ROSE RSA780CD Player

Hi,

Can this CD player support MQA CD? How about SACD?

Regards,
Loo

1 Like

It should according to definition of MQA “standard”. Non-enabled MQA CD plays regular music. With connection to MQA enabled DAC (like Rose) it will be fully decoded.

Honestly I doubt it supports SACD or MQA CD. This is just a 20 USD CD-ROM with nice case. I use cheap CD-ROM drive and it works just fine. Original is slot mechanism so you can only use full sice CD with it. Cheap tray based CD-ROM will accept all sorts of discs. So there is added bonus on top.

What kind of external CD Drive you are using ?
Is there any list of compatible CD Transports and CD drives with HiFi Rose?
I’ve tried Technics SL-G700 , Oppo 205 , Oppo 105D ,Pioneer CDJ 2000 NXS2 and Marantz UD7007. HiFi Rose doesn’t recognize them as external CD drive .

You need a data drive. Like for a laptop. Just any €20 USB otg optical drive. It’s noisy while in high gear but it will be done ripping in no time.

I can advise that the RSA780 combined with an RS250 will see and read MQA cd as such. Please see the attached photo.

Also, I understand the naysayers who want to write this cd drive off as an over priced disc spinner. However, unless you have physically handled and used one… You will never appreciate the amazing quality of this device as well as it’s dead silent and vibration free operation… Something the $20 data drives referenced do not do… I know, I tried before purchasing this.
Additionally, many overlook the fact that the usb connection on this drive is optically/electronically isolated from downstream connections reducing noise from noisy usb connections for cd playback (see attached info photo from Rose). The cheap data drives do not offer that.

IMHO it is a fantastic drive and have not looked back once since making the purchase and do not miss the sloppy handling and noisy operation of the cheap data drive it replaced.

1 Like

Just a tiny question related to the cd ripping with the rose drive.
Will the new ripped music added to the database automaticly or do I have to do a new entire scan of database to include the ripped stuff

Ripped music is added automatically and instantly.

1 Like

nice to hear that. I get my drive in a few days.

Like I said, I got my Rose RSA780 disc drive today.

What a heavy brick :slight_smile: great piece of hardware.

I ripped my favourite albums to compare it with my dbpoweramp ripped versions from pc.

I am asking me, what the hidden *.inf files on the rosedisk do.

I wish I could configure some tiny things like

• eject on finish ripping session
  • configure the file name pattern like “track no - artist - title” with placeholders. These placeholders already exists from metadata editor so it would be nice to handle it in a custom way.

The results page for the ripped content should be easier recognisable. Maybe you can show a red or green dot on the same position as the results protocol button to show the results in a short way without any additional interaction.

It seems that the new ripped albums have more data in the files than my older ripped files. both are Flac files. Now I try to listen in detail to compare it.

Those hidden .inf files contain metadata about each track on the CD that was ripped. The info contained include the CDDB DISC ID that references what was used to look up the CD info, album name, the artist, track number, track title, etc. Presumably, that metadata is used in the internal database used in the Rose.

I opened these ins files in an editor to look inside.
It’s an interesting way to fill the Rose RS250 database to avoid the need of a complete db scan, but when you copy the entire folder to a backup storage, the ins files are added too in the target directory. I cant find any solution to skip/exclude the .inf files from a copy/backup session.

Next I will make listening sessions to compare my old Flac rips with a TEAC disc drive from Mac (with dbpoweramp) and the Rose RS250 rips with the Rose drive.

And I have to finde out, how I should handle the situation, when the disc recognition gives the wrong album meta data. Ripping and rename and re-tagging by hand is the solution at the moment.