RS250 USB Audio out does not work

Hi,

I have a 3 month old HifiRose RS250. Love the streamer. For the past few weeks (I belive an OTA update triggered it) the Audio USB out port does not recognize any DAC, they used to work fine before. The same DACs are recognized and work fine by connecting to the other USB port, thats ment to be used for connecting external storage. I have tried Chord, Denafrips and the internal DAC in my Denon, and used many different audio USB cables. The Audio out port provides power in the USB cable just fine, but external DAC is never discovered - no hand shake. Any one else face this issue? Any response from HifiRose?

Thank you,
Siva

@Kib_reddy

I’m sorry for the late reply.
I have a few questions to give you an accurate answer.

1. Can you find the external DAC no matter what USB port I connect to the back of the RS250?

2. If there is another network player or PC, will it be recognized when the DAC is connected?

3. If there is another USB cable, does the DAC not recognized the same when connected?

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. The RS250 recognizes the external DAC ONLY when connected to the USB port marked ‘USB 3.0’. It does NOT work when connected to the USB port marked ‘USB Audio Out’. Please see picture below, DAC works when connected to the Rose like in the picture only.

2. Yes, the DACs get recognized when connected to other devices like Laptops. Like I said I have tried with several DAC, all don’t work on the USB audio out port.

3. I have tried with several USB cables to verify that it is not a problem with the cable.

Thank you,
Siva

@Kib_reddy

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The reason why it is not recognized when connected to the “USB Audio Out” port is that the USB Audio Out port has an isolator, so it is not recognized differently from the USB 3.0 port.
Please connect to the recognized port and use it for a while. The cause needs further analysis.

Please answer only two questions.

1. Please tell me the cable you are using and the model name of the DAC.
  2. What if you connect it with a general PC cable instead of an audio cable?

Thank you

Hi,

1.I tested with two different cables, Furutech and Wireworld.
2. I tested with a generic printer cable, got the same result.

It should be noted that the audio out USB does provide power. Just not audio. We can do a video chat if needed and I can show you.

Thank you for the awesome service.

Thank you,
Siva

@Kib_reddy

We’ve also used DACs and cables in a similar environment to you, but the same symptoms don’t come out.
We will try aging again and see if the same symptoms come out.

For the time being, even if it is inconvenient, you will have to use the USB 3.0 port.

Thank you

Has there been a fix for this issue? My Mac Pro doesn’t see my RS250 USB “B” output either. The download referenced in the owners manual does not exist on the HIFI Rose website.

@GWD55

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

First, I will give you a link to download the RS250 owners manual at the link below.

It looks like you are trying to play music stored in Mac pro by connecting Mac pro and RS250 via USB.
If so, please follow the method below.

1. In the In/Out settings for RS250a, select USB IN from the Input section.

2. Connect the USB-B port on the rear of the RS250a to the USB-A port on the PC with a USB cable.

3. Play a digital sound source on the PC. Volume is controlled by the PC player volume.
    If you select RS250a as the PC’s sound output, the sound will be played from RS250a.