[OTA] SW Ver 4.17.04 Software Release ( RS130/RS520/RS150/RS250/RS201 )

Roon Live Radio did not reflect changes in playback information during playback.

Thanks guys! This was a little bug bear of mine

@ROSEHAN @ROSELOA Looks good so far. One quick nitpick, in the Audio Settings screen, last item says “USB DAC nontification” – it should be “notification”

1 Like

I’m seeing this too. The RS130 display now shows something like

05 Song Title.aif

The Rose Connect Premium display on an iPad or Mac doesn’t have this issue.

Update on RS130 and Android & iOS App was seamless, but one massive bug, which is extremely annoying:

Starting a song via skip within the playlist or directly from any view within Rose Connect App always suppresses the first second of song and the song starts like faded in. Doesn’t matter if I use the Rose Connect App on iOS or Android or skip / select the song directly via touch screen of RS130.

How can THAT happen, how can that pass the test lab?

HiFi Rose, I was so eagerly after reading the release notes, but now I am completely destroyed. The RS130 is now more or less useless, only listen to a whole album is acceptable, without any interaction (only in this case the bug doesn’t appear).

With ROON it works flawlessy, no fading in when starting a song.

Call me crazy but instead of making ALL customers beta testers, HiFi Rose should recruit a small pool of willing beta testers and use them to test releases before they get pushed out?

2 Likes

@hdtv4me You have similar problems?

Can anybody else confirm this problem?
I mean this must be obviously for everyone’s…

Thanks for the great work done. All updated, but is a little new problem.
When the SSD is “folders” accessed, the title of the song does not appear, the file name appears. I attach a photo.
For me it is not a problem, it is not a usuability problem, it is only aesthetic.
Regards.

I stream to RS520 via Tidal and can safely say that I was unable to replicate the issue you described in either my Tidal playlists or albums after updating to the latest software this morning.
I don’t know what to suggest other than the usual “ factory reset”.
Here’s hoping you find a quick solution.

I use Qobuz instead Tidal, but I have the fading in issue in all use cases, but only when skipping within a album or playlist or starting the track directly. I mean that’s how you use a streamer often. Playing a whole album or playlist is fine (except the first song, also fading in). Your sure that you are skipping thru your playlist or starting tracks manually (not playing the whole playlist and never touch the Rose during playback)?

I am trying now a factory reset, clearing SSD Cache, new DB scan, deleting all Rose Connect Apps with fresh installation, hopefully this helps.

It’s so ironic because Rose staff mentioned in this forum „we will first fix all bugs instead new features“, but they did it the other way - they implement the new fading in feature…sorry about my sarcasm, but I am so totally angered…

I did a factory reset, clearing SSD Cache, new DB scan, deleting all Rose Connect Apps with fresh installation, and fading in issue still there.

As a example for better understanding: A song starting immediately with the text „You took me by surprise“ starts with „took me by surprise“, that’s probably a few microseconds, but it’s terrible when starting a track directly or skipping thru playlists.

Until now nobody else had reported this issue, but it wasn’t there before I updated the firmware of my RS130. And DB scan is still as slow as before.

I think it’s time to look elsewhere…

I have the RS520, and I have no issues playing music from Tidal.

So it only happens when you manually change a track? If it only happens on 130 (really, like any other digital transport only device that costs more than $200, an absolute waste of money to begin with) and not e.g. on RS-520’s as reported above, could it be the issue of digital output stopping when the track is manually changed, and DAC losing sync. Isn’t there some setting for the digital output to allow the DAC some more time to sync up? Could it have gotten wiped out by the upgrade?

Of course the only reasonable approach would have been to use a 250 or 520 (150 if you’re like the bigger screen, I guess) in the first place. Even 150 is both cheaper than 130 and does more better…

Interestingly, and I know this doesn’t help you much, bit I have the RS130 and I don’t have this issue skipping tracks either held locally or on Qobuz. I’m playing out via SPDIF.

There’s a possibility this may be an issue between the new iteration of the Rose OS and your DAC - some streamers all you to add a second or two of silence before a change to allow the DAC to lock on to the signal and avoid texactly this issue.

Given the issues you’ve had I suspect you might be right that it’s time to move on - which is a great shame because the ROSE hardware is superb and despite BorisM’s frequent but entirely wrong assertions the RS130, with a suitable DAC, is a significant step up from the other in the range.

You can turn off the fade-in, it’s in the settings.

I used to have six/seven icons on the display screen and they were locked. All icons were displayed in the order i wanted them.

Now it’s gone back to the ‘move from side to side thang’.

Even if I arrange the icons in the settings section, the display does not mirror that sequence.

I see that as well for all my SSD audio as well as Video files

The RS 520 also cuts the first seconds of a song when skipped, both before and after the update.

A clear example is Celine Dion: “Treat her like a lady”.

If you skip to that somg it eats 2 seconds and starts with “a lady”… 3 words missing… not good

From Tidal with RS 520

1 Like

Thank you very much for your advise regarding the fading in options didn’t know this setting exist. But this wasn’t the problem, the setting was disabled.

Directly below there is a option to set the PCM and DSD delay time. The default setting was 500ms, that was to short and causes the problem. The problem starts to go away with 700 / 800ms, I use now 1000ms. With this setting there is absolute no fading in when starting a song (manually or via skipping).

@TL73 The PCM / DSD Delaytime option should solve your problem. You have to raise is up until the fading in issue is gone. And check that the fading in setting above the PCM / DSD delaytime setting is OFF.

I had issues with Qobuz only playing portions of songs. It would skip the beginning and end early. I ended up doing a synchronization and that seemed to have worked. Tidal is and was just fine as was Apple Music. Roon still cannot play via HDMI output.

I’m happy to hear that Hifi Rose is focusing on stabilization of this platform…but my god, the software is just a mess for a $5k box. And to think that this platform is 2 years old and the product is still this unstable?

Yes setting PCM delay to 1500ms solved it, default was at 0 ms.

Thank You :slight_smile: