Rs250A - Analog setup Part 2, help please

Dear Friends, how good to meet again.

A while ago, I asked a question very similar to the one I will ask today.

I’m using the RS250A output level at 1000 mV with my PrimaLuna EVO 300, and the audio volume is still low, but the sound quality is fantastic…
But, I need to turn up the PrimaLuna’s volume, a little more than usual.

Please, I want to know if I can cause any type of damage to the PrimaLuna EVO 300, or to the RS250A, if I configure the output level setting at 2000 mV.

Very grateful for your help and suggestions, José.

Switch it to 2000 or 2200. You’ll be fine.

1 Like

Hello Hans!
It’s a pleasure to greet you!

Really, are you sure that if I change it to 2000 mV, I won’t cause damage to my equipment?
I forgot to mention, that my columns are Wharfedale Elysian 4 and I have the amplifier set to 4oms…

These are the column specifications:

Treble 3.5″ (90mm) Air Motion Transformer.
Midrange 6.0″ (150mm) with coated fiberglass matrix cone.
Bass: 8.5″ (220 mm) fiberglass matrix cone.
Nominal impedance 4Ω (8Ω compatible).
Crossover frequency 340Hz, 3.1kHz.
Frequency response 30Hz – 22kHz (+/-3dB).
Sensitivity 92dB (2.83V @1m).
Recommended amplifier power 15 – 250W.
Weight 109.1 lbs.
Dimensions (HxWxD).
46.8″ x 15.8″ x 17.0″.

Really, are you sure I won’t break anything?

Thanks for your help.

2 Volt is the standard in home hifi for unbalanced connections.

Dear Hans!

Finally, I followed your advice and was listening to different albums that I know by heart for more than 1 hour and apparently everything sounds perfect and without any problems.

The audio sounds different (much better) you can appreciate textures and planes that you didn’t know about from the discs I used to do the tests, thank you for your help.

José.

1 Like

The standard output level of cd-players is often over 3V. My dac has exactly 3V. Cd-players used to be a lot louder than other components like tuners, cassette decks etc. which are usually at less than 2.5V. That’s the usual standard level, 2.5V.

On the input side there is supposed to be plenty of headroom. What happens when you feed to much amplitude is that the signal starts clipping, it starts distorting. And this is clearly audible. That is called overmodulation distortion. This can be accompanied by peaks in the signal, but those wil be filtered by the output- or power-stage. Highly unlikely that this will damage the speakers.

If you have an amplifier with a small power supply (ie a cheap amp) or a small amp and you try to drive low impedance dipping speakers at level 10, your output stage will start clipping and that can definitely distroy your tweeters. Even more so than lots of power can fry small woofers. But none of this will happen if you actually listen to the sound and turn the volume down when distortion gets bad.

Here is another thing that I learned when doing PA; every step of amplification has an optimal soundlevel to get the least amount of noise and distortion and the optimum dynamic range. If your microphones are to quiet on the mixing console you need to turn the power amps way up, causing a lot of noise (amplified from the consoles noise). If you drive the mixing console to hard, it starts overmodulating but you’ll have a lot less noise.

So, if your output of your Rose is low, into a normally rated 2.5V input amplifier you’ll lose dynamic range and get more noise. Not much, but noticable. Some preamps are more sensitive and like a bit lower input. I remember my Audio Note Oto had 2 tubes 12au7 and 12ax7 in series and was quite ‘hot’. I hardly ever went past 9 o’ clock on that 10W amp. I didn’t agree on that design. The person I sold it to removed the 12au7’s and he said it performed much better. But the Rose can cater to that by reducing the output.

So; 2500mV is standard. The rest is FYI

1 Like

Jeep, thank you for your response and sharing knowledge, I really appreciate it.

For a couple of days now, I have been set to 2000 mv; Yesterday I experienced that the RS250A screen went completely black, the audio playback was cut off and the only thing that remained on was the power button.

I left my concern in the forum, I’m waiting for feedback from Hifi Rose, to see what it could be.

José.

See my answer in the respective thread. I had to think about it a while. Bummer. But like it says in big soft letters on the cover of the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy: “DON’T PANIC”

1 Like

Ciao io dal primo giorno ho settato a 2000mv proprio perché rispetto ad altri Dac e CD il segnale era basso, ma nin ho riscontrato nessun problema di funzionamento

1 Like