfect at hearing things that aren’t there!

1 Like

Hi Michael,
I’ve been traveling and now playing catch-up. Thanks so much for your advice to unplug my Terminator DAC. It worked! The I2S connection from the RS130 to the DAC now works again. Since I’m using the A-Input that uses PS-Audio’s standard, I’m using the 100 configuration mode as recommended by in the DAC’s manual.
Cheers!
Jim

1 Like

Happy to Help, I’m glade to worked for you. Enjoy the Music