RS250 USB Input doesn’t work

Hello,
I have an Aurender N100H music server outputting USB to RS250 and I do not hear any or barely any sound with my amp at 50% volume. Then when I turn my amp all the way maximum, I could hear music/sound at very low volume. The Aurender worked fine with two other DACs I have. Please help. Thanks!!

@Maisond

What is the setting value in Rose device–>In/Out Settings–>Pre-out level setting?

Thank you

Level out is not adjustable for USB. Also, I use this strictly as a DAC so preout is max (or no volume control)

@Maisond

As a result of checking, when connecting the Aurender N100H and RS250 (DAC) via USB, you need to increase the USB output volume from Aurender N100H. Just like raising the volume on a PC, because RS250 cannot control the volume when using it as a USB DAC (USB-IN).

Thank you

I have an Aurender ACS10. I tried connecting it to my RS180B via USB before. I guess you want to try the Aurender app to control music playing on the ROSE in addition to finding out if such a set up is good or not.

I didn’t have the extreme volume issue you reported but the sound level under such USB-DAC in my case was really lower. I had to turn up the volume about 30% more than the case I played music via network connection.

Furthermore, I found the sound quality under such ACS10 - USB - RS180B DAC arrangement was not as good as the network connection. Not sure if the “lower USB volume input” causes it. I didn’t explore further.

Anyway, there’s a function in Aurender’s app. Try “Reset DAC Volume” to see if it helps. Although it doesn’t help in my case, it may help in your case.

BUT DO NOTE that after I executed the function, there was an error message showing up on the Aurrender. I don’t remember what the error message was but it was something about volume error of the machine or the DAC.

Despite that, my Aurender and ROSE functioned normally. And that error message was gone after I restarted the Aurender.

So please judge it yourself if you want to try (risk) it or not.

In addition, remember to turn the volume on your RS250 down to zero first.

Hi TomT
Thanks for the reply and the help. I tried that when I fist got the RS250 a few times and I tried it again just now… Still doesn’t work.

Sorry to hear that, Maisond.

If your intention is to replace ROSE app with the Aurender app, ROON is probably the best solution for now although music straight from ROSE is better than via ROON, not to mention the latter is a pay service.

Sadly, ROSE app is not that user-friendly and efficient. Especially after adding and modifying files, ROSE app takes a long time to update.

Aurender’s Conductor is much much much much better in this regards.

I really like the music performance from my ROSE RS150B and RA180. I tried to be patient with its app but can’t help ending up with ROON.

Really hope ROSE can put more focus and energy on improving their app as I saw many people in this forum saying that they are giving up their ROSE devices because of the app’s poor performance.

Hope ROSE can really listen and response to the real needs and feedbacks from customers.

Thanks Tom.

I tried the USB input again tonight with Sony HAP-Z1ES and it’s the same. At this point, I think the USB input is defective.

As for the app, I just don’t get it. The Conductor app is more than 6yrs old and it works very well, not much of a learning curve there and same with the app for the Sony HAP-Z1ES, it just simply works. I don’t understand how Rose can call themselves high end when the app is so klunky and the older devices like apps on the Z1ES and the Conductor works so well and easy. Perhaps Rose have way too many functions in these units and as such it’s very poorly implemented. I do love the touchscreen and the contents available on RoseTube though but I’m not sure it’s enough to sway me. Hell, I’m even thinking about upgrading to the 150B. Man… Decisions decisions. Thanks for making an effort to help and posting your experience.

Hi Maisond,

Do you mean you have no problem with the Sony DAC? Then it’s possible the USB input on your RS250 is defective.

Totally agreed with you the Conductor app today is a very good one. But the Conductor app wasn’t that good in the beginning. I used Aurender’s first generation product before. The app at that time was buggy too. Many years’ continual updates make it better and better.

As a user like you, it is really hard for me to tolerate the under-par Rose App, especially we’ve been using the high quality Conductor app before.

But logically I understand, Rose is a new company, to be fair, we need to give them some patients if we want to stick with their hardware.

So I sought Roon to fill my needs. Surely not a perfect solution but it is something I have to put up with for now.