RS150 - Spotify vs Tidal

Looking to get into the RS150 - I am newbie to this digital space as I have been analog only. Taking the plunge because I’m hearing so many great things about this unit. Any insights into which streaming services are best (spotify, tidal, etc) for someone that currently uses spotify exclusively…knowing that the sound quality is inferior on spotify vs tidal, for example. What are the best services for someone that is deep into the alternative music realm?

Hi,

Why do you want an RS150? is the question

If you are in the realm of Spotify I would not recommend any streamer over 500 euros. Get a bluesound second hand and your golden.

If want better sound fist go get a high ress streaming service. Tidal, Qubuz, Amazone HD, Deezer.

Than look at your hifi system and look if the RS150 wil fit into the rest of your set, I mean 4400 euro streamer with an sets that 3rde of that price would but not very good. Yeah i have the money… But i would advice to upgrade amp and speakers for that kind of money.

Spotify’s streams run at three compression rates: a frankly miserly 96kbps, 160kbps and 320kbps. If you’re paying for Spotify, rather than using the free tier, everything comes across at 320kbps.
Most inter radios have better or equal bit rate as Spotify

Tidal, by way of contrast, streams at a CD-quality 1411kbps on its ‘HiFi’ tier.

alternative if you want HIFI Rose product. What i really can understand. Buy the RS250.

Have fun and enjoy the music.

Thanks Tom…very much appreciate your insights.
I currently have a Bluesound unit (which I need to plug my speakers into) so, essentially, I’m not getting the sound ‘value’ out of my amp. I do have highend equipment (airtight amp, kuzma TT, whest phono, Jan Allearts cartridge and Harbeth 40.2 speakers. So, I do use spotify for music on my portable devices (and largely for podcasts) so I was considering the RS150 as a means of listening to digital on my home system in a manner which provided hi res audio streaming from TIdal…make sense?

Yes totally get that. Know a few people that use Spotify just of all the years of making playlists.

And bluesound amp/streamer are decent for what it is.

RS150 is nice for what it is but really needs Tidal or Qobuz as a streaming service.
You will be amazed how good streaming got in the last few years.

But it is a big step from an old amp/streamer to the RS150. If your willing it’s great! Most dealers will let check it out and even use a for days at home. Try it… see if it tickles your ears the right way.