Roon does not show up on my RS-250

I am able to play my ROON music from my MacMini to my ROSE RS-250 via USB cable. …but on the menu…as in the manual…the word ROON never shows up anywhere on the box. Everything is done from my MacMini Roon Remote app…on Page 37 off the RS-250 Manual. it shows ROON VOLUME CONTROL ,as the 4th row on the left>

MQA Type
PCM Resampling
DSD Mode
Roon Volume Control *************
OutPut Gain

How do I fix this please ??
btw…my unit is up to date with latest software update.

Thanks
mike siegel
mike2403@mail.com

Can you check that Rose shows up as an available sound output device in your Mac’s system settings?

Note that connecting it visa USB you are not using it as a “Roon ready” device, only as an external DAC, so as long as Mac recognizes it it should work no different than using its internal speaker output.

yes ROSE shows up as an Output option. Another larger problem that I have been having, is one that MANY other users have as well > Our NAS is unable to connect as a Network source in RS-250 ,even though all the log in details are correct. After 3 days of trying everything possible, I decided on an easy fix…I connect my NAS box, with my ROON CORE, as a SOURCE. My MacMini- ROON CORE saves the NAS connection,and I am able to play all of my music thru the RS-250…

Unfortunately, Rose only supports the old SMB 1 protocol, which would be, by default, disabled on any reasonably modern NAS.

With my very ancient Drobo-FS, which did not support anything but SMB 1, I was able to connect Rose to it immediately. With a new Synology, I had to go into NAS settings and allow SMB 1 connections. Now Rose sees the music share just fine.

To be honest, if you already have Roon, the only reason I can see to connect Rose to the NAS would be if you have DSD512 tracks you really want to play bit-perfect, as Roon will only send DSD256 to RS250. Otherwise Roon is much faster at tracking changes to the library, has better UI, and you still get to see album pictures etc. on ROse’s screen. And you can apply room correction and all, too.

Boris,
When I thought the problem was my Synology NAs, I got another one I now am using a Maxtor “Central AXIS” NAS. I cannot find anyplace where there SMB-1 Protocol is listed. Where do you usually find them please >? I cant call Maxtor, as they were bought-out by Seagate and do not offer support on the legacy products.
Much thanks again,
Mike Siegel

I am not sure where (if at all) it would be on a Maxtor box, don’t have oner here, but in Synology it is in Control Panel → File Services → SMB → Advanced Settings:

setting the Minimum SMB Protocol version to SMB1 while not very good for security, allows Rose to access it.

I definitely do not have a control panel, that is anything like what you posted to me.
Thank you

Yes, these are for my Synology and would (if it has them) be somewhere else on Maxtor.

For what it’s worth, Seagate still has support documentation for Maxtor products on their site, although a quick google search shows that people seem to the problem of Central Axis only supporting SMB-1 in the first place (if it is that old it’s definitely a possibility).

How does your Roon core connect to it?

Boris,
You seem to be an expert, and I thank you VERY much…I have 2 NAS drives that will NOT connect to my RS-260 because both of them do not have SMB-V1 controls. So RS-250 sees the drive perfectly, but will NOT allow a user name and password to work. I have read many, many other frustrated users, with exact same issue.

Do you know of an inexpensive NAS ( 1 or 2 drives) that connect EASILY with my RS-250 ?
I have an old Maxtor Central AXIS and an old Synology. I spent HOURS and HOURS trying to get them to connect, before I found out about the fact that the NAS has to have SMB V1 in order to connect to a Hifi Rose unit.

Thank you once again for your valued help,
Mike S,

My ROON core is in a i7 quad-core MacMini. It is used exclusively as a Music Server.
Roon - Audirvana and Amarra-Luxe.
I have the MacMini connected to the Rs-250 thru a good quality USB cable. It is disappointing that the Rs-250 cannot use the Ethernet and the Wifi at the same time. …

The Roon seems to work fine with no issues. I am able to play my ROON music from my MacMini to my ROSE RS-250 via USB cable. …but on the menu…as in the manual…the word ROON never shows up anywhere on the box. Everything is done from my MacMini Roon Remote app…on Page 37 off the RS-250 Manual. it shows ROON VOLUME CONTROL ,as the 4th row on the left

I tried to contact someone at Hifi Rose Support with this issue, but they did not understand my question, and it became very frustrating.

Thank you very much,

Mike Siegel

Boris,
I just purchased a DROBO FS from Goodwill Industries…cheap. I also ordered a replacement power supply. I read earlier today that the NAS - has to have a STATIC IP address …is that true ??

I have FIOS - gigabit fiber-optic internet access. I think I can set up a static-IP address for the NAS but I never tried that before. Is it do-able
thx

Mike S

Thanks! I’m not an expert on Rose’s implementation of networking, but know a bit about computers…

This is pretty strange, being old your NAS boxes are much more likely to only support SMB-1, so I would double-check things.

For what it is worth, the current cheapest 2 bay Synology lists SMB-1 as a supported protocol. Really, since they all seem to run the same Disk Station software, any one of them should do.

How do you know that the Rose sees your NAS?

I don’t think there’s any consumer audio product that would support using both WiFI and Ethernet simultaneously. This would make the network stack significantly more complicated.

Unless you wanted to use your streamer as a network bridge as well, why would you want to anyway?

If you connect the Rose to your Roon core directly with a USB cable, it does not operate as a Roon Ready device (Roon Rerady is for networked products only). It will work just like any other audio device connected to the Core. At best, it will operate as a Roon Tested device (so you can get the Rose icon in Roon). Rose will have no idea (or care) whether it is controlled by Roon, Audirvana, or anything else.

