Playback randomly stops, starts and occasionally skips to new song

Within the last couple of months my 150B has developed a new issue. When streaming from Qobuz, playback will stop randomly for 10-40 seconds, then start again within that same song. During one hour of playback, this may happen 2-3 times. Occasionally, when the song stops (even if at the start or middle of the song), it may begin playing a different song in the middle of that song within the same album.

I realize this sounds like my internet may be buffering however I am on a 1G fiber line, with the Rose hard wired to the router. My router app will display when there is an dropout of a poor signal. I am confident these are not the issues.

This happens when playing directly from the 150 - not using an phone or tablet to control the device and without using the remote or touching the device.

This is a new issue and it is occurring every time I stream. It does not matter if I am playing from an album or a playlist from Qobuz. I thought it may be a Qobuz related issue initially, but now that it is dropping out, then skipping a song or two ahead when it comes back on (within 10-40 seconds later), I believe this is a software issue. Can you please advise.

@traveler138

We apologize for any inconvenience caused during use.

I have a few questions.

1. Does this symptom appear in other music streaming apps such as Rosetube and Tidal other than Qobuz?
  2. You said that the symptom appears when playing directly from the RS150. Does this symptom not appear when playing from the RoseConnect app?
  3. Qobuz–>The person shape button at the bottom left–>Settings–>Log out and log in again.
  4. If that doesn’t work, reset your Rose device.
    Rose device–>Settings–>System settings–>Factory reset

Thank you

I sometimes have the same issue when playing long sets of continuous music. Playback stops and then my RS250A skips to the next song. It happens on Tidal, but I don’t have any of those tracks on Qobuz. My unit is hard wired to my router and I never have playback issues on my tv, wired to the same router.

@HansRoggen

First of all, I’m sorry for the late reply.
We were away last week to attend a hi-fi audio show in Germany.

Have you tried the method above?
Please tell me if you tried and still apears the same.

Thank you

Hi Rosehan, thanks for your reply. Hope the audio show went well.
I’ve updated to ver 4.6 and will try if the problem persists.

The problem still persists when playing long continuous sets on tidal. I’m now using the cache on the ssd but that doesn’t make any difference.

@HansRoggen

We don’t see that symptom when playing music on Tidal.

Please check a few things.

1. After logging in your Tidal account to Tidal Connect, does it play normally without skipping when playing music on Tidal Connect?
  2. Does that symptom appear in a specific song? Or does it appear in any song?

Thank you

@ROSEHAN I have noticed occasionally that a track in the first 10 seconds will momentarily stop, silence for a second or so, then continue. My music source is my internal SSD installed on my RS150B. Sometime it is the same track within a stored playlist. Has happened on various stored playlists. The music file has been checked and plays faultlessly on other players.

The display shows the track buffered on the play timeline. Maybe another process on the RS150B is interfering?

Am going to play the same playlist again and record on video and see if it happens again today.

@ROSEHAN As reported above with video evidence off the front panel of my RS150B.

Played the same ‘Playlist’ which consists of all songs stored on the internal SSD on the RS150B. Take 1 is the first time and Take 2 is the second time - as recorded on my iPhone (downsampled to 540-lines to reduce movie sizes.). Tracks below with a time against them indicates where the played stopped and there was no music for a second or so. If it os going to happen it is always in the first 10 seconds of the start of the track.

Sometimes tracks pause and on another occasion the same track will also play without problem.

Take 1: Video link here: ROSE150B_Take1.mp4
NOTE: Times shown indicate when audio stops on RS150B playback in video.
1. 0’24” Paradise City
2. Summer Wine
3. Hot In The City
4. 15’06” In The Summertime
5. Summertime
6. 23’ 02” Sittin’ On The Dock Of The Bay
7. Summer Breeze
8. Lovely Day
9. Sunny Afternoon
10. 39’ 45” Cruel Summer
11. 43” 17’ Everybody Wants To rule The World
12. 47’ 34” Sun Is Shining
13. Easy

Take 2: Video link here: ROSE150B_Take2.mp4
NOTE: Times shown indicate when audio stops on RS150B playback in video.
1. 0’ 52” Paradise City
2. 7’ 39” Summer Wine
3. 11’ 56” Hot In The City

4. In The Summertime
5. 19’ 01” Summertime
6. Sittin’ On The Dock Of The Bay
7. Summer Breeze
8. 32’ 27” Lovely Day
9. Sunny Afternoon
10. Cruel Summer
11. Everybody Wants To rule The World
12. Sun is Shining
13. Easy

If I generate a similar playlist on TiDAL - all plays OK.

I have now just turned off a WebDAV sync from my Synology NAS which syncs my NAS music library with the RS150B internal SSD. I am now wondering if this was interfering with the RS150B performance?
UPDATE With the WebDAV sync paused on my Synology NAS had two instances of track stopping in first 10 seconds - test of playlist it happened on track 8 and 11. So likely there is a service / process on the RS150B running at the start of a track that is stopping playback??

Did a ‘Shutdown’ yesterday evening to remove a USB memory stick from rear. Restarted last night.
This afternoon, have just played the same playlist which had experienced track stops and all played cleanly without problem?

UPDATE 21-06-2023
@ROSEHAN On the very latest software as of this morning (v4.7.01) - set my Pre-out levels back to fixed (6500mV), etc. As a precaution, have done a full shutdown and reboot and let the ‘DB Caching’ complete.

Started to test with the above playlist of SSD again and first track pauses a few seconds in as experienced before, and it seems the pause is coinciding with the waiting for the album artwork to load and display on the screen before continuing to play? Other tracks that paused and artwork appeared before or after pauses were tracks 10 &12.