Please build my perfect streamer

The RS150 is very good, but I want a stream only, no DAC (I’ve got my own). Here are the features I want you to build in a perfect “streamer only” RS150:

• no DAC
  • large 14" touch screen panel
  • while streaming hi-res music, ability to play matching music video (video from youtube, but music from hi-res source)
  • display lyrics along with video, maybe in 30/70% split window
  • integration with Amazon HD music
  • room correction (microphone input, automatic digital output adjusted for flat response)
  • 3 digital 2-channel outputs (for 3 different DACs going to 3 different frequency speaker drivers)
  • digitally filter the frequency range going to each of the 3 digital outputs
  • digitally adjust volume level going to each of the 3 digital outputs
  • digitally adjust a time delay going to each of the 3 digital outputs

If you build this, I will happily buy at least one, maybe several.

2 Likes

Hi, billg,
This looks like wishful thinking, and from a technical point of view, it is probably possible to build, but I do not think that anyone would like to buy something like that. Let me clarify point by point.

• no DAC is super simple; it is just necessary to build an extremely good digital output section (which should not be a problem, but it costs)
  • 14" display is nonsense; that is, computer
  • combining sources is not a problem technical-wise (audio and video separated), but it is not highly likely that more than a small percentage of music you will find in hires video format
  • displaying lyrics is nonsense
  • integration with Amazon is easy, doable technical-wise but regulations on what is available in which country or territory is a quite complicated legal issue
  • room correction cannot be done as it belongs to the analog domain and not digital; separated DSP is necessary
  • what is the point of 3 digital outputs for different frequencies? For such a commodity, you need either speaker with good crossover or external crossover; btw you are missing DAC here
  • filtering is to be polite, nonsense
  • adjusting volume in the digital domain got nothing in common with a proper hifi system
  • letting end-user adjust the delay on outputs are ridiculous without equipment for fine-tunning; no one can adjust it on “ear.”

To summarize, developing such a device would be non-profitable without any market niche.

DC