I haven’t tried connecting it that way so I am not sure if it implements volume control over USB (I run mine with fixed output anyway).

If you plan on ever playing any DSD512 I would suggerst connecting it to a PC anyway. Mac support for DSD is quite limited, since it has to sens the signal as DoP. Don’t recall off-hand DSD 256 or 128 is the bexst you can transmit this way.

Hmm, I am not sure that buying a very old Drobo today is a wise decision (unless it was very cheap). Compared to modern NAS boxesx it painfully sdlow and lack of anything better than SMB-1 will create issues, too.

Having said that, NAS box does not need as static IP but it is definitely the recommended way. and makes everything easier.

Since the static assignment happens in and applies to your private network, it doesn’t depend on Verizon. This needs to be done on “your” side.

Are you using Verizon’s router or your own?

Boris, Sorry for the late response. I received my DROBO FS ,but the power supply was dead, so I have not tried it yet I’m expecting a new power brick today from Amazon.

As far as using a Windows OS rather than MAC, I have MANY machines, so I will happily set up a Windows-based NAS set up. I have an ITEL NUC Pc i7 w 16 gigs or ram. It is 10 yrs old but running Win 10.

All that I am trying to accomplish is when I go into the Hifi ROse RS-250 “FOLDER” , I can add a music source from a NAS box, as my music collection is much too large to have everything form the internal SSD drive beneath the RS-250 chassis.

I purchased the DROBO- FS. because apparently, it was easy to set up using SMBv1…which seems to be the problem that everyone has, trying to connect NAS boxes.

How can HifiRose allow this issue to exist more than 6 months after I first started reading about it. They are great with firmware and software upgrades, but I read MANY users having the EXACT same issue as I am asking you for help with. To make matters worse, I also read that every company STRONGLY advises against using SMBv1…

I spent $2500 on this streamer/DAC which is amazing with features but should be able to attach external sources within seconds…

Thank you again, Boris. BTW If you need a NAS box, I would be happy to send you one. It is the least I can do, for all of your help.
Cheers,
Mike S>

Thanks, no problem.

I am pretty happy with my new Synology 1522+ which can be finagled to support SMB 1, and is powerful enough to run Roon on, giving me the best of both worlds.

Having said that, with most recent Windows 10 updates you will now have to jump through hoops to get your PC to connect to Drobo, but it should be doable (and you’d need that to actually move music files to it), but getting Rose to see it should be easy.

It is unfortunate that Rose haven’t updated the firmware to support recommended SMB versions, but honestly Rose’s support for large libraries in general is suboptimal anyway.

Since you want to connect a NAS to the Rose anyway, as soon as you get the power supply for the Drobo, assuming it works, you should be able to copy some music files to it, using either Windows or Mac computer, and Rose will be able to scan it, once you create a share using Drobo’s control panel app.

However, since you plug it into Mac Mini with a USB cable, I assume that you have either ethernet or a strong enough WiFi where the Rose is. I would suggest plugging ethernet into Rose directly, then finding it in your Roon Core audio configuration and enabling it. Then you should be able to stream anything from your collection through Roon.That’s what I do, unless I really want to play the couple of DSD512 files I have, even though I could also use Rose to browse the Synology directly. Roon makes it so much easier…

Good luck with the new power supply though. Fior what it’s worth my Drobo-FS is probably 11+ years old now, and still going strong even if semi-retired with the Synology taking its place. If anything, you could use it as a secondary backup…

Boris,
GREAT news !!!
After buying 3 relatively cheap DROBO boxes, today I received a Drobo FS box. I read that there was no need to “turn-on” anything- the FS always defaults to the SMVv1 protocol…After installing the Drobo box, which was painless…I went downstairs to my Audio system, and turned on my RS-250 box. The RS-250 immediately found the Drobo box and also allowed me to log into it with my user and pw…which NO other NAS box , over the past 3 months allowed me to do. The Synology and Maxtor boxes never could connect.
The Rose was able to play the Music files stored on the DROBO…at last !! I really appreciate staying with me and advising me over the past couple of months. You were the only person, to offer me correct advise… I cannot thank you enough.
Be well,
mike S.

Great to hear that you have it working!

I am afraid you will find that getting music onto the Drobo will become more and more difficult as Microsoft tries to remove all support for SMBv1 from Windows, when Drobo doesn’t support anything else.

I am still convinced that it should be possible to configure Synology (most likely the Maxtor, too) to do SMBv1as well, but as long as you can have your music and enjoy it, it’s fine.

What I don’t understand:
When you have a MAC Mini with Roon Core on it, the Roon Core was able to connect and preserve the SMBv1 Connection - why would you need to upload anything to the Rose?
Roon will send everything over LAN (or WiFi) to the Rose, and everything is working.
There is no advantage to have music locally on the Rose itself.
The Rose will show up if placed in the network. My CORE runs on a Windows PC as well - and is in another room - control can be done from every other device inside my LAN/WLAN.
for the SMB connect to Synology - on the Rose you have to enter credentials 2 times (why so ever). And its the credentials of you NAS, not your Rose Account for the NAS connection. One setting lets you access the internal drive over network (to start SMB Sharing), the other lets you connect to a NAS.
I can understand, that the implementation it is not very catchy, but I can confirm that both are working just fine. I don’t know for MAC devices, as I don’t have any.
Glad you found a workaround that fits your needs.