Rose rs520 internal drive problem

I install an internal drive, the recommended crucial 4tb.
Recognises and formats fine.
I start transferring files over LAN, works for a bit then drive dissappears.
If I physically remove the drive, and then replace it, it reappears. I do a reformat, start copying, same thing happens.

It is securely fitted in the bay. The second time I installed it I made double sure it was properly fitted all the way in.

My suspicion is that it is too hot and cuts out.
Even if it managed to not cut out, the heat generated in the bay is too much for a drive to last very long anyway.
I know these amps run hot, very hot.
If there was a way to have a extension cable away from inside the amp it would prolong the life of a drive, but it my case it just cuts out before I can finish copying files.
The USB option is only 32gb drives, leaving no choice but to buy a NAS.
I bought the 4tb drive just for this amp, and I can’t use it.

@Dude Do any of the music files copied actually appear on the disk - do you see them through the Rose?

I had a recent problem whereby files were being copied to a newly installed Samsung EVO 870 4TB SSD on my Rose RS150B and files seem to copy across and then later files in the copy were exhibiting 0 bytes in size. Tried this numerous times and just would not copy. Even those files which had the correct size were not on the SSD. Can only deduce they were buffered somewhere and did not get written to the SSD?

Resolved this by creating the “Music” directory where I wanted my files to reside on the SSD through the RS150B front panel (File Manager) - and copied some music files (couple of albums) from a USB drive plugged into the RS150B to the internal SSD. After that I could copy files over the LAN with no problem to the SSD.

1 Like

Hi @woorlord
Different situation. The drive disappears mid transfer. When I physically take it out and let it cool and then physically refit it the drive is seen again. When the drive is seen again all the files that got transfered are there and can play. Where the transfer was interrupted the partial files are not playable of course.
If I just play the files that made it, it works fine until the unit gets hot and the internal drive shuts off again and I have to take it out and repeat.
Partially transferred files are no good of course, so I reformat on the RS520 and try again, it gets too hot and the drive shuts off and is no longer available.

I hope that makes sense.
I think your RS150 doesn’t run as hot as the RS520 and you shouldn’t have the same issue, yours is a filing know how issue.
Thanks for replying, I’m glad you got to grips with the filing system.

1 Like

Hi,
You right, I have rose rs520 and the same problem for first downloading.
The decision to download ssd for the first time is on the photo

You can connect your ssd directly to PC and download all you need

The same. I used

to take ssd away and run it colder

Next problem is the DB limitation.
After 1.5 tb my rose rs520 limits DB with 49 k tracks.
No idea how to decide it yet

Hello,

RS520 cannot recognize the SSD
Would you let me know if this setting is turned on?

1. RS520 > Settings > Storage Settings > Storage Standby mode (ON/OFF)
  2. RS520 > Settings > System Settings > USB/SSD power activation in standby mode (ON/OFF/AUTO)

Hello,

After using the cable, does the RS520 no longer miss the SSD?

SSD was missed only throughout the first total (about 2.5 tb) loading by net. This was decided by downloading directly from PC. No missed after.
Overheating was decided by taking ssd out of the shell. But no problem with overheating when playback use internal ssd.
New problem is the DB limitation.
After 1.5 tb my rose rs520 limits DB with 49000 tracks.
Do you have any idea how to decide it?
Thanks

RS520 > Settings > Storage Settings > Storage Standby mode (ON/OFF)# OFF
RS520 > Settings > System Settings > USB/SSD power activation in standby mode (ON/OFF/AUTO)# ON
In my case, ssd have been recognized

Hello Maxx,

Would you check the message I sent you?

1 Like

Hi, I am thrilled to say the drive works great now, loaded all my tracks on in one go, fairly quickly, all plays with no problem. Also the heat is much less, the unit runs much cooler.
I don’t know how this happened through an update but it works great now!
Thank you for the fix and the joy it is bringing! Great job!