RS150B and RA180 volume issue

I have the RS150B connected to my RA180. My question is, should the volume on the ra180 be all the way up if I’m using the RS150 to control volume.

@Bebe1234

You can use it like that, but it is recommended to set the volume of RS150b to 99 and adjust the volume of RA180.

Thank you

Im using BTL mode and if i turn the Rose 150 to 99 then i can’t hear the RA180 at lower volume. Its vey distorted. Can you give me more on how to set it up so i can hear it clearly from the 180 ? Thanks

@Bebe1234

If the volume of the RS150b is set to 99 and the volume of the RA180 is low, of course the sound comes out low. If the volume is low, increase the volume of the RA180 and use it.

Thank you

SIR, I know when you turn down the dial you have lower volume. When i have it down low it actually sounds horrible. It is NOT clear. I should have checked the customer support on these products before spending $12000 on them because this is not customer support. I wasn’t looking for a condescending response.

Have you tried adjusting the pre out level in the input/output settings on the RS150? You can change the output voltage of the analog outputs. I use a McIntosh preamp with my RS150B - the amp can accept up to 10V using balanced XLR inputs.

Which ports are you using to connect to the RA180? Maybe you are overdriving the input stage to the preamp which might be causing distortion. The pre out level can adjust the max voltage up to the default of 6.5V (6500 mV).

I did try using the RS150B software volume - but then, as you noted, you have to set the volume on the preamp to the max level you want and then further control using the RS150B. My worry is that the volume control on the RS150B may not be as precise and I could accidentally cause power issue to the speakers and blow them out. So, I settled in disabling the RA150B software volume control, leaving it fixed level and just using the volume controls on my preamp.

Thats what it was. Finally got it dialed in very nicely. Thanks