Question on Album Artwork

I use a 4 TB SSD with my Rose 150B to store a wide variety of music.

I maintain a PC-based directory of audio files with higher resolution album artwork (approx 2k x 2k) so that artwork looks good on the connected 4K TV.

Whilst my PC database always maintains the hi-res artwork, if I have ripped the file on the Rose, and it has added low-res artwork, then even if I delete the database on the Rose and rewrite with the PC database, the Rose continues to use the Low-Res artwork.

Can anyone explain why this happens, and what I can do to force the use of the Hi-Res artwork ???

Gawayne

@Gawayne

I didn’t understand your question correctly.

1. Are you saying that when you view a sound source stored on an SSD on the RS150b screen, the album art for that sound source is displayed in low quality?
  2. When the same sound source is played on a PC, is it normally displayed in high definition on Album Art?
  3. If you connect RS150b to a PC or TV with HDMI and watch Album Art on a PC or TV, will it be displayed in low quality?

I do it in a similar way to get higher resolution art work in my FLAC files but i tag them with larger art work. Usually 1200x1200 - 1400x1400 approx. 500kb in size plus additionally the same file in the album folder a folder.jpg.
In the ROSE app on Windows and Android the art work looks not the same as in the windows computer. It seems to be downgraded and low resolution.

Rosehan … Apologies if I have not been clear.

i) The audio files are both ripped and initially stored on The Rose 150B
ii) The audio files are downloaded to a PC, metadata is edited, the individual track metadata files are deleted (those starting ".01 " for example), and the old (small) JPG file replaced with new, larger JPG.
iii) The audio files are deleted from the Rose SSD (using the PC link), and the SSD is then formatted (using the Rose 150B)
iv) The modified audio files with new JPG are uploaded to the Rose SSD
v) The database is initialised using the Rose.

I would expect that this results in the Rose using the new JPGs, however in practice the Rose continues to use the old JPGs which are either low resolution, or in some cases the incorrect images.

I have not found any way to delete these original images … how is this done.

br
Gawayne

@Gawayne
Could you try the method below? Please check if the album art with the same low resolution is displayed.

Hello ROSEHAN!
Which image files are read first?
The ones in the tags inside the FLAC file if there are any, or those on disc with the name front.jpg?
What is if there is another name for example folder.jpg which is an older standard to name album art.
The front.jpg which you suggest are named folder.jpg but i have tagged all FLAC files with high res album art.
What happens no with my album art?
Perhaps there should be an option in ROSE to select “read tagged” information first, then from folder?

Hi RoseHan

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to make any difference.
The problem I have is with a very limited number of artwork files, perhaps 20 out of about 600.

Because I keep a library of the high resolution artwork, I use a file name which is related to the album (artist name - album name.jpg). Could it be that this is causing the problem.

I’ve checked the individual album directories for the images in question and the original ‘front.jpg’ file has definitely been deleted and the only image file in the directory is my high resolution image file, but the 150B continues to display the original low-resolution (and sometimes wrong) artwork.

My next step will be to reformat the SSD as an NTFS drive, and recopy the entire database unless you have a better suggestion.

Good Morning RoseHan,

As noted elsewhere, formatting the SSD as NTFS and using a USB ‘C’ to SATA cable to write directly to the SSD worked well. Thank you.

I also discovered the cause of the low-resolution images … it seems that occasionally ripping a CD on the Rose results in FLAC files where the associated low-resolution image is only contained in the metadata of one or two of the audio files (tracks), not all of them. My initial checks on just the first file in the directory did not always pick up this image in the metadata. In consequence, when the Rose detected this low-resolution file it used it in preference to the JPG file contained separately in the directory.

The solution is to clear all the low-resolution images from the FLAC file metadata (and load the preferred high-resolution image if you wish). This can be done comparatively easily using MP3TAG while the ripped files are on the PC.

Gawayne

@Gawayne
I’m very glad your problem was resolved.