RS250 - Managing files during and after ripping

1. Before ripping CD path must be selected EVERY TIME! This should be fixed to permanent path on SSD or system should use defalt folder created automatically in root.!
  2. CD ripping menu and path selecting is only available via screen of the unit, not in the app. Please add this functionality to the app both mobile as well as PC!
  3. Once ripped there is no option to rename „unknown” artist nor songs names – please advice!
  4. Once ripped there is no option to move folders/files – please advice!
  5. Ripped files are not visible in the folder when using Android app. This must be fixed asap! Files are displayed in the Windows app as well as on the screen of the device. See screens below - both show the same folder content.

Android app view:

Windows app view:

Hi @Michal - I believe it’s not possible yet for the Rose to edit/delete/copy files - although we have read here that these functionalities will be added at some point.

I have a RS150 and I am going through ripping many CDs to the internal SSD.

Have you had problems with the data being saved after a CD rip?

I have experienced:

1. a few cases where album/artist/song titles end up saved but full of character/type/font errors.

2. a few more where albums end up been saved in two parts, some song in one and the remaining in another - always associated with a character/type/font error as well.

Is this happening to anyone else here?

@ Alessandro,
Thanks for response.

I did not experience the same problems as you HOWEVER recognition of artist/album does not work properly. Eg. system DID NOT display any info of MJ’s “Thriller” - only cover was found, no artist name, no album title, no songs titles were found! For God sake - this is the most sold album in the history of music! The only album I managed to rip correctly was GM’s FAITH - all meta data and cover were found and stored properly.

As for letters display one must choose proper coding - UTF-8 or ISO-xxxx etc from the list before ripping

There are other problems with music ripping:

1. Some songs are ripped with errors - clipping sound during playback as if CD was mechanically damaged ans laser got stuck. And this happened to a brand new CD !
  2. Ripping errors happen if you decide to “play” with the unit while ripping. Just avoid touching the screen, remote or app during ripping.
  3. Occasional “freeze” of the unit and mechanical reboot is the only solution.

There is a long list of problems related to playback of 4K as well but this is not the place to write bout them.

Thank you @Michal - much helpful to hear what other Rose users are going through.

Like you, I have also had albums which are not recognised at all - just as with your ‘Thriller’, I have - for example - tried a few times with The Beatles’ Abbey Road remastered, and have had same result as yours. So, we’re not talking about obscure releases here.

I was reading that metadata databases go through some regular maintenance throughout the day, so - my hope/guess - is that these errors could have happened during these maintenance times?

I have UTF-8 as the set up coding - the letter displays are all perfect BEFORE the rip but the errors with characters/letters/fonts only appear AFTER the rip…perhaps @ROSELOA could kindly advise if I should consider a change in these settings or if it’s correct to carry on with UTF-8, given the problems I have encountered?

I still cannot explain how - for some CDs - the saved result is an album split in two.

Also, like you, I have had 3/4 CDs which have caused a complete “freeze” of the unit in the middle of a rip and the unit had to be restarted/rebooted. Tried these CDs elsewhere and they play OK so I have no idea what causes these “freezes” on the Rose either.

I will keep in mind what you said about avoid doing anything else whilst ripping as I have many (and many) more CDs still to go through…!

After ripping 2 CDs I removed SSD from rose and plugged to my PC. Than I managed all files, titles, covers. End results: 2 folders with complete informations. However Rose displays them as 3 folders and while 1 folder contains allmost all data of CD2 another one contains 1 song of the CD2 which as a fact is in another folder (phisically). There are no 3 folders on an SSD! I do not care for CD ripping and playback so much but since I’ve paid I expect the unit to run properly.

Hi @alessandro

Same here… I’ve also faced the same issues. It’s very frustrating as we still could not see the albums after ripping and I’ve to resort to playing the songs by going to the folder level and search for it! :angry:

Wondering if Rose support gonna do anything to resolve this fundamental issues?

Hello,

We’re checking the issues that Alessandro had mentioned.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you @ROSELOA - I have provided the Rose team a good summary of all the issues I have encountered in detail, having ripped hundreds (and hundreds…!!) of CDs on the Rose and I am sure that problems will be fixed.

On the specific issue @Michal and myself mentioned in November, I am now 100% sure that this only happens when trying to rip (or even play) a ‘hybrid’ CD ( = a CD that contains a data file, generally at the end, be this a video, an interview or else and there are many in the market of this kind as music labels add extra content to their CD releases…). When such a ‘hybrid’ CD is played, the Rose doesn’t read the metadata or it freezes or it just rejects it all together.

Anyway, I am confident that all issues will - eventually - be solved.