RS 250 - Suitable Power Amp and Speakers

Hi,

Stereonet Review commented that “While it can be used as a preamp to drive a power amp, the maximum output of 2.2V may be slightly on the low side for optimum results. Much depends on the sensitivity of the power amp and the efficiency of the loudspeakers."

Is the Elipson A2700 power amp with Sensitivity (V) : 9,5 dBu (sym), 3,5 dBu (asym) (2,3 V /1,15 V) used with RS 250 suitable to drive floor standing 89 dB speakers? Or an integrated amp more suitable?

Thank you.
George Kok

Appreciate a reply, advice or comments. Thanks

@Georgekok

We do not have the amp that you have. And regarding the connection, I can’t comment on which sound quality is better when connecting to a third-party product.
I’m really sorry. Please hear from other users

Hi, I rephrase my question. Is there any difference in sound quality - connecting RS250 direct to a power amp vs connecting to a pre/ power amp combo.
Thanks

Here are my observations with your question. I’ve connected the Rose RS250 directly to a power amp with excellent results. The RS250 can provide up to 2.2V at its single ended (asymmetrical or unbalanced) outputs. You get a very clean and enjoyable sound. However good your preamp or integrated amp inputs are, this is the preferred approach for me. I preferred to connect my turntable phono preamp output, and other outputs to the various inputs of the RS250 and allow it to drive the power amp. I have tried this direct connection with the Crown XLS1502, Benchmark AHB2, and WIllsenton R8 power amps. (The R8 is an integrated amp but I used the power amp input, not the other inputs). With the AHB2, this direct connection produced a sound that even cleaner and more immediate than running the RS250 USB out or RS250 SPDIF out into the Benchmark DAC3 HGC DAC/pre-amp, and the DAC3 driving the AHB2. The inbuilt RS250 DAC was as good as the DAC3 in most cases.

Thank you for sharing. I had wanted to buy the Elipson pre/ power as a set but the hifi store sales person told me connecting the power amp directly to RS250 should work well. So I’m just wondering whether I’m getting ‘good sound’ without the pre amp.

I need a preamp. The RS250 is not powerful enough to drive my two monoblocks’ tube amp.

Please share how you come to that conclusion. I’m quite certain your speakers will play loud when you turn up the RS 250 volume.
Thanks for sharing!

The max volume is not loud enough when the RS250 is connected directly to my power amp. When I use a preamp, I can adjust the RS250 volume comfortably between 30 to 70. Without the preamp, I was in the range of 60 to 100. My power amp is Black Ice F-100, tube monoblocks (power hungry) with KEF reference speakers. My tube preamp also enhances the sound, IMHO.

1 Like