Rose Connect (PC) Tidal Bitstream Rate Issues

This problem is noticed with Rose Connect version 4.5.2 on a Windows PC. When logged in and streaming Tidal, the data rate and bit stream type often changes from a high resolution FLAC bit stream as shown…
Hi Res

to then show as an aac type stream with 96kbps bit rate, which isn’t even a format or rate at which Tidal streams! Once this starts happening, all subsequent streams on Tidal show as aac 96kpps, and nothing you can do will change this.
Low Res

The aac 96kbps also shows on my RS520 unit’s display.

Only way I have found to clear the issue is with a factory reset of the RS520. I used to be able to clear the issue by choosing the Rose Store on the RS520, and Tidal/Clear Data, but with latest 4.6.07 software release, that method doesn’t clear the stream rate issue anymore.

Is this a bug and has anyone else experienced this issue?
Will this be addressed in the next Rose Connect release?

@Sparky

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please check one thing.
Tidal App (not RoseConnect app) → Settings → Please take a screenshot of the settings in Streaming?

Thank you

Hello. I have a few screenshots. One is of the Tidal streaming settings screen:
Screenshot 2023-05-30 102242

The next screenshot shows the Tidal app with it’s resolution window open and the RoseConnect app in the Window below/behind it showing the same song selected from Tidal and showing the incorrect stream type and bit rate:

I got the stream rate to act up by playing a selection that was an mp3 file on a network storage location at the RS520, then changed over to Tidal at the RoseConnect app. As you can see, the stream type shows as mp3 even though the app is on the Tidal. Seems that the stream type and bit rate gets confused by the RS530 and RoseConnect app if you change away from a FLAC stream, play an mp3 or aac file then come back to Tidal.

As a side note, the RoseConnect app version 4.5.1 constantly shows “Check Login Status” in a persistent message since the 4.6.07 software release for the RS520. I am logged in and streams are playing, so I see no login to check.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 093600

I just downloaded the RoseConnect update, version 4.6.03 and the constant login banner is now resolved, thank you for the fix.

Sorry to say that I still see a problem with the Tidal streams “sticking” at aac 96kbps, even though aac isn’t a stream type provided by Tidal. Please see today’s screenshot showing the Tidal app overlaid on the RoseConnect so you can see the stream type and rate differences. The Tidal app doesn’t show the actual rate, only which quality which is selected.

When this happens, the RS520 display also shows aac 96kbps. Clearing Tidal data from the Rose Store on the RS520 and logging back into Tidal clears the situation up. but you must do this every time the RS520 is powered up on a new day. Is there any hope for a cure for this or do I have a defective unit??

Initial start of RS520 (OS Version 4.6.07), RoseConnect Version 4.6.03:
Screenshot 2023-06-03 144035

After clearing Tidal data from Rose Store and re-logging into Tidal:
Screenshot 2023-06-03 144636

Help please!

@Sparky

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Please answer 2 questions.

1. Does Flac play on other devices (mobile phone or PC)?
  2. If so, can you tell me your Tidal ID/PW? We’ll have to check whether it’s a problem with your Tidal account or a device problem.
    Please send it to eunseong96@citech.kr.

Thank you

An email reply has been sent.

Good evening Rosehan, Roseloa,

is there a solution for this?
I have the same problem.

I think it’s because if you stream Tidal one after the other from Roon (Win PC app) and Rose Connect (Win PC app) or create a playlist in one of the two and then play it, regardless of whether Roon or Tidal via Rose This display error occurs directly. The combination of Roon on Win11 and Rose Connect on Win11 seems problematic.
Only a complete reinstallation of Tidal (and only by logging in to Cennect App Premium on your cell phone) helps.

How was it solved (for Sparky)?

Neither deleting data in the Rose Tidal app nor reinstalling it helped me. Only not using Roon or Rose Connect can help. aac 97 kbit - error is very annoying. Please help.

Thanks for a solution approach.

→ By the way, the Tidal Cash function seems to take over the error, which is why aac 97 is always displayed because the track is saved that way…

Addition:
It seems like the cash function has a cause.
The error also occurs if Roon is not used in a session at all. The error usually occurs when I use the Windows Connect app.
It only helps to end the cash function and delete the cashu. Then the correct display returns.
Please correct the error, the cash function cannot be used and is more annoying than useful.

Hi MiKo,

The root cause of issue I had with the aac 97kbps showing up for all Tidal streams on the Rose Connect app (launched from a PC) was never identified. I’ve only experienced the issue with the Windows Rose Connect app and I never got a resolution from the technical team.

I found a work around by trying different things, as you are doing. If I first started a Tidal stream at the RS520 unit itself, then streamed from the Windows app, the bit rate and stream mode of FLAC was as you would expect for Tidal.

Since I hadn’t tried things in a while, and not since the release of Rose Connect version 4.14.08, I tried to start a Tidal stream immediately from the Rose Connect PC app today. The first selection I tried showed over 1100 kbps and it was FLAC! It worked this time, but I’ll try it again from a cold start and see if the aac low bit rate thing ever shows its ugly head again. I’ll let you know. I know your frustration with this, believe me, and hope that Hi-Fi Rose will respond to you with a solution!

Hi Sparky,

That doesn’t help either, only temporarily.
If you use the cache, the incorrect title is also saved and remains popular, even if you renew the app. Or just start with Connect App. It seems to have several causes.
It is also a fact for me that after using Roon and then the Win PC app, aac is displayed regularly. A horror!

This sometimes also has the effect that only the titles most recently saved in “My Tracks” are displayed with aac, all others are not. Depending on where you added the titles. This also looks like a programming error.

No answer from Rose about this. I’m slowly becoming horrified at the state of the programming, including this pointless favorite Tidal playlist, which doesn’t work and deletes playlists completely from Tidal if you don’t want to use a favorite playlist in Rose.

That’s why a lot of people want Tidal Connect so that no nonsense happens with the lists. I’ve described it in several posts…

Let’s hope that at least the aac problem will be solved…
Otherwise I like the devices - but the software…

Good 2024 to you