No SACD Playback

Is there a reason my Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD plays CDs but not SACDs via coax? The Azur is set to output stereo DSD.

The coaxial output does not output DSD signal. Maximum resolution for coax is 24/192.

1 Like

I see, thanks.
So the USB output would be the answer?

No, with the CA you can use for DSD only the analogue output or HDMI.
The problem with SPDIF isn’t the bandwith (DoP is working until DSD64), but the copy protection and no commercial SACD player puts out DoP (only native DSD).

1 Like

Ok, that’s good to know. Thanks for your responses.

This is what I ordered (not received yet) in China: Tzt Hdmi Compatibel/Mhl Digitale Interface Audio I2S/Dsd/Optische/Coaxiale Hdm Compatibele I Te i2S Iis Ondersteuning Coaxiale Dop Board|Spraakherkenning/Controlemodules| - AliExpress
Whith HDMI input from your Blu Ray/ SACD player it is supposed to output I2S via its HDMI output and “DSD over PCM” (DoP) over its coaxial (not SPDIF optical) output. I don’t know if it will work but when one doesnt’t try…
Here a review of this box where he outputs I2S via HDMI to his preferred DAC: Play your SACDs through your outboard DAC! - YouTube

Try it, but I’m sure, that this box will not working with SPDIF and DSD, because the player will not output DoP.

@burki You are right, for the converter they only advertise DoP output over coxial. I modified the text in my reply :slightly_smiling_face:

I saw your reply in the other topic about what RS250 does accept on its inputs, I haven’t had reply from Hifi Rose yet whether our device accepts DoP on its inputs. Do you have experience with inputting DoP into the coaxial input of the RS250??

Tried it for you with the Fiio M11 Plus (output through SPDIF at DoP) and the RS250.
Result: The RS250 plays the content as PCM (88,2 or 176,4 kHz). Also tried different cables, but can’t get DSD through SPDIF into the Rose.

Also tested the same source over SPDIF with two other DACs (Naim Uniti Atom HE and Matrix Audio element i2): Both DACs accepting DoP and showing 2822.4 kHz on the display.
So it’s Rose, which has here a problem…

Thanks for testing! A pity with RS250 it didn’t work out as hoped. I 'll report back when the Chinese converter has arrived and I put it to the test.

My bad: I confuse S/PDIF with Toslink, but S/PDIF signal is transported over RCA coaxial cable or over optical Toslink.

The Chinese box arrived few weeks ago, I set it up, first struggling with the power supply, my Sony UHP-H1 player wasn’t able to power the box by its HDMI 5volt, so I hooked up a decent powersupply to the box. I feed the box with HDMI signal from the Sony player, the box converts to DoP (DSD over PCM) at its Coaxial out, and from there Coaxial in into the RS250. It works! The Rose says it is playing PCM 176kHz @ 32bits. DoP should be 176kHz @ 16bits as I understand. (But RS250 makes a mess of bit depth when inputting sources into S/PDIF, even a CD player is rated 44,1Khz @ 32bits. A thing I will mention to Rose support team in another post.) Now I am able to digitally output SACD direct from my BluRay player. A possibility the developers blocked in the SACD standard.

Playing SACD via box:

Playing CD via TOSLINK: 44,1kHz 32 bits?? :

1 Like