RoseConnect wont find my RS520

I’m a new Rose user, and I can’t control it remotely. When I tried to connect the first time, it would only connect to my iPhone (running 17.5.1) if I used WiFi mode. I’m using the device via an Ethernet cable, and both iPhone and device are on the same network (192.168.X.X), yet my phone cannot see the device. When I search for it via IP, I get a flash message saying, ‘connection to the equipment failed’ IMG_4170|461x1000.

I’ve tried to find it on three phones and my MBP, yet it simply does not appear and can not be found by IP search. All units are on the same network and subnet, and the unit is working fine (so it’s connected to the network(tested in both Ethernet and WiFi mode). Steaming is working on Tidal, Spotify and ROseTube.

The App on the other hand is just not playing ball, even when I’ve deleted it several times on the various phones tested.

Rose firmware (4.19) is updated too, as is the App (4.19.04)

Are they on the same 192.168.1 (or 0).X network, or are the first X’s different? In the latter case they would be on different subnets.

Thanks, @BorisM. Your answer makes sense, but it does not provide a resolution for me.

For clarity, the IP’s are as follows:

RS520 is on 192.168.10.X
iPhone is on 192.168.50.X

The router utilises DCHP, so the IP’s are subject to change. As a consumer, I am not a network engineer, so how do I (and others) ensure these work as expected?

Depending on the subnet mask, this will never work.
Why do you have 2 different subnet for your LAN?
What IP does your router have? I assume its 192.168.10.1

Remember: 192.168.x.x is not the “same network”, if one Subnet has 192.168.50.x and the other has 192.168.10.x.
You also need to check the subnet mask (255.255.255.0 = /24, so only the mentioned IP is valid.

Connect to your router - and Change the DHCP IP Pool to
Start IP: 192.168.10.50 / END IP: 192.168.10.150.
Then apply - sometimes the router needs a reboot. (I don’t know who configured the router, but using 2 different IP Ranges will prevent to have access one to another)
please note, that changing the DHCP Pool, all your Wifi/WLAN Clients need to be re-connected. Hope this helps - you can also send me a personal message, to go in more details.

And just saying: to get both Subnet working with each other in the current configuration - your subnetmask should read 255.255.192.0 (not 255.255.255.0) . Technically your complete Network would then cover from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.63.254, which is a complete nonsense.

What @aswiss said. Would be helpful to know what router you are using, but generally this does not look like what a single network on normal consumer equipment would be.

While one could theoretically configure a single network like that, most consumer equipment, unless explicitly reconfigured (and for most it’s not even possible) uses a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. Which in simple terms means that only the last portion of the network address may be different (the DDD in aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd) for two addresses to be considered on the same network.

Check if your router has a setting for separating WiFi and wired connections into two separate network. Because it looks like this is what it is doing.

My Router is an ASUS ZenWiFi Pro ET12.

All connected devices are on 192.168.50.X, save for the 520 identifying as 192.168.10.x (as displayed on the device and RoseConnect, which isn’t actually connecting).

I have other offline devices, but I need the Mac address of the 520 to identify it. It does not appear in my device list despite my listing to a streamed radio station v when connected via Ethernet.

Did you add the IP manually into the 520? or is it set to Automatic?
If the rest of your connected devices are WLAN devices - then its clear.
If you are unaware, how your Router needs to be setup.
you can give your 520 a manual IP from the Range that works.
Fill in:
IP: 192.168.50.30 (make sure, you take an IP that is not used so far)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.50.1

with that set manually it could work - if not, you need to correct the settings in the Router, or let it done from someone how knows how to do it.

Or a switchback to factory default would probably switch it back - but then, you need to add a Password again for your WiFi.

Update:
I quickly checked the manual - looks like the default IP Range is 192.168.50.0 and the default DHCP Range is starting IP 192.168.50.2 and Last IP is 192.168.50.254. This setting is fine, if all devices are connected with Wifi, and the LAN cable devices are also connected to the Asus - then it should be fine with AUTO on the Rose.
it looks to me, that either you manually set a wrong IP in the Rose or your LAN Cable is not connected to the ASUS.
The MAC address shoud be found in the network settings (or Info, not sure about that).
Once you have it, you can go the your router, open the DHCP Settings Page and further down, you can add the MAC of your Rose and specify which IP you want - with this, your Rose will get this IP, the next time it boots. But again, make sure, that the LAN Cable is really attached to your Router - and not to another device you might have.
very weird

1 Like

Within my router, the LAN IP is 192.168.50.X

Looking at the IP Pool it starts 192.168.50.X and ends 192.168.50.X and this feeds a switch which distributes to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine which in turn distributes to the reest of the house via Ethernet, it’s own WiFi and APs placed around the home.

What I’ve discovered, with your help, is that both the ASUS and Dream Machine have their own Wifi both broadcasting on the same SSID, but on different Subnets (192.168.50.X and 192.168.10.X) respectively. What suprised me it that my iPhone picked up the Wifi from the Asus, which is the furthest AP away and took the 192.168.50.X IP and not the Ubiquiti Wifi of 192.168.10.X.

Switching the SSID of the Asus router forced my phone to connect to the Ubiquiti Wifi and hence the same IP ranges as the ethernet (and Wifi) distribution.

I hope this serves as a learning exercise for other complex internet set ups and thanks again @aswiss and @BorisM for your help and signposting.

1 Like

Glad you got it working, but generally, unless you are or have a good network administrator, and some very specific need for it (you would know if you did) it is a bad idea to run multiple routers, or DHCP servers, on a home network.