Problem with rs250a - black screen and the audio is cut off

Dear friends, I greet you again.

I want to share the following situation (problem) and see if anyone can help or guide me.

I was playing music with my RS250A and out of nowhere, the screen went black and the audio stopped playing, only the power button light remained on.

This is the first time that this has happened to me, I want to clarify that the device has the latest version of the software:

Rose OS 4.17.04
Rose Ware 4.17.04.1
Rose Service 4.17.04.1
XMOS 3147
ROSE ID OD2706

I never, ever play audio via streaming; I play the audio via USB 3 with a 5 terabyte Western Digital My Passport hard drive with FAT NTFS, which I bought 1 month ago, previously I used a 4 terabyte hard drive of the same model.

Immediately, I turned off the RS250A, let it rest for a few minutes, turned it back on and used it for almost 1 hour and it worked as usual, turned it off and now I leave you with my concern.

Please can you guide me?
Thanks Jose

Thatā€™s a more serious problem than just output level.

Can you still access the RS? Via remote of app?

Did you push the button on the front or did you turn off the power? There is a difference. With the front button it goes into standby. That way it can still access the hard drive.

Remember this is in fact a computer. It can get so busy that it stops responding. One reason can be it is busy accessing the USB hard drive. Or trying to and gets hung up. A soft reboot will not always work. A hard reboot can cause failures on your disk (it will).

Itā€™s always best to let it reboot by itself. Use the app to [restart] or [shut down]. That way it shuts down all processes and lets you start again fresh. In standby the kernel keeps running a lot of base processes. If one of them loops or is corrupted in memory it will keep trying. Only powering off completely will stop that.

I donā€™t know how many songs are on your hard drive and in what form. It is a known complaint that database building takes way too long (>10h).

There is nothing wrong with streaming. But I also have my old usb HD and that doesnā€™t work as quick or informative (cover art and tags) as the internal SSD I put in. I recommend that when this problem is solved you just get a 4TB SSD and copy your songs on it and keep the usb as backup. Itā€™s always good to have a backup.

If nothing helps you can try a factory reset. Thatā€™s always my last, least favorite option. And hope your RS isnā€™t defective. In that case contact your dealer.

I hope this helps. Also wait for a Rose technician to answer here. Iā€™m just a user.

3 Likes

Jeep.

Thank you for your response and your time!

What I did was directly turn off the power and I let the RS250A rest for a few minutes and turned everything back on as I always do.

Yes, I can use the remote control without any problem.

I do not use an application from a mobile phone or tablet.
Basically for me, it is a DAC with a display that I use with its corresponding remote control (old school).

I have 4 external USB hard drives with 4 identical backups, because getting my entire audio collection took me a long timeā€¦Iā€™m excited about the idea of ā€‹ā€‹installing an internal SSD hard drive, but Iā€™m afraid to open the RS250A, I donā€™t get along very well with those thingsā€¦and on the other hand, I would have to see how I copy everything to the SSD disk, for now, I donā€™t see the latter as an immediate option.

Today, Saturday, I have been using the RS250A for more than 2 hours, and it hasnā€™t given me any problems, everything seems to be fineā€¦

Again, I appreciate your time and helpā€¦letā€™s see what the Rose technicians say, if they ever respond to me.

Thanks my friend!

Ok, it seems you have your 4 bases covered. Thatā€™s good. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: My music collection is dear to me too. It also took me a long time.

However: I really advise you to use the SSD slot. It really enhances functionality and speed.
Ok, I admit, filling it seems difficult. But itā€™s not. If you can, use a computer to copy the content of one of your disks to the SSD. That is the fastest method. If not, you can use the network, or just use the internal Rose file manager app (donā€™t do everything at once, use smaller batches first to see how it goes).Inserting the SSD into the Rose streamer is really, really easy. Itā€™s just like placing batteries in the remote.

That brings me to the remote. The BT remote does not give you the option to power down, only standby. Again, using the app REALLY enhances the functionality. Like you, I bought the Rose for the touchscreen. But the app is not just easier but it works better than the BT remote and gives you everything at your fingertips right from your lazy chair. Also the cover art and tag information. Selecting albums is much easier in a clean screen with clear thumbnails. I find selecting an album with the app works much better from the app. Itā€™s your choice, but it really makes using it more fun.

2 Likes

Yes, about having all audio backed up, I am obsessively ā€œcoveredā€; I understand what you say about applications and the ā€œnew wayā€ of doing thingsā€¦I stick with the classic, I donā€™t want to know anything about the internet or applications to listen to musicā€¦
As I always mention, the RS250A, for me, is a DAC with a display that allows me to browse my hard drive.

Again, I am grateful for your contribution and good vibes!

I did notice lately that when I use the BT remote it keeps ā€˜pushingā€™ the volume down button. So the volume ends up 0 when I resume play. I donā€™t care because I use the USB out (fixed volume). But itā€™s not desirable. Maybe I need to change the batteries? Iā€™ll change them when the remote stops working.

@Jeep

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
This appears to be a symptom of a defective BT remote control. Please contact the distributor in the country where you purchased your Rose device and request a new remote control.

Update on the remote: in this case it was just the batteries. Only 1.1V per battery seems to cause this volume behaviour. The light on the remote still blinks but the signal is too weak and causes errors.

In laymanā€™s terms: the batteries were empty. I changed the batteries and paired the remote again (push home and menu button simultaneously for 2s, search BT on the streamer, make sure the remote is in gold letters) and all is fine.

1 Like