RS130 : Dac AR DAC8 not recognized

Hello

I have issue with my DAC AudioResearch DAC8
When i bought RS130 he doesn’t reconize the DAC (on any USB)

My dealer graciously provided me with a IFi Purifier 3 that I received today
I do same checks as Christian and same issue.

Eric

@Eric
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Please answer a few questions.

1. You said that the external DAC is not recognized in all three USB ports on the RS130 rear. If you have a USB external hard drive or CD Rom, is it not recognized even if you connect it to the USB port on the RS130 rear?
  2. When connecting an external DAC to the RS130 rear, does the same symptom occur even if you replace various USB cables?
  3. If you have a network streamer other than RS130, will it not be recognized even if you connect an external DAC to that streamer?

Hi Rosehan

1. External drive reconized, and scan DB can be launch
  2. I try 3 different USB Cables, issue remains
  3. Before RS130 i had Cambridge CXN V2 and Auralic Aries G1, no issues with them

PS : To have continuity of ground i let RCA75ohms cable connected during checks

C’ est quand meme infernal ces DAC non reconnus sur le Rs130!!! Pas mal de retours negatifs sur ce point. Je me demandais si j’allais prendre un Rs130 à la place du Rs150b et bien non, cet appareil est bien trop buggué

Le RS130 n’est pas buggé mais effectivement il y a un soucis avec la sortie usb audio qui d’après Rose est très sensible à cause de son isolation.
Normalement les deux autres sorties USB 3.0 fonctionnent parfaitement.

Pour ma part j’ai eu le soucis au début avec la sortie usb audio, résolu avec l’ajout d’un Ifi Purifier 3.

Ce serait bien que Rose corrige cela mais apparemment ils n’ont pas de solution.

Tu as raison mais une personne avec son Dac a mis cet accessoire sans succés, c’est un peu fort quand même

Dear Rose users

Other external DACs can be connected to RS130, but among the DACs that cannot be connected, please tell me the model name of the DAC that cannot be connected even if the cable is changed.

We will purchase and test the DAC if it is available.

Audioresearch DAC 8
https://www.arcdb.ws/model/DAC8

@Eric

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We did some research on the AudioRearch DAC8.
AudioRearch DAC8 is not compatible with Linux-based devices via USB.

When connecting AudioResearch DAC8 and Rose device, please use coaxial or optical connection.

We are conveying the contents of the message received from AudioResearch.

I called and talked to Audio Research to try and get some clarification. They told me the $950 upgrade is to replace the USB input with two new boards, not the DAC board itself. The person I spoke with said he didn’t believe the new board would work with Linux.

Chris’ recent review of the new DAC9, and the discussion in the comments section are enlightening. Presumably the $950 DAC8 USB upgrade is merely the same USB interface ARC is providing on the DAC9, which sounds to be problematic. ARC actually posted the following in the comments section:

"Here at Audio Research, we own up to the shortcomings of the USB interface and have been working diligently on a replacement interface since we first discovered the limitations late last year. Unfortunately, our original design placed the priority on Windows as our primary platform for validation testing. Moving forward, the focus and majority of our validation testing will be on Linux and macOS platforms.

As Chris mentions in his review, we are committed to releasing an update this year. Original owners who have registered their product will be notified and given preferential treatment.

We are happy to report this weekend, we completed our first round of Linux compatibility testing with a new USB solution. The real challenge is ensuring any new solution we develop will retrofit all of our current products such as the DAC9 as well as much of our legacy product. Our engineering team is working to rectify the issue quickly.

The DAC9 has great architecture and the proof is in the listening. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused by the limitations of the USB interface. We care deeply about our customer’s happiness and when we find limitations like this, we take finding a fix very seriously. For those facing these limitations, we recommend the following workarounds:

For macOS platforms: set your player software to only use PCM up to 192kHz.
For Linux platforms: use a USB to SPDIF converter such as the Aurender UC 100 USB/SPDIF converter.
For Windows platforms: enjoy the full capability of the USB interface."

Hi Rosehan,
Many thanks for your investigation
I use the SPDIF output and it works well.
I am a little bit disapointed, but it’s not on Rose side, but on the AR side.

I enjoy the musical quality of Rose RS130 everyday, it’s a very good device, and i recommand it.

Regards
Eric