Restart System for stable system operation

I am on software version 4.7.01. While sending an Airplay stream from iTunes on my computer to my RS201E the system will crash after an hour or so of playing. Once this happens the RS201E will give an error message on the screen (see picture). After the restart iTunes will not be able to reconnect until I turn off the RS201E again and turn of the computer and reboot everything. This has been going on for a long time and I was just living with it. It is no longer acceptable. Is there a solution to fixing this problem?

Not sure if this is your problem, but I previously posted regarding a problem I had. As in the previous post, this applies to iTunes streaming ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) files to the RS250a. If the album cover artwork, as stored in the metadata of each track, exceeds 500KB in size, the RS250a will not display it, and the unit displays “restart.” The music will continue to play but no artwork appears. What is bad is that the RS250a will NEVER display artwork (no matter the size) until you restart (with optimizing, etc.) the machine. After the restart, if another file with greater than 500KB artwork comes along, the whole process repeats (forever). In my case, I found 10 albums out of 1600 that had the “problem.” Until I figured it out, the issue seemed random.

Charlie,

Thank you so much for the information. I am in the process of updating my entire library to ALAC. My problem is that the sound will stop playing on the RS201E in the living room but continue playing in my arcade room where the computer is the source. I will be mindful of this and see if I can identify the same issue. The artwork on the track that killed it today is 1.14MB (1140KB). Did you find an automated way of resizing the artwork? Did Rose say anything about fixing this limitation?

I happen to be an amateur photographer and I have Photoshop Elements installed which can reduce the image size. If you are running Windows, there is a free program called FastStone Image viewer which can also reduce the size of images. Unfortunately, they do not make a Mac version. There may be something on the Mac which can also do the job, but I’m not a Mac person. I have my Album Cover artwork stored in a separate folder. I displayed the files by “Detail” and listed the files by size. Anything larger than 500KB, I reduced and then reloaded the artwork. I hope this helps